Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Overtaking In Driving School Car

GIBRALTAR FIESTA

I have done more than 99% of my driving on the right. I learned to drive and passed the test in Gibraltar (drives on the right even though it's a British Overseas Territory) and driven a little in the U.K. but not much.

I'm coming to the U.K. for a week next month and have booked refresher lessons with a driving school because I lack confidence in driving on the left.

If the Instructor will let me I look forward to overtaking. This is going to be fun. The last thing any driver expects from a driving school car is to be overtaken :D

I can never remember seeing one do so. Has anyone ever been overtaken by a Driving School Car and, if so, what was your reaction?

Bill, might I say well done on your efforts! its nice to see that a driver who is coming over, is looking to do all they can to ensure that they are the best driver they can be! so very well done to you on that front!

I trust that it wont be too problematic, your first lesson might be a bit slow, for the first part, but I suspect that within the first or second lesson, you will be doing a fair pace, and perhaps overtaking!

Have you already contacted a driving school close to where you are going?

As for the driving school car, cant say I have ever been overtaken by one. Been Cut Up and have flown past them, but never overtaken... lol

I would like to see that. LOL

I dont think you would have a problem driving on the left. It will be getting used to a right hand drive car that will require some practice.

I enjoy driving on the Continent, provided its in my own car. I dont like driving left hookers, but given a few weeks I probably would get used to it. I usually try changing gear with the door handle.

Hi GF, once overtaking (if you feel the need to) you'll feel right at home i'm sure, because then you are back on the side of the road to which you are accustomed... Just remember to move back over to the left if you see any approaching traffic though! :blink:

The first time i did any Continental driving i as worried about the dreaded overtaking manouevre too... I need'nt have worried though... The French are just so much better regarding the whole overtaking thing, that any problems i envisaged never materialised ;)

Be warned though! British drivers really are pretty awful! You really have to watch out for them... If they DO indicate at all, bank on the indication being wrong, the rest of the time they'll simply ASSUME you know where they are going to swerve to next. Be prepared to experience shocking lane discipline,selfishness, and "oneupmanship" simply for the sake of it. Forget trying to keep a reasonable distance between yourself and the car in front... If anybody behind you see's "a gap" they will overtake you simply to fill that "gap" (as they see it).

Just class driving over here as being a defensive excercise, i wouldn't advise being offensive in driving style, because the "next man" WILL hit your car rather than (In his eyes) "chicken out". Be prepared to stop at each and every traffic island/roundabout you encounter, even if you have priority, expect a car to come from nowhere as brits have an affinity of only indicating OFF a roundabout (what's the point?) NOT on to it... :blink:

I'll await the stick for my post from other brits :D

Most are as patriotic as they are bad at driving! :D WAIT FOR IT! ;)

DISCLAIMER FOR MY ABOVE POST I'm not tarring ALL british drivers with the same brush, most are ok (me included) but you do need to watch out for "british quirks" when driving over here...

DISCLAIMER FOR MY ABOVE POST I'm not tarring ALL british drivers with the same brush, most are ok (me included) but you do need to watch out for "british quirks" when driving over here...

Unless you're an advanced pursuit driver ;)

Thanks for all your replies. Yes, I have booked lessons with a driving school.

If you think that drivers in the U.K. are bad you should try driving in Spain, or worse still, Portugal. I once did a tour around Portugal with two friends from the U.K. neither of whom fancied driving on the right. I drove the 600 or so miles myself. Never again :o

I am persuit level one trained :D ... or at least, when I get pulled for doing 160mph in my reasonably priced car.. thats the excuse I will tell the officer... :P

Hi GF, once overtaking (if you feel the need to) you'll feel right at home i'm sure, because then you are back on the side of the road to which you are accustomed... Just remember to move back over to the left if you see any approaching traffic though! :blink:

The first time i did any continental driving i as worried about the dreaded overtaking manouevre too... I need'nt have worried though... The French are just so much better regarding the whole overtaking thing, that any problems i envisaged never materialised ;)

Be warned though! British drivers really are pretty awful! You really have to watch out for them... If they DO indicate at all, bank on the indication being wrong, the rest of the time they'll simply ASSUME you know where they are going to swerve to next. Be prepared to experience shocking lane discipline,selfishness, and "oneupmanship" simply for the sake of it. Forget trying to keep a reasonable distance between yourself and the car in front... If anybody behind you see's "a gap" they will overtake you simply to fill that "gap" (as they see it).

Just class driving over here as being a defensive excercise, i wouldn't advise being offensive in driving style, because the "next man" WILL hit your car rather than (In his eyes) "chicken out". Be prepared to stop at each and every traffic island/roundabout you encounter, even if you have priority, expect a car to come from nowhere as brits have an affinity of only indicating OFF a roundabout (what's the point?) NOT on to it... :blink:

I'll await the stick for my post from other brits :D

Most are as patriotic as they are bad at driving! :D WAIT FOR IT! ;)

I live very close to and work on 2 US Air Force bases (My dad is actually a yank; I like to think of myself as a hybrid) and you would not BELIEVE some of the behaviour around here. When the airmen get stationed over here they are warned about roundabouts (they call them 'traffic cirles') and 'crazy brit drivers' and are banned from overtaking. There are quite a few fatalities around here caused by - how should I put this - 'enthusiastic' young drivers in extremely quick souped up Mustangs etc. It is an absolute NIGHTMARE trying to predict what they are going to do, and you end up having to drive under the assumption that everyone in an American spec car is actively trying to engage in vehicular combat - and that would be a short battle indeed. I'm fairly certain a Dodge Ram could snort up a Fiesta and spit out little Fiesta cubes.

Must be lakenheath and mildenhall.

Used to go drinking in lakenheath from my base not far away.

Good times.

Must be lakenheath and mildenhall.

Used to go drinking in lakenheath from my base not far away.

Good times.

Aye, indeed. Small world!

btmaldon hit the nail on the head.It's not driving on the "wrong" side of the road :D that is the problem it's RHD - Gear changing is pretty automatic for me with the right hand but I need to think for a split second when doing it with the left hand - I'm looking forward to it :P

My dad is a driving instructor who offers pass plus - part of which is experiencing things you may not have covered in your standard driving lessons. One is motorway driving, and obviously if the pupil is approaching a slow vehicle and is able to safely and confidently overtake than they can do - so yeah driving school cars do overtake sometimes - (although having said that some driving school cars might not wear their headboards on pass plus lessons, so without any other company lettering you might not even know you're getting overtaken by driving school cars).

:)

Paul.

Stoney.. Please do remind me of that codeword... :P

As Paul said, they can be very discreet cars, nowadays (like Taxi's or Police Cars), you dont necessarily need the headboards, and it reduces resistance, increases fuel economy, and so short of "Bobs Skool of Motirin" on the side of the car, who knows...

I remember overtaking people on my Pass Plus, that was superb. I even overtook an ambulance on blue lights... that was an awkward moment...

Stoney.. Please do remind me of that codeword... :P

Sorry, one shot deal :P

I remember overtaking people on my Pass Plus, that was superb. I even overtook an ambulance on blue lights... that was an awkward moment...

Ambulances don't go that fast, wouldn't pay to have the patients bouncing around too much and the vehicles are too top heavy to really crank it.

You wouldn't get past me on the blues though - guaranteed. I go like a stabbed rat and the dogs love it (their crates are padded anyway).

Bowls, better getting diggin for that pass phrase!

the dogs need a padded cage, couldnt see any force holding the dogs in a standard metal cage...

and if I wouldnt get done, I would give you a bleedin good run for your money! ;)

I thought the code word was sorry. Good job I havent had reason to use it.

Bowls, better getting diggin for that pass phrase!

Yep, ^_^

the dogs need a padded cage, couldnt see any force holding the dogs in a standard metal cage...

They rip through standard crates like butter, glad i don't pay for them.

Only thing that stops them is my voice (and the wife's if i'm not around)

and if I wouldnt get done, I would give you a bleedin good run for your money! ;)

:P Of course ;)

I thought the code word was sorry. Good job I havent had reason to use it.

The first words you should say after being cautioned is "Please don't hit me again Officer" :D

lol loving the words after caution! that wowuld be superb... Also find it amusing that they listen to your missus! you must have trained them well!

lol loving the words after caution! that wowuld be superb... Also find it amusing that they listen to your missus! you must have trained them well!

Actually i think she's trained me.

I had to teach her the commands they are trained to and the volume and inflection of the voice.

If i'm away somewhere without the dogs they guard her like a Queen.

Woe betide anyone gets too close to her when she walks them.

Thats pretty cool! I am impressed!..

oops... just noticed we deviated... by quite some miles!

oops... just noticed we deviated... by quite some miles!

Shmit happens. ;)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club