Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Is Best?

r1chm

Hello all you Fordies!

Im recently tempted to trade in my 1.6 petrol Vx Astra mk5 for a 2010 Ford Fiesta 1.6 tdci Titanium, but ive also seen the a same spec 1.4 tdci.

I think both of these cars are either TAX Free or £20 per annum, I cant remember. Which is ideal.

Im tempted for the 1.6 due to the fuel economy seems better? And of course the extra performance. However, I cant see there being *that much* difference between a 1.4 and 1.6 diesel... or am I wrong?

My Astra is the 115bhp model and I know these 1.6 Fiesta's are only 95bhp, but the torque figures seem so much higher... I;ve never owned a diesel before though so I dont know whether this means much.

Which engine would people recommend for equal mixture of motorway and town driving?

Ive also seen a 1.6 Zetec S which looks great with with body kit. Ive not seen many titaniums with the body kit though? Im tempted with the titanium because its "top spec" so to speak. What are peoples opinions on the spec difference? Is it worth spending the extra funds for a titanium spec? and will the Sport body kit fit it retrospectively?

Lastly (sorry for all the questions) I've seen a 2009 1.6 Titanium [full leather] for sub £5,500. The only problem is it is HIGH milage for a 2009 registered car, im talking 90-odd thousand miles! Full Ford SH though apparently. Should this ring alarm bells in terms of future reliability?

Thanks for any help.

Rich

Get the 1.6, I've driven both and the 1.4 is nippy to pull away but then pretty gutless.

If you want toys (cruise control, auto lights & wipers etc) go for the Titanium. If you want the looks go for the Zetec-S.

The body kit can be retrofitted but is very expensive.

Thanks for your comments iNath.

Unfortunately I think I want toys and looks........ so this might turn out to be expensive ... <_<

You can get the titanium with the 'dress up kit' to make it look like the Zetec S

Hi, I have a 1.6 TDCi 5dr Titanium and I think its very good on performance and economy. I came from a 210BHP Mini JCW, which granted was a lot faster :) but I was only getting about 25MPG and now I'm getting 50MPG+, and VED has dropped from £290 to £20! And insurance from £1000 to £400. I don't feel short changed in performance in the real world either. However, it didn't come with the body kit. I'm in the process of getting this fitted. I've kept my eye on eBay over the last few months, and bought all the parts in Vision Blue I need as follows:

Rear roof spoiler £100

Rear Bumper £180

Front bumper skirt £120

MS Design DRL £210 (painted & fitted)

I think that's a bargain tbh.

There are loads of Zetec S body kit parts and even a couple of full Leather interiors for £400-500. So you could go for a slightly less spec'd car with less miles and then add the bits you want.

All I need is side skirts. I think I'm going to get some 3dr ones and modify them to fit.

I looked at the 1.4TDCi, but there's not a great deal of difference in economy, insurance or VED, so I opted for the extra performance of the 1.6. Mines a 90HP btw.

Which is best?

" There's only one way to find out.... .....FIGHTTTT!!!!!! "

Thanks for the responses.

Slightly concerned by the MPG figures of around 50? I thought the 1.6 was much higher at around 70-80mpg? Or do you lot just have lead feet? :D

I think im going to look around for a 1.6 Titanium and buy the Zetec S splitter etc at a later date. Best of both worlds, and to be honest if the parts can be acquired from eBay at those prices, not too expensive!

Now just to decide on 3dr or 5dr <_<

Does anyone have any thoughts on the 90k+ miler I mentioned earlier? If it does indeed have a FFSH do you think the high milage matters?

Cheers

If ur after good economy and reasonable performance the 1.6 diesel is ok, had mine 3 weeks now and its returning 60mpg everyday use and 67mpg on a run, and the power is in a usable band so motorway overtaking is easy in top gear. The road tax is just 20 quid a year, like Nathan says if u want looks zetec S, toys Titanium. For me didn't see the poing of getting toys that would irritate me like auto wipers and headlights, I prefer to have control and by the time u done talking to the car to select radio or CD etc or on the titanium the heating controls its far quicker to just press a button or turn a knob, if you get a zetec just make sure its got blue tooth as its good to listen to ur itunes and chat via blootooth without messing about with the USB. The 1.4 diesel is a bit underpowered and u gonna pay the same road tax and have similar economy to the 1.6 so u might as well go for the higher capacity engine.

As for folding mirrors and stuff, the car is narrow anyway and its something else to break in years ahead, if it was a SUV with huge mirrors I could see the point but not on a fiesta!

Anyway what ever u get I'm sure it will be right for you... enjoy ;)

Hi, I try and take it easy tbh. I bought it expecting 60mpg+ however, half of my journey is fairly hilly and I have the 17" alloys. Neither of these factors will help. On a long run at 65mph on cruise I can get 65mpg+, but that's rare u do that kind of trip. I also do 90miles a day.

Realistic MPG on the 1.6TDCI is 50-65MPG depending on the type of journeys and driving style. I get about 55MPG out of mine day to day commuting, shopping, etc and between 65-67MPG on a nice long run. Remember that the Fiesta TDCIs are 5-speed rather than 6-speed which does affect fuel consumption once you get over about 60mph compared to an equilavent 6 speed car.

In real terms, I get about 520 miles out of a £54 fill up.

I would recommend the 1.6 over the 1.4 as it's a bit more effortless to drive with the extra torque.

If you do spot a 1.4 Titanium, check the spec. I'm pretty sure that the 1.4 Titanium doesn't have all of the toys that the 1.6 Titanium has.

yeah its wet and windy out there

That's helpful... <_<

That's helpful... <_<

Sorry was getting up and didn't have much time, I did another post hope that one is of more use

Cheers all. Going to ford dealers this weekend.

Thanks for your help

Rich

£54 fill up is approx 38 litres, which is the maximum I've ever filled up (and I've ran out once). I'm sure the handbook says it has a 50 litre tank? Anyway, 38 litres = 8.35 gallons. If you're getting 520 miles per tank, thats 62MPG. I only get about 420miles per tank which is bang on 50mpg.

Lowest I've ever had from a tank was about 440 miles (52mpg). The most was 554 miles (67mpg). Normally it's between 500-520. Light came on this morning so the computer thinks I've got 50 miles left and the trip is on 489 miles.

According to my handbook, the tank is 45 litres on the petrol and 40 litres on the diesel.

£54 fill up is approx 38 litres, which is the maximum I've ever filled up (and I've ran out once). I'm sure the handbook says it has a 50 litre tank? Anyway, 38 litres = 8.35 gallons. If you're getting 520 miles per tank, thats 62MPG. I only get about 420miles per tank which is bang on 50mpg.

Lowest I've ever had from a tank was about 440 miles (52mpg). The most was 554 miles (67mpg). Normally it's between 500-520. Light came on this morning so the computer thinks I've got 50 miles left and the trip is on 489 miles.

According to my handbook, the tank is 45 litres on the petrol and 40 litres on the diesel.

42l petrol

40l diesel

Hi, I try and take it easy tbh. I bought it expecting 60mpg+ however, half of my journey is fairly hilly and I have the 17" alloys. Neither of these factors will help. On a long run at 65mph on cruise I can get 65mpg+, but that's rare u do that kind of trip. I also do 90miles a day.

I do 90 miles a day as well yet i only get 55MPG and I have 1.4, I guess the 1.6 has better fuel economy because it is working as hard?

42l petrol

40l diesel

That's disappointing, I thought it had 45L Diesel tank :/

That's disappointing, I thought it had 45L Diesel tank :/

I don't find 500 miles to a tank disappointing ;)

As for folding mirrors and stuff, the car is narrow anyway and its something else to break in years ahead, if it was a SUV with huge mirrors I could see the point but not on a fiesta!

Try living in a house built in the 60's where the designers assumed everyone would drive Mini's in the future, and I find the folding mirrors are a godsend, I have maybe 4 inches clearance in total with the mirrors out. Cars generally have been getting wider, some of the neighbours mondeo class cars dont fit at all even with mirrors folded.

Works multistory is like it too, same era of build, you can only just get 3 cars between the concrete posts...

Although they were a retrofit (Thanks to Nathan) powerfolds make it so easy to get in the garage I'd probably not get a car without them in the future..

Try living in a house built in the 60's where the designers assumed everyone would drive Mini's in the future, and I find the folding mirrors are a godsend, I have maybe 4 inches clearance in total with the mirrors out. Cars generally have been getting wider, some of the neighbours mondeo class cars dont fit at all even with mirrors folded.

Works multistory is like it too, same era of build, you can only just get 3 cars between the concrete posts...

Although they were a retrofit (Thanks to Nathan) powerfolds make it so easy to get in the garage I'd probably not get a car without them in the future..

Well thats why there an option so every one can tailor their car for personal needs, I park in a 3 car garage with loads of space at each side and when I park in a public space this car is narrow enough to fit in it, my previous car was a Jeep cherokee which took a whole space with inches to spare.

Again this comes down to living in a country with 70 million people trying to co- exist. I don't think anyone dreams about sub compact cars as what they want to drive when they grow up, its been forced on us over the last decade by massive fuel prices.

So why am I struggling to get more than about 400 miles per tank? I do drive sensibly due to the high miles. I try and stick to 65mph on cruise. The reason I bought the car was fuel saving. It is due a service in about 3000 miles, so that may help. Is there anything else the dealer can do?

So why am I struggling to get more than about 400 miles per tank? I do drive sensibly due to the high miles. I try and stick to 65mph on cruise. The reason I bought the car was fuel saving. It is due a service in about 3000 miles, so that may help. Is there anything else the dealer can do?

James if thats all your getting something has to be wrong as you say you drive with care.