Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Led Tail/brake Bulbs

BrownMotoring

Any suggestions on which of these would make the better brake/tail bulbs? I'm fed up with folks trying to rear end me so I want to go brighter (keen to stay legal too though).

www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/380-Ultimate-Canbus-92-SMD-LED-Bulb.html?bulb_search=c6781

www.alltronix.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=322

The Cree looks to be brighter and a more direct light and both can handle acting as both tail and brake without the need for extra cabling/resistors etc.

Has anyone used the Cree Q5's and are they legal?

Any thoughts appreciated.

I remember recently someone on the forum had posted a photo of theirs which had LED 'spider' style - similar to these.

Hopefully someone on here can comment on the fitment & legality of these.

Alltronix seem to have a good range, very tempting. Lenny did a good post on his Cree reverse lights (http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/25945-the-ultimate-reverse-bulb-6000kelvin-55watt-equivalent/) and they're imrpessive. Just need a bit more convincing about whether they're a bit too directional and the brightness legality of them. the other chunky bulb covered in SMD LED's is dimmer but it's an ugly critter with it's 92 LED's. I think about some motors like the Honda Jazz (well, I'd prefer not to think of that one really :blink:) but that has some very strong LED's out back and makes me thing the Cree's can't be that questionable. I have no MOT due for a couple of years but I'm not sure I'd want to be in my shoes if I blinded the local Rozzers sat behind me either :D. Happy to look at alternatived but I just want bulbs with a bit more kick.

Cree are one of the market leaders in the LED market.

"LED replacement bulbs are not technically road legal. The reason being is that to achieve an E mark, the bulb has to be of the same type that it is replacing. E.G. incandescent for incandescent, LED for LED etc. In this case you are replacing incandescent for LED so therefore cannot be E marked. However the light output is fantastic so will pass an MOT as the intensity and colour if by far sufficient."

source: http://www.autobulbs...g/42/led-bulbs/

If you want to save yourself some money, or perhaps browse more styles check out: http://www.dealextre...light-bulbs-712 check out reviews, many have pictures/videos of the products fitted to their cars. Not sure what fitment you need, never looked into it. Also make sure you get red LED's, as white LED's will look bright pink through a red lens.

That's really helpful, much appreciated. I plan to fit Cree Q5's for my reverse lights and they seem to tick all the right boxes - has anyone used them for tail/brake lights? I spoke to a bod at AutobulbsDirect and they suggested these from their range (http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/380-Ultimate-Canbus-92-SMD-LED-Bulb.html?bulb_search=c6781) they look fine but the Cree's are brighter, neater and cheaper. All so tempting, just worried they're too bright, lol! :wacko:

Any suggestions on which of these would make the better brake/tail bulbs? I'm fed up with folks trying to rear end me so I want to go brighter (keen to stay legal too though).

www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/380-Ultimate-Canbus-92-SMD-LED-Bulb.html?bulb_search=c6781

www.alltronix.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=322

The Cree looks to be brighter and a more direct light and both can handle acting as both tail and brake without the need for extra cabling/resistors etc.

Has anyone used the Cree Q5's and are they legal?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Those bulbs are fine as long as they're the right colour and have the correct lenses on them.

I use Q5 bulbs for reverse and rear fog and multi LED Bulbs for brake lights and as a serving copper i am totally confident that they are street legal.

Don't use Q5 bulbs for brake lights though as they're more directional, multi LED Bulbs are fine though.

BTW, if you want to use LED indicator bulbs be sure to fit resistors too or they will flash too fast.

Thanks very much. Not sure if the Focus is one bulb or two for brake/tail, but can I ask what multi LED Bulbs are you using for your brake/tail bulb?

MK2 focus is a twin element bulb for the brake light.

I used-

Ford Focus MK2 Sportback 04/05 on Brake & Tail LEDS

http://bit.ly/J9LzkV

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club