Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"usa Style" Side Lights.

DJ_Andy_M

Bit of a crazy mod idea, but its something that when I was out in the USA kinda got an obsession for..... 5W sidelights in the indicators!

For my old 2002 MK1.5 focus I actually imported a MK1 grill off of an american MK1 focus and wired it all in so I had the sidelights and indicators working.

338311_10151188675885246_666475245_22570150_1399485566_o.jpg

Now I want to perform something similar on my MK2.5 Focus with the built in indicators. Currently I'm using amber bulbs instead of white ones that come as standard, but I'm not satisfied with that.

I've not had a chance to look at the brake light bulb holders yet, but I was wondering, would there be a slight possibility that these would fit in the place of the current indicator sockets of the head lights? (yes, they won't work for now obviously due to the wiring etc I know, thats part of the mod plan lol!)

• Like 1

Hi mate,

welcome to the forum and nice idea but i would strongly recommend you fit one of these auto dimmer kits to your new modification when installing them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230784141143?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D230784141143%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

with this unit installed, your parking bulb will dim by 50% when your indicator on the same side is active thus leaving your car FUZZ free and 100% road complaint,

im not a road legal freak i break the speed limits all of the time etc. im just advising.

Hi mate,

welcome to the forum and nice idea but i would strongly recommend you fit one of these auto dimmer kits to your new modification when installing them.

http://www.ebay.co.u..._fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

with this unit installed, your parking bulb will dim by 50% when your indicator on the same side is active thus leaving your car FUZZ free and 100% road complaint,

im not a road legal freak i break the speed limits all of the time etc. im just advising.

Thanks! :) I had thought about some DRLs as well actually. I'll be honest, the police didn't care one bit about my MK1.5 mod at all.

The modification would require dual filament bulbs instead of leaving 20watts of power running (thats how they do it on US cars)

Little bit like this (those amber lights will be brighter when indicating as they're dual filament like the brake lights, must admit, I like the front end on this, its a Fusion though.)

23804650016_large.jpg

Thanks! :) I had thought about some DRLs as well actually.

The modification would require dual filament bulbs instead of leaving 20watts of power running (thats how they do it on US cars)

Little bit like this (those amber lights will be brighter when indicating as they're dual filament like the brake lights)

these units work with any 12v source not just drl's i have fitted one to my gauges in the car so as they illuminate 100% during the day, then dim to 50% at night when i switch on my lights.

but i recommended it to you because i assume that you plan to fit an additional 12v clear bulb in to your front indicator housing that will be illuminated 100% of the time,

then when you indicate,

your flash wont be noticed as much due to the additional 12v bulb not flashing.

so the box i recommende to you, will dim your 12v bulb when you indicator bulb is active,

so other road users can clearly see your indicator flashing,

then when you stop the indicator,

your 12v additional bulb will instanly go back to its 100% illumination,

just so you know what i ment mate,

• Like 1

Ah that makes a little more sense yeah.

My old focus, you could clearly see that I was indicating as the bulbs in the grill were dual filament, one 5W, one 22W? in the same bulb (like the brake lights are). Some vans i've seen on the roads have a side marker light and indicator combined, and they're visible enough.

Basically this:

161177.jpg

Instead of this in the headlight

132871.jpg

Ah that makes a little more sense yeah.

My old focus, you could clearly see that I was indicating as the bulbs in the grill were dual filament, one 5W, one 22W? in the same bulb (like the brake lights are). Some vans i've seen on the roads have a side marker light and indicator combined, and they're visible enough.

i understand what you mean now too mate, didimiss.gif

the dual filament sockets in the tail/stop lights off the rear may fit in to the headlight socket the same way as the existing single filament unit does,

the modification would be easier than i initally thought, i had assumed you were going to fit an additional w5w bulb in to each unit. facepalm.gif

i understand what you mean now too mate, didimiss.gif

the dual filament sockets in the tail/stop lights off the rear may fit in to the headlight socket the same way as the existing single filament unit does,

the modification would be easier than i initally thought, i had assumed you were going to fit an additional w5w bulb in to each unit. facepalm.gif

You'll have to get used to my quirky ways of explaining stuff haha! Sometimes I'm awful at putting things into words!

The hardest part is going to be the wiring of the socket I think, but I won't find this out until I get some good sun shine, and some time to play.

This is what you are looking for mate:

http://www.ebay.de/i...=item2a17e0f185

Easy to install, no additional bulbs required.

Thanks for this, I'll give it a punt and see how we get on!

• 1 month later...

This is what you are looking for mate:

http://www.ebay.de/i...=item2a17e0f185

Easy to install, no additional bulbs required.

Going to bump my topic saving creating a new one on a related thing... but...

I'm tempted to order a second set of these and use them to create "USA style" DRL using my headlamps (USA cars use headlamps at reduced voltage until they're are turned onto full), as these things in theory reduce the voltage for the indicators.

Now my main question is, if this is to work, can I then get around the MOT requirement for "white position markers" or "white sidelights" as these effectively will act as them therefore continuing to allow me to use amber bulbs in my existing side light holders?

I know this is a strange mod and strange obsession, but I like the american's way of thinking. To me, its more clearer as the amber stands out from the white, seeing as its meant to be a "marker" light. (as a lot of cars you can't even see them once the headlights are on using whites because they're in the same chamber) . Personally all motor cycles should have amber sidelights in the indicators so we can actually make out that its a motor cycle!

Nice mods. I have a strange obsession with American cars too. I like the front of their Fusion as well, actually I like most of the US Ford Range, even the fronts that are a little chrome heavy shall we say (note the front of my fiesta lol).

I also prefer US style plates to ours and have often thought about trying a 2 line square plate on the front of my fiesta, just to be different.

DJ_ANDY_M - if your car has light sensor and headlights switch with "Auto" option you could easily activate factory daytime running lights, they work the way you want. Read this thread:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/30154-factory-daytime-running-lights-focus-mk2-mk25-c-max/

Check post #14.

DJ_ANDY_M - if your car has light sensor and headlights switch with "Auto" option you could easily activate factory daytime running lights, they work the way you want. Read this thread:

http://www.fordowner...mk2-mk25-c-max/

Check post #14.

That looks pretty cool, unfortunately I don't have auto headlights on my car!

Deleted.

To me, its more clearer as the amber stands out from the white, seeing as its meant to be a "marker" light. (as a lot of cars you can't even see them once the headlights are on using whites because they're in the same chamber) . Personally all motor cycles should have amber sidelights in the indicators so we can actually make out that its a motor cycle!

I live in Cambridgeshire, and there are a lot of American air bases around here... the people stationed here all import their cars over so there are a lot of American market SUVs about as well as cars we have here that they bring over (they seem to like BMW's!).

These lights are a mare on roundabouts... if you take a quick glance, see the car coming is indicating, slow to a stop, then realise it is an American car going straight over with static amber lights... personally I think they should either be deactivated for use in the UK, or we should all have them.

I live in Cambridgeshire, and there are a lot of American air bases around here... the people stationed here all import their cars over so there are a lot of American market SUVs about as well as cars we have here that they bring over (they seem to like BMW's!).

These lights are a mare on roundabouts... if you take a quick glance, see the car coming is indicating, slow to a stop, then realise it is an American car going straight over with static amber lights... personally I think they should either be deactivated for use in the UK, or we should all have them.

I can understand your point on that, but that's why we have side repeaters in this country, though you should be taking more than just a quick glance, certainly on a roundabout!

20120618212339279.jpg

Well they're installed, and I've been using them without any police issues either. Had a couple of people taking a good long stare as they drive past but thats about it.

With the headlights on, they're subtle and blend in with the headlights (not as bright as the headlights of course, but you do get headlight leak into the chamber anyway)

Opinions?

(Part of me thinks it would look better if the lights looked meaner!)

• 2 weeks later...

Couple more pics

20120701220622155.jpg

20120701220647575.jpg

Going to be interesting come MOT time as obviously the top ones will have to go back to white, but I'm a little curious to see what they say about the indicators because technically they're the same brightness as the top and are clearly brighter when indicating (i'll do a video) so...

Looks nice mate, did you use the device in the link from Pidu. On German eBay??

Might have a go myself as it looks so neat :)

ill lay a bet they arent legal in the uk theres a reason why we dont copy america different laws personally i can see the point it would distract others and im sure if someone pulls out on you because they think youre indicating and it goes to the insurance you will be held to blame for the modification. a non standard modification causing distraction and confusion to other drivers through the use of directional indicators used in a manner not acceptable by uk law.my mate had the mk1 versions and was hit side on thats the official decision from the lawyers

Nighttime standing-vehicle conspicuity to the front is provided by "front position lamps",[15] known as "parking lamps" or "parking lights" in North America,[5] and "front sidelights" in British English.[19] Despite the UK term, these are not the same as the side marker lights described below. The front position lamps may emit white or amber light in North America;[5] elsewhere in the world they must emit only white light

Looks nice mate, did you use the device in the link from Pidu. On German eBay??

Might have a go myself as it looks so neat :)

Yup, that's where they're from! You have to snip the indicator wire though, but that's easy enough to fix.

ill lay a bet they arent legal in the uk theres a reason why we dont copy america different laws personally i can see the point it would distract others and im sure if someone pulls out on you because they think youre indicating and it goes to the insurance you will be held to blame for the modification. a non standard modification causing distraction and confusion to other drivers through the use of directional indicators used in a manner not acceptable by uk law.my mate had the mk1 versions and was hit side on thats the official decision from the lawyers

Nighttime standing-vehicle conspicuity to the front is provided by "front position lamps",[15] known as "parking lamps" or "parking lights" in North America,[5] and "front sidelights" in British English.[19] Despite the UK term, these are not the same as the side marker lights described below. The front position lamps may emit white or amber light in North America;[5] elsewhere in the world they must emit only white light

From an MOT point of view, guaranteed failure, however, they don't light up as bright as when on side lights, and they are distinguishable when flashing.

When my headlights are on, you can't consciously notice them from the side or the front to make that mistake. Even when running as just sides, unless you're really not thinking you can't mistake them, they're just not bright enough. If the wings were lit up and I had side markers as well, then I could fully understand it. The MK1 versions, were definitely brighter as I had them on my MK1 focus,

The police haven't pulled me yet, driven behind, and towards them (including in my MK1) and in-fact I had to attend to a RTA (mum's car was destroyed by someone reversing out of a drive to the opposite lane to be hit by a van) recently with them on, coppers didn't even notice them.

" if someone pulls out on you because they think youre indicating" - Well they should be, one taking a closer look, two not pulling out of a junction when there is a car coming from the right, indicating or not. The number of times I've pulled out of a junction in the past because someone has indicated and then changed their mind and almost been hit as a young driver has made me think again. The person who hit your mate was clearly in the wrong, but because of some additional lighting they ruled against him.

Another thing, BMW seems to make it standard that if your sidelight goes out it diverts to your indicator bulb.

• 5 years later...
On 01/05/2012 at 8:52 PM, DJ_Andy_M said:

Bit of a crazy mod idea, but its something that when I was out in the USA kinda got an obsession for..... 5W sidelights in the indicators!

For my old 2002 MK1.5 focus I actually imported a MK1 grill off of an american MK1 focus and wired it all in so I had the sidelights and indicators working.

Now I want to perform something similar on my MK2.5 Focus with the built in indicators. Currently I'm using amber bulbs instead of white ones that come as standard, but I'm not satisfied with that.

I've not had a chance to look at the brake light bulb holders yet, but I was wondering, would there be a slight possibility that these would fit in the place of the current indicator sockets of the head lights? (yes, they won't work for now obviously due to the wiring etc I know, thats part of the mod plan lol!)

I would love for you to tell me how u got the badge to flip and the lights to work and what usrd for the lights

The NecroPoster strikes again!!!

Mwahahahahaaaaaaa!!!😨😨😨😨

Actually @DJ_Andy_M is still pretty active here so you might get lucky with an answer!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 01/05/2012 at 8:52 PM, DJ_Andy_M said:

Love it i am doing the same but as indicators , how did u get ur badge to flip ? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club