Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2 Milage

Mathew Pritt

Just out of curiosity, to all you mk2 1.6 zetec drivers. when you fill your tank with petrol, how many miles does your dash board display say you have???

Just out of curiosity, to all you mk2 1.6 zetec drivers. when you fill your tank with petrol, how many miles does your dash board display say you have???

All the Fords I have had read at between 410 and 420 miles on a full tank.

Well Mathew,

it all depends on what the on board computer has worked out as you average mpg [as displayed on the dash readout]

So given that a full fuel tank holds 12.10 gallon of fuel in it.........

If your knocking about town and the dash says your average mpg is 29mpg. Then the dash will display circa 350 miles [29 x12.10 ]

On the over hand if you drive like a granny on free flowing A roads and your averaging 50 mpg [it can be done trust me] And the dash records 50mpg as your average speed, it's the maths again at 50 x 12.10 = 605 miles displayed on the dash till empty.

When you reset the "average mpg" on the dash readout, the comp then works out your "miles till empty" read out based on the new average mpg it records after its reset................try it.

mine is now saying 421 miles when its full. so do you think this is about right?????

Well Mathew,

it all depends on what the on board computer has worked out as you average mpg [as displayed on the dash readout]

So given that a full fuel tank holds 12.10 gallon of fuel in it.........

If your knocking about town and the dash says your average mpg is 29mpg. Then the dash will display circa 350 miles [29 x12.10 ]

On the over hand if you drive like a granny on free flowing A roads and your averaging 50 mpg [it can be done trust me] And the dash records 50mpg as your average speed, it's the maths again at 50 x 12.10 = 605 miles displayed on the dash till empty.

When you reset the "average mpg" on the dash readout, the comp then works out your "miles till empty" read out based on the new average mpg it records after its reset................try it.

Hi Catch, I'm not sure you are correct in average MPG relating to the miles left in the tank when full; My last car a 2ltr Mondeo did 30 mpg average but always showed 410 miles on a full tank, my Focus is doing 37 mpg average and showing 420 miles on a full tank, both tanks were 12 gallon capacity; the maths don't add up or am I missing something? :unsure: The amount left in the tank varies depending on driving styles after you have started a journey but it has never gone above or below 410 to 420 on fill up, bit of a mystery to me. :blink:

mine is now saying 421 miles when its full. so do you think this is about right?????

It's what mine says. :)

what size tank do they have in litres?

what size tank do they have in litres?

55ltr. :wacko:

55ltr. :wacko:

:D :D

Well if I'm proved wrong, I won't sulk :rolleyes:

But all I can say is that at tank brimming time mine varies.

Easily proved either way though by any of us really.

Take ave "MPG" reading, then take "Miles to Empty" reading, note both.

[For instance mine right now is reading 28.4 mpg... 275 miles to empty... ball park 3/4 tank full. Which doing the maths equates to a full tank would give 367miles to empty]

Then re set the "MPG " readout to zero and then go for a slow drive down the bypass at circa 50 mph in fifth gear. Then note what your "MPG" readout is, then flick to "Miles to Empty" reading, and see what it says..............That will prove me right or wrong.

Now as we have visitors right now it's not possible for me to do it. I don't think her in doors would be happy if said "do you mind holding the Fort Darling whilst I go for a slow drive down the bypass at circa 50 mph in fifth gear, just to prove something" :D

"Catch" is spot on. Mine has 29.8Mpg - 352 Miles in full tank.

;)

:D :D

Well if I'm proved wrong, I won't sulk :rolleyes:

But all I can say is that at tank brimming time mine varies.

Easily proved either way though by any of us really.

Take ave "MPG" reading, then take "Miles to Empty" reading, note both.

[For instance mine right now is reading 28.4 mpg... 275 miles to empty... ball park 3/4 tank full. Which doing the maths equates to a full tank would give 367miles to empty]

Then re set the "MPG " readout to zero and then go for a slow drive down the bypass at circa 50 mph in fifth gear. Then note what your "MPG" readout is, then flick to "Miles to Empty" reading, and see what it says..............That will prove me right or wrong.

Now as we have visitors right now it's not possible for me to do it. I don't think her in doors would be happy if said "do you mind holding the Fort Darling whilst I go for a slow drive down the bypass at circa 50 mph in fifth gear, just to prove something" :D

Ill take your word for it catch, may be my MPG has been fairly constant, therefore I may not have noticed any difference in the tank full read-out, but this time of day I can't get my head round it and my brain is starting to hurt thinking about it. I don't know what part of the country you're in but the weather here is pants, I don't blame you for staying in. :)

If I fill up after a run, mine normally shows 450. Otherwise its anything between 420 and 440.

Would there be a difference in how many miles are on the gauge with a full tank between engine size and also between petrol or diesel?

I still cant get my head round why both my petrol cars with a noticeable difference in average MPG should show a very similar miles left in the tank when filled up and both tanks have the same capacity; unless the the technology over the 9 year age difference accounts for it. It may just be a late Sunday evening and a befuddled brain. :huh:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club