Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transmission Fluid Top Up

George Lawrence

I have just fitted a new condenser to my 53 plate mondeo tdci 5 speed auto. whilst doing so I lost a little transmission fluid when I took the oil cooler pipes off the old one. The Haynes manual and everything else I have read, just tells you the top up is on the top of the gear box. Ihave rmoved the air filter housing and found what I think is the filler, but as you are meant to have the car running I'm not sure you can get to this with it on. I have also found a push in rubber seal, not sure what this is ?

I would appreciate any help from anyone who has more experience than this novice

Cheers George

hi there i think its the power steering cooling pipes you undone just check the reseviour and top up as when i worked in a crash repair centre most of our fleet was fords regards pete

Thanks for the advice Pete, but mine is an auto box and the transmission fluid cooler is in the bottom of the condenser. I'm sure someone on this forum will come up with the answer at some point.

Thanks George

Hello George, previous auto boxes Ive had used the transmission dipstick hole to topup the oil.

HTH

Thanks HTH, but mine is the 5 speed tiptronic auto box which does not have a dipstick. I wish it did, fords dont like making things easy do they.

Cheers George

• 3 weeks later...

I believe there is a lever checking plug behind the gear selector cover. 3 nuts hold the cover on, u should then see the cable going onto the selector arm. To the right of the bracket that holds the selector cable in place is a plug. Remove the plug and check fluid comes out, if not there is a breather on the top of the box u can fill it from. All this has to be done when the box is between 35c and 45c and with the engine running and in park. This is how i believe u do it on the 5f31j box.

Thanks Jason, I thought that was where you fill it up from. Now you have confirmed it, I shall now get it sorted. once again thanks for your help.

George

Please like me in this Facebook app so I can get online more and help u guy's

http://apps.facebook.com/winwithlikes/?fbpid=23&refid=702122022

Please Pm me with direct questions if u really stuck and carnet get a answer from the forum, i don't always see questions in the forum because I can not get online much.

regards

jason

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club