Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Insurance Dodgers... Would You Shop One?

jeebowhite

Well, the time has come again... I bear a grudge! unfortunately for those who fall foul of my grudges, they usually end up paying in one way or another, and today, is no exception.

My recent grudge involved me checking out a motor.

Permission for the car to be on the road - yes - Taxed

Permission for the car to be used or stored on the road - nope! - it has no insurance according to my 'sources'...

So, seems I have a civil duty to report this menace to those who can take action. So the question is, do it openly (walk into the station and hand over the details?) or report anonymously via crimestoppers, or Mind My Own Business?

I am personally not a fan of the latter, my grudge was already considerable, but after my discovery, it has subsequently soared into its own league.

So I will be reporting him, if my source still indicates after 5 days that insurance is not present (allowing it to take a few days to catch up in case its slow).

So the question I pose to you, if you found out about a dodger of tax, insurance, or any other legal requirement, would you shop them? would you be brazen, or would you do it anonymously? or would you walk on by?

I'm pretty certain you know what my response would be.

To check insurance status for yourself (but not [officially] others ;) )

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

To report untaxed vehicles.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/onlineservices/report_unlicensed.aspx

Remember every car on the road untaxed or uninsured is costing you all money.

Get hit by an uninsured car and you get the rumping.

Get hit by an untaxed car and it's the same problem, (untaxed cars tend not to be insured either, and their insurance will be void if held anyway).

Not that i condone vigilantism but you all have free choice. ;)

shop them and record it for us all to be pleased with .I had a mate who used to brag about no tax and mot....he soon learned!

Stoney, I had definately known what your answer was lol.

when I posted this yesterday it had already been 5 days since I last checked its Insurance. Checked again this morning, as I somehow had some time!

So checked again, Tax remains valid, Insurance shows as still not being on the M.I.D, so I shopped him this morning.

So I will now be watching for the response from the police, and also will be watching in the local rags for the little so and so's details to appear :)

So checked again, Tax remains valid, Insurance shows as still not being on the M.I.D, so I shopped him this morning.

Nice one Jeebo , these people are usually the ones that damage innocent peoples cars .

Stoney thats a very handy link :)

Yeah, just got to be careful as technically if you use the "own vehicle" check, you could end up in trouble if you check someone elses car, as its technically a breach of Data Protection Act 1998 Rev 2. However, you can pay the site a small amount of money and check a car not owned by yourself.

Its amazing what the web has to offer...

there's quite a few on my street i will be checking out now. Thanks for the links.

Yeah, just got to be careful as technically if you use the "own vehicle" check, you could end up in trouble if you check someone elses car, as its technically a breach of Data Protection Act 1998 Rev 2. However, you can pay the site a small amount of money and check a car not owned by yourself.

Its amazing what the web has to offer...

I was going to check a few down my road , I can see its a breach of data protection act but how would anyone find out you were checking some other car?

Oh god yes... if I have to pay for Insurance and tax etc why should someone else get away with not doing it!

Two years ago when I put my private plate on this car from last I completely forgot to update my insurance till I was pulled and the copper said I was and was not insured,he also said that this has never happened to him before before but I cannot let you go.The car was insured but under its original reg not the private plate.An innocent mistake that was costly.

I was going to check a few down my road , I can see its a breach of data protection act but how would anyone find out you were checking some other car?

Technically it is a breach of DPA and they would log an IP address against a request, however if you report your findings through crimestoppers who guarantee anonymitty... or you could if you wanted pay askmid for other vehicles checks...

I would rather be cautioned for breach of DPA than have someone uninsured drive the streets!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club