Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Wheel Bearings

cmaxman39

Hi all, does anyone know how and is it difficult to change the front wheel bearings?

Cheers

Hi all, does anyone know how and is it difficult to change the front wheel bearings?

Cheers

without access to a press and the correct tools then yes it will be.

I have seen these hub kits and it comes with a bolt and washer, do they pull off with that?

Bearings tend to be in very tight.

You would have to press out the old ones and then seat the new ones too.

You might be able to knock them with a correctly sized socket head and a BFH. (big f###### hammer) but won't be able to judge if it will work until you attempt it.

The bearings are an interference fit, which as above means they are in very very tight. I doubt you will knock the old Shell out with a hammer to be honest, the hub maybe. some bearings i have done have taken about 10tonne to shift them! i have also broken a steering knuckle before.

the bolts and washer is to hold the driveshaft and hub/bearing together, it is also set to a certain torque, too tight or loose and you will damage the bearing.

without the gear, you might be best to remove the knuckle and take it along with the bearing to a local garage and ask them to replace it

• 2 weeks later...

I think my wheel bearings are on their way out too. How do I know to be 100% certain its the bearings? The cmax makes a whirring noise from the front wheels and I'm guessing its this. Do any of you know what prices garages charge for changing bearings? Cars only done 41k miles.

Oh and hello to you all by the way.

I think my wheel bearings are on their way out too. How do I know to be 100% certain its the bearings? The cmax makes a whirring noise from the front wheels and I'm guessing its this. Do any of you know what prices garages charge for changing bearings? Cars only done 41k miles.

Oh and hello to you all by the way.

usually you will get a bit of noise when rotating the wheel. extreme cases you could get a bit of play.

it will depend on the cost of the bearing, but you are looking at about 1-1.5 hours labour.

That doesn't sound so bad. I'm having the front disc and pads renewed Tuesday so I think the bearings will have to wait a while.

Had both of mine done today. Cost £70 for both bearings and £60 for fitting by a mate.

So a garage may charge up to £200.

Well I had the front discs and pads renewed at a cost of £186. There is no problem with the bearings thank goodness. The guy said I didn't have standard 16 inch alloys and the 18's were probably making the noise.

• 1 month later...

hi, i needed a new front wheel bearing but the local garage said a special tool was needed,which would take ages to arrive so i got a complete hub carrier from a spare parts site and changed the carrier myself in a couple of hours problem solved for £40 ,note the part was a used part.good luck terry.

Sometimes the best way to go Terry. I have done plenty of wheel bearings, but only once have I broken the knuckle! Couldn't believe it, lucky managed to get one at my local breakers same day.

In the end I just fitted the knuckle from the breakers. You take a chance that the bearing is ok though

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club