Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyfob Help And Starting Car Help

billy880

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help on a couple of issues i have.

I just brought a 2.0 zetec 2001 (y-reg) ford focus and the dealer handed me the keys to which i tried unlocking the door and nothing, the key wasnt working.

The guy opened up the keyfob and there was no battery in the key, he didnt have a spare battery to hand so he grabbed another ford mondeo key to show me how to program my focus once getting a battery and his mondeo key worked fine on my car when he programmed it infront of me (turning key on/off 4 times until a bleep)

Anyway to cut a long story short i brought a new battery, fitted it to my key and i try to programe it but the key still doesnt work on any of the 3 buttons.

Can i just buy another 2nd hand ford key (as ive seen loads on ebay) and program that, i think along the line someone has tried with the key i have as the casing inside (plastic) the key is broke..

Thats my 1st prob so i hope some one can enlighten me!

another problem is that when i start the car its abit grumpy as it starts, once you rev it it idles fine but its like its very grogey as it fires up,

i thought coilpack?????? but i didnt want to get a new one if it wasnt the case soi thought id ask someone on here??

Hope someone can help???

Hi,

If you buy an identical key off eBay you can transfer the transponder chip from your old key across.

It slides out of the key body with gentle pushing with a small screwdriver (it's in a rubber sleeve).

You need this for the ignition to work.

Your old key blade will just clip on and then you just need to reprogramme the key to the central locking as you've been advised.

When was the car serviced?

Maybe it just needs an oil change and a flush through with an engine cleaner like BG244.

Hope this helps you.

Hi,

If you buy an identical key off eBay you can transfer the transponder chip from your old key across.

It slides out of the key body with gentle pushing with a small screwdriver (it's in a rubber sleeve).

You need this for the ignition to work.

Your old key blade will just clip on and then you just need to reprogramme the key to the central locking as you've been advised.

When was the car serviced?

Maybe it just needs an oil change and a flush through with an engine cleaner like BG244.

Hope this helps you.

hi thanks

whats the transponder chip, is it the green circuit board?

so i need to take out the chip from the key i buy? and replace with mine?

How come the guy got the central locking working on another key though? i thought u just buy a key and just programme it aand it would work?

i think it was serviced yesterday but i noticed when u start it it struggles abit to start then u rev it, sometimes it sounds abit juddery, so i thought coil pack but i dont know what to do?

The transponder chip is for the immobiliser only.

When you take the key apart you will see a square bump sticking up from the end of the case.

Look at the end and you should see a small round glass tube.

That's the bit you need to transplant.

The central locking bit is purely from the circuit board which seems to be the bit you say is broken.

This is what you need.

It has an old transponder in it so you can refine the removal technique before transferring your working one.

http://bit.ly/HLGSvI

The transponder chip is for the immobiliser only.

When you take the key apart you will see a square bump sticking up from the end of the case.

Look at the end and you should see a small round glass tube.

That's the bit you need to transplant.

The central locking bit is purely from the circuit board which seems to be the bit you say is broken.

This is what you need.

It has an old transponder in it so you can refine the removal technique before transferring your working one.

http://bit.ly/HLGSvI

good news guys, my bro inlaw just popped round with aa mondeo key and he changed over the transponder bit , glass tube with rubber mounting and the car now works and starts!! :) only thing i noticed is that when u press lock once it locks the passenger door only first then when u press a 2nd time it locks the drivers, so u have to press the lock button twice to lock the car does that sound right???

also regarding the starting problem, do u think it would be a good idea to put a fresh set of plugs in first before changing the coil?

could it just be the plugs????

thanks for your help! well pleased so far!

Two stage lock/unlock is standard.

On locking second push is deadlock and on unlock drivers door only on first push is anti hijack to stop someone jumping in your passenger door.

thanks mate

so regarding the groggy start up issue, shall i just change the plugs or would it be better to change the coil pack, there both about the same price but what would you do first to eliminate?

if it is plugs first do u have any decent recommendations on plugs?

I'd do plugs, HT and coil pack.

Have a good look at the plugs you remove which will give you an idea of the health of the engine.

NGK or Champion plugs of the right rating will be fine.

Silly question, but is there a certain amount of time you have with the transponder disconnected before it doesn't work resulting in does having to trying program?

Only reason I ask is I need to replace mine soon

The transponder chip itself is passive and is basically the same as RFID chips that are implanted into dogs. It has no power supply so does not lose programming at all.

The central locking circuit is powered and as long as you change batteries quickly then it will be ok.

hi guys

another problem this morning!

i started the car up and it started fine but it was a little smokey (white) for about 5 seconds and it smelt of petrol, outside of the car????

The transponder chip itself is passive and is basically the same as RFID chips that are implanted into dogs. It has no power supply so does not lose programming at all.

The central locking circuit is powered and as long as you change batteries quickly then it will be ok.

Cool, i have re set my central locking my self before, but i was told that if i leave the battery out of the remote to long i will need to got to for to get the key reprogramed as the car wont start. Basically my key looks battered and i wanna replace the Shell. so in theory no matter how long it takes me to change the chip, nothing will happen. and if the remote central locking didnt work after its just a case of the on off x4 to reprogram?

Absolutely correct.

Ford just like convincing you that only they can do certain things.

They aren't the only ones though.

One of my oppos drives a Vauxhall combo van(spit) and had the service light come on.

He did his own service and Vauxhall (spit) were going to charge him silly money to reset the light.

I did it for him in 10 seconds for free.

Dealers really don't help themselves (except to our money).

im sorry to the o.p for seemingly high jacking his thread, but how easy does the transponder come out? is it simple to change the fob over on a mk1 focus? Also is there any way to change from the horrible key to the flip out key :)?

To remove the transponder you just push it from the bottom end very gently with a small screwdriver and it slides up inside a rubber sleeve.

To add a flip key on a MK1 is easy, just buy an unprogrammed one from eBay with an uncut key blade. (tibbe type on a MK1).

As long as you have two original keys you can add another yourself.

It's only when you get to the MK2 and above you have to get someone to code the key via the data port.

i only have 1 key unfortunately . thats why i wanted to reshell it as such, just to keep it extra safe lol

In that case I'd still buy a flip key from eBay and get it cut and coded by a Auto locksmith.

It will cosy you a few quid but still far cheaper than Ford will rush you for.

Just make sure they add the key as a standard one and don't clone your original one or else that will stop you adding more keys yourself at a later date if so wished.

nice one cheers. i got key care insurance and they pay up to a grand for replacements if they are "lost" lol

im sorry to the o.p for seemingly high jacking his thread, but how easy does the transponder come out? is it simple to change the fob over on a mk1 focus? Also is there any way to change from the horrible key to the flip out key :)?

hi

i dont know about the flip out key but my bro inlaw changed my standard key fob within a minute just make sure u change the transponder (thats what i was confused about) it looks like a little bulb, u just need to take that part out and change it to the new key.....and took him 15 seconds to program the new mondeo key to work with my car, if u dont change that part i dont think the car will start although the central locking will work

p.no worrys about high jacking were all here to help!

The transponder is the most important part as without that your immobiliser will nod disengage.

There's a ring around the ignition barrel that transmits a radio frequency and looks for the sympathetic resonance from the transponder. If it doesn't get that then the car will not start.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club