Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo Modification

Stoney871

I just read on Ford Wiki a tip about how to reduce the turbo boost lag by connecting a pipe to it.

Has anyone read the article and tried this or have any views/info on how this is done?

I'm not sure if it's the article that is a tad vague or if it's my interpretation of the text?

I just read on Ford Wiki a tip about how to reduce the turbo boost lag by connecting a pipe to it.

Has anyone read the article and tried this or have any views/info on how this is done?

I'm not sure if it's the article that is a tad vague or if it's my interpretation of the text?

Hi mate,

Are they talking about putting a bleed valve on the actuator of the turbo?

This tricks the boost sensor by restricting the pressure going to the sensor or sending it to atmosphere, so the turbo runs higher boost levels because the bleed valve is restricting the flow, or the pipe is venting some of the pressiure the turbo builds higher pressure until the sensor detects enough flow. and tells it to stop.

If you were considering fitting one of these mate, id strongly recommend fitting a boost gauge to the car even if you don’t want it on display you could mount it in the roof section of the glove box but you would need to know exactly what boost levels you are running by adjusting the bleed valve/boost controller,

So as you don’t run to high mate.

cheers for that Lenny,

i was interested as the wiki reckons the modification reduces the revs at which the turbo cuts in.

If there's a danger of overrunning the turbo and causing damage then maybe it's not such a good idea.

we did this on the vws however many ended up with turbo related issues

• 3 weeks later...

you could get a blow off valve fitted, but you would have to re-route it somehow, because you may have MAF issues and, you might get some stalls. Otherwise the car should run better, not really more HP but a more fluid acceleration.

More Modern cars dont need a blow off valve it is actually a butterfly valve. The thing about reducing the revs at which the turbo kicks in you will run the risk of over running your turbo. Over running your turbo has serious implementations when the turbo over heats there are serveral failures such as cracked turbo wheel, cracked housing or the compressor wheel cracking. Other such failures can be bending blades ehich causes whistling coming from the turbo. I agree with fitting a boost guage but I think it would be better off left alone mate :)