Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Washing The Engine?

Tato

Hi guys

I would like to wash the engine of my Fiesta and I thought that you guys could give me some tips. Is there anything that I should know before washing it? Is it a good idea to wash it with a high pressure water pistol?

Thanks in advance!

I've always taken mine to someone who can wash them. Think it usually costs me a tenner. Rather pay that than attempt it myself and have to shed out more replacing things

i put a plastic bag over the battery and where you pour the oil and brake fluid in then pressure wash it :)

You.didn't have any problems after right?

Pretty sure your supposed to steam clean engines not use a pressure washer

Pretty sure your supposed to steam clean engines not use a pressure washer

I was also thinking about the steam clean, but I am not sure if I find any around...

I used my local body shops on my old focus

Cover the appropriate parts with cling fling (or similar) then spray down with an APC. Rinse with an open hose, don't use anything with pressure, makes things harder to control.

I then dress with an aerospace sealant.

Rinse with an open hose

£1,000 fine if you do that round these parts ;)

Just leave your bonnet up loads of rain about

From what a lot of people have told me its best not to use a pressure washer on it as it can cause damage to the engine. Steam cleaning is better, thats if you have one of course but they say that if you have the time and can be bothered clean it all by hand with a small sponge or a small fabric hand mitt is always your best bet. always remembering to protect the battery, oil filler and all those bits and bobs.

From what a lot of people have told me its best not to use a pressure washer on it as it can cause damage to the engine. Steam cleaning is better, thats if you have one of course but they say that if you have the time and can be bothered clean it all by hand with a small sponge or a small fabric hand mitt is always your best bet. always remembering to protect the battery, oil filler and all those bits and bobs.

Probably that's the best thing to do. One day take a few hours and wash it by hand. I am waiting for sunny days and I will do that because I don't want to damage anything. Takes longer but it safe at least.

• 6 months later...

Hello guys and girls!

I'd really really appreciate if someone could post some pics of the necessary parts being covered next time you wash your engine!

I tried cleaning mine with cg hfew spray, a small brush and compressed air but took really really long, and without any good result so I quit it. Many parts out of my reach too...

So far I've read about covering the battery, air intake, alternator. I have quite a few cables whose rubber dressing is short on their ends so I got quite a few reservations. Anyone having done the procedure with rinsing, if you could post some pics I'd really appreciate it.

thnx in advance

I just use a wet micro fibre cloth and scrub :P

and add some back to black stuff

Does it clean well or leave residue? How about the areas hard to reach like around the oil indicator or lower?

I guess black on black or any other dressing (AG VRC, 303 etc) will not stick there if there are dirt remains...

Do you have any pics?

For the harder to reach areas I use some detailing brushes, yeah you're right. The back to black doesn't work on a dirty engine.

Here's an old pic after some detailing:

fordfaction15.jpg

thanks mate, looks nice. Those are the areas that I managed to clean myself more or less. It's the others like around the oil indicator and such that troubled me. I' think I'll try some wheell brushes for them. Otherwise detailing brushes too :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club