Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Audio Update - The Changes

Mark M.K

Hello all,

From reading another topic i found out ford have released another update for cars with USB. The reslease files don't give much away as to what it changes. But from what i can tell, it has made 3 changes for my radio (Sony head unit) They are:

Much better stability for my iPhone

A song timer in the right hand side of the screen

and the sound (i think) has improved a little.

This update is for the following cars:

Fiesta: July 2008 - December 2011

Focus: February 2008 - January 2012

C-MAX: February 2008 - January 2012

Kuga: February 2008 - January 2012

Mondeo: September 2008 - January 2012

S-MAX: September 2008 - January 2012

Galaxy: September 2008 - January 2012

Transit: from June 2009

Ranger: from April 2009

If your car is built after the above quoted dates, you do not need to update.

You can get the update from here: http://www.ford-mobi...ownloadsUpdates

For anybody who has trouble with the update, make sure you have done the following:

Make sure you extract all files to the highest level of the USB stick. Example, E: Do not put it into a folder. The update has 21 files

If you have done it correct, you will see the following when in the car:

cf1a1ee0.jpg

Wait around 10 mins and you will get a message saying the update has finished. Turn off your radio and back on again.

If the update was done right, the only change you will see is this, when playing music via bluetooth

eb64296d.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iNath

• adamc260

• Mark M.K

• GJC

I take it you have the black and white display screen there, to go with the Sony player... Is your stereo the DAB one or just FM. I ask because my fester is being updated and they are not sure if my current red colour display multi line screen will need changing when the DAB Sony unit is fitted? Apart from it matching the Sony in illumination, or for functional purposes..

That's useful to know, thanks!

I ask because my fester is being updated and they are not sure if my current red colour display multi line screen will need changing when the DAB Sony unit is fitted? Apart from it matching the Sony in illumination, or for functional purposes..

It doesn't need changing - it'll be down to your preference. I've swapped my red display for a black and white one. Just trying to device whether to keep it or not as it doesn't match the ambient lighting.

It doesn't need changing - it'll be down to your preference. I've swapped my red display for a black and white one. Just trying to device whether to keep it or not as it doesn't match the ambient lighting.

Well, when the dealers take out said FM silver unit, and put in one Sony DAB unit, if the original screen display works fine reading the new radio details, i may leave it. Or... opt for the matching Sony display (black n white)..? See... But if the original one does not say, RADIO> ASST > DAB for example, then it will have to be changed regardless. So you just changed screens, which makes me think they only do the job they intended, display the info the radio sends... :D I saw another chap here showing pictures of a ford software update on his black & white display today whilst browsing, so was able to see the difference in the 2.

Well, when the dealers take out said FM silver unit, and put in one Sony DAB unit, if the original screen display works fine reading the new radio details, i may leave it. Or... opt for the matching Sony display (black n white)..? See... But if the original one does not say, RADIO> ASST > DAB for example, then it will have to be changed regardless. So you just changed screens, which makes me think they only do the job they intended, display the info the radio sends... :D I saw another chap here showing pictures of a ford software update on his black & white display today whilst browsing, so was able to see the difference in the 2.

Correct - same screen with different backlight/LEDs and just displays what the radio tells it to.

I read elsewhere some new ford Stereo's have lsot the womans voice and you have a robotic type one instead. Does this change the voice?

So is this update like fresh out today ?

I shall give it a try.

It's new this month, and is a very welcomed update in my view. The last update seemed rushed to me because the iPhone had many bugs with Fords bluetooth.

As for the voice, i don't know. I don't tend to use voice control.

I just tried this update on my car and again it just says USB initialising - no files found on USB device - it does this for three different USB keys that I've tried.

I've extracted everything to the root of the USB, I've extracted just the AU files to the root and still the same error across all three devices.

Does it have to be FAT16 ? All of them are over 4gb so they're formatted FAT32 thats the only thing I can think of that might be causing this.

That or because my car was built last month it already has this software and the system says no files found if its already up to date ? Not too sure . . .

Any help ?

Here's what i've found from Ford's website:

1. Download the "Ford Audio Update" files and save the Zip-File at any location of your Personal Computer.
  2. Open the "Ford Audio Update"Zip-File.
  3. Extract only the ".bvc" and ".vbf" files corresponding to your current Voice Control language to the highest-level directory of your USB flash drive
  4. Example for English language: Choose files "8M5T-14D511-AU.bvc" and "8M5T-14D511-AU.vbf". Extract both from the Zip-File and save them in the top-level folder of your USB flash drive. Please make sure that no other files than ".bvc" and ".vbf" are available on the USB flash drive.
  5. Proceed with step 2 of the Ford Audio Update Instructions.

Yeah I've tried just putting the two AU files on the USB and nothing as well

Still throws up - "No files on USB device" after it says "USB initialising"

Not sure what else to try. Can I ask what make and model USB you used and how it was formatted ?

I used a standard sandisk USB stick, it might be that your car already has the update.

Do fords do this update for free ? , i have a sandisk usb but not sure how to save to a special place on my usb ? i not that computer illiterate lol , whats the highest level of the USB stick ? where would this be found ? sorry to be a bit dim

Do fords do this update for free ? , i have a sandisk usb but not sure how to save to a special place on my usb ? i not that computer illiterate lol , whats the highest level of the USB stick ? where would this be found ? sorry to be a bit dim

The highest level is the first one you see on the USB stick e.g. E:\

Not E:\Folder1

I am now reformatting my stick to NTSF format , however my update was done over 2 months ago and i have the same picture as shown when playing music through bluetooth anyway , however i will give another go and see what happens

reformatted to NTSF and now the system does not recognise the stick usb at all

I've just checked my memory stick, and its formatted to FAT which is the default setting.

I've just checked my memory stick, and its formatted to FAT which is the default setting.

With my work IT hat on you will most likely need FAT or FAT32. Due to licencing reasons NTFS is a Microsoft format and may not be recognised by devices where the maker doesn;t want to pay Microsofts licence fee.

The choice of FAT or FAT32 depends on the size of the memory stick, I'd guess FAT32 would be the best for anything over 512MB, as it uses smaller cluster sizes so you lose less stick space to the overhead of the formatting.

For anybody who is confused, this is how you need to have the files for the car to read it. It wont work any other way. Do not

put the files into a folder.

foc.jpg

My Fiesta built in Jan12 must have come with the update as it is exactly same as 2 nd picture

Also I am unable to update it using them files on the usb card so maybe the head unit knows that it is the latest update

thanks for posting pics

now just to sort out my bonnet catch and no seatbelt warning etc

Well NTFS didn't work so back to the FAT32 option.

Can anybody who was successful with updating say the exact size and model and make of USB they used and what formatting they used on it ?

I'm guessing it says no files found because the car was built in March and has this update but I'm not so sure.

New update! Missed loads. Thanks Mark

Well NTFS didn't work so back to the FAT32 option.

Can anybody who was successful with updating say the exact size and model and make of USB they used and what formatting they used on it ?

I'm guessing it says no files found because the car was built in March and has this update but I'm not so sure.

When you plug it in does anything happen? Usually you see a message about "usb initialiasing" for a few seconds on the display as you plug in a USB stick of music.

EDIT- Just done mine, You need to follow the instructions to start it, I too go the no files found when I plugged the USB in until I read the instructions.

My stick is 128MB and the format is FAT32

Turn the car off. Turn the radio on (1 hour mode), Plug in the USB (says no files found here) , Turn the car to II. The update then starts and takes 10 mins or so.,

Do it in the wrong order and it won't work...

If you cant make it work drop me a PM and I'l lpost my stick to you.