Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting Mk2.5 Rear Lights To A Mk2 Focus (Inc. Rs/st Dual Red Mod)

Nigel S

How to fit the facelift clear rear lights to a pre-facelift car (with the red lights).

1) Remove your original lights and bulb holders.

Pic1.jpg

2) Before cutting any wires look at the loom at comes with the new lights, there are 4 wires and the original car has 5. You should see a wire running from the orange bulb holder to the white one on the new loom, this is the earth wire to the white holder, cut this wire closer to the orange one.

3) Cut the original indicator plug off the car’s loom (2 wires).

4) Cut the remaining wires to the orange holder, make sure they are cut to a different length to the one cut in number 2 (this way you know which wire is the common earth).

5) Using a multi meter on continuity find the other earth wire, connect this to the black wire on the car’s original loom.

6) Connect the other wire (cut in no 4) to the other wire from the car’s loom.

7) Check the indicator works (make sure all wiring joints are insulated).

8 ) You will notice you have a “spare” earth wire that used to go to the tail light holder – cut in 2). You can use this it to provide an earth if you fit LEDS in the indicator part of the light, if not insulate its end (see separate guide).

9) Cut the black wire on the cars tail light loom and connect it to the earth wire.

10) The remaining two wires on the car’s loom are the brake and tail light feed, as looms may vary you will need to check which is which using your multi meter.

11) Connect them to the remaining 2 wires on the new loom and test that your bulb lights with a single dim element for tail light and a bright one for the brakes). Once you have them correct insulate all joins. Remember the wire for the tail light as you’ll need to use it if you fit the LEDs in the indicator part of the light.

Pic2.jpg

How to fit LEDs in to the indicator light (to replicate the facelift ST and RS lights)

1) You’ll need to buy some LEDs on strips like these and wire them (+&-) as shown, use thin wire, speaker cable is too thick and not pliable enough, make the negative wire shorter so you know which is which.

Pic3.jpg

I’d recommend 3 LEDs no more otherwise the indicator will not be visible enough.

2) Drill a small hole under where the indicator bulb holder fits and remove an debris that gets in to the light.

Feed the wires through from the inside.

Pic4.jpg

3) Tuck the LEDs inside the light vertically down from the indicator bulb, once happy with the fit take off the sticky paper and stick down (trial fitting allows you to bend the wire in to shape first, you’ll need to pull the LED strip out before taking off the stick backing paper).

Pic6.jpg

4) Connect the negative wire to the spare earth wire on the indicator bulb holder (point 8 in the light fitting guide above).

5) Connect the positive wire to the tail light wire on the tail light bulb holder (point 11 in the light fitting guide above).

Pic5.jpg

6) Turn your rear lights on and the LEDs also light up, they remain illuminated with the indicators too, as so the Ford lights on the facelift ST and RS.

DSCF13281-1.jpg

Notes:

 Ensure that all wiring connectors are fully insulated and be careful when you test connections.

 Don’t cut, test or connect wires with the lights turned on.

 Use a multi meter, don’t mix up earth and power wires.

 When you cut the plugs off the car’s loom leave enough wire on them to reconnect them if you want to refit the original lights.

 Make sure all wires are tidy when you refit the lights to avoid nipping a wire by accident.

By following these guides you take responsibility for the correct and safe modification of the car and your personal safety. You also take responsibility for the legality of the modification, saying someone told you to is no excuse in the eyes of the law.

Guide followed, fitted to my car:

Well worth the hour to do the whole job (lights and LEDs).

Mk2.5 clear rear lights fitted:

Focus41small.jpg

Focus42small.jpg

Modded for RS/ST dual red look:

Focus44small.jpg

Focus45small.jpg

I have done this MOD about a month or so ago , and does look very good , i did it slightly different in the way i uese 6 LED's and drilled 6 holes in the side and placed the LED's on the edge of the cluster , but works the same.

Only slight niggle for me is the LED's are a better looking "RED" than the actual side light bulbs so on close inspection there is a slight difference in colours.

But effect is very good and the indicator does not get overwelmed by the LED's which is good.

• Like 1

have you got a pick with the indicators on too? would like to see how they stand out against the new LEDs

• Like 1

Before

IMG_0090.jpg

After

IMG_0088.jpg

Indicator On

IMG_0082.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Pree (sorry not had time to take pictures - been very busy recently)

My brothers (the black car in the guide) passed an MOT modded this way.

• Like 1

Thanks Pree (sorry not had time to take pictures - been very busy recently)

My brothers (the black car in the guide) passed an MOT modded this way.

Hi Nigel

Thats good to know , indicators are nice and clear , but if it failed it's easy to remove them anyway :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody fitted genuine RS / ST LED lights?

DSC00894.jpg

zkmtr9.jpg

They look cool. I assume it's hard to get them and they might be expensive.....

• Like 1

You can buy the genuine st rear lights as a kit from ford, costs about £200. Most dealer and parts websites have them, or can get them from teamtorquesteer.com

:)

• Like 1

It was just a thought as I have not seen ST light on the forum. I have an estate, fitted genuine facelift LED lights and they look much better in the night than standard lights.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just bought a set of the RS MK2 LED Rear lights off eBay for £100 but i am waiting for the loom to come from Fords at a cost of £60.

Soon as i have it all i will look at fitting these to my 07 ST3.

Not sure to tint them before fitting while im waiting.

• Like 1

I just bought a set of the RS MK2 LED Rear lights off ebay for £100 but i am waiting for the loom to come from Fords at a cost of £60.

Soon as i have it all i will look at fitting these to my 07 ST3.

Not sure to tint them before fitting while im waiting.

well done youve saved yourself over 160 pounds, i too considered giving them a light smoke tint around 15% but i never bothered,

See my fitting guide here: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/43587-guide-fitting-ford-rs-led-rear-light-units-focus-mk25/

Cheers for the info Lenny. Excellent breakdown. Am I right in thinking there is 3 connections to the led part?

I only took them out the box, quick check to make sure they wasn't cracked n put them back in.

I currently have the original half red half white on there n they have been tinted with spray professionally n look good but I rather the led look but not sure whether to leave them all white or tint them.

CheeRs again.

Cheers for the info Lenny. Excellent breakdown. Am I right in thinking there is 3 connections to the led part?

I only took them out the box, quick check to make sure they wasn't cracked n put them back in.

I currently have the original half red half white on there n they have been tinted with spray professionally n look good but I rather the led look but not sure whether to leave them all white or tint them.

CheeRs again.

no prob,

Yeah mate three brown cables to the led section,

I see your fitting to a mk2 model, so the loom will need wiring,

If i was you,

Id find a mk2.5 thats breaking either local or on eBay,

Get the tail light loom sockets with some loom cut out of the mk2.5

Then cut the plug section off your existing lights and make a male mk2 to female mk2.5 loom,

You can then plug the mk2.5 tail lights straight in to mk2.5 sockets without trying to figure out the additional led cables since all three are brown.

Just an idea mate,

I saw this RS had tint film applied and i reckon the film gives it a nice gloss black sorta shine,

But given the cost of the units i was sceptical about altering them encase it didnt workout rite,

Ford-Focus-RS-Green-Tail-Light-Tinting-R

• Like 1

Ahh right. I c what u mean now. As the 3 brown cables that go to the LED part r part of the new loom I have bought, as long as the loom in the car functions through into the new loom the led should work.

Am I understanding u correctly?

I was just gonna match up the live n earths, cut the plug off the new loom n join the cables but I guess it won't work like that.

• Like 1

Ahh right. I c what u mean now. As the 3 brown cables that go to the LED part r part of the new loom I have bought, as long as the loom in the car functions through into the new loom the led should work.

Am I understanding u correctly?

I was just gonna match up the live n earths, cut the plug off the new loom n join the cables but I guess it won't work like that.

yes thats correct mate,

Your idea of cutting and splicing will work fine aswell,

The led brown cables will come as part of the ford loom you purchased,

The only issue was the difference in loom plug/socket between the mk2 and mk2.5 models,

But cutting and splicing will work fine,

The additional brown cables still join in to other cables on the 4 port plug,

It still ends in 4 terminals so easy enough to follow, i was just thinking of a way to connect them without cutting the looms as this would help retain there resale value if you ever decided to sell them onwards,

Perhaps be easiest to cut looms and use crimp terminals,

Plug/socket instead of twist and tape,

IMG_20130803_003810_zps0c9ce2da.jpg

• Like 1

Im liking the look of the tinted lights on the RS pic a lot so i will prob get a light smoke tint and have a go. I have the fly eye tint on the front lights and it looks ok but i think i rather the smooth look.

I see what you are saying about not cutting the loom in case i swap it back to sell but i would prob leave them on if i got the right money and keep the plugs n solder them back on if i didnt.

Thanks for the info and your help mate. No doubt i will be asking you for advice again soon enough lol.

Not fitted the push button start by any chance have you?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Im liking the look of the tinted lights on the RS pic a lot so i will prob get a light smoke tint and have a go. I have the fly eye tint on the front lights and it looks ok but i think i rather the smooth look.

I see what you are saying about not cutting the loom in case i swap it back to sell but i would prob leave them on if i got the right money and keep the plugs n solder them back on if i didnt.

Thanks for the info and your help mate. No doubt i will be asking you for advice again soon enough lol.

Not fitted the push button start by any chance have you?

Thanks.

no bother feel free to contact anytime,

Ive nit fitted the push start mate :) i saw a video on youtube from the guys at mightycarmods and decided not to bother :lol:

see there vid below, these guys are epic i highly recommend watching every episode mate there a great laugh,

But i have the haynes manual should you need reference and if your not logged on here using the app,

Click on my avator image to view my profile page,

Ive got links to my 28 modification guides there, some you may find of interest,

The links dont show on the app for some reason.

• Like 1

I did have the push button start working for a few weeks until the relay decided to give up so i joined the cranking wire back up and used the key again.

Just finding time to have another go at it.

I will check out your mods now mate. Im sure there will be something on there that i fancy doing n you seem to know your stuff so i appreciate your help mate.

Thank you :)

• Like 1

Ive fitted genuine focus rs rears to my mk2

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

well done :)

Hi Lenny.

I'm gonna fit the lights this weekend work permitting but I just wondered. Did you fit LED Bulbs for your indicators or brakes lights before fitting?

I'm not sure there are any but it would be nice to do now with the LED sides already in.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club