Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk7 Drl Fitting Guide!

Wilko-S1600

Fitted some DRLs to my MK7 today so thought I would do a quick guide on how to install them.

First up you need to buy a set of DRLs. There are loads of options for this and it is down to personal preference which ones you want. I bought some flexible LED strips. http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

Next up you need to get a relay. This is needed so that the DRLs turn off when your headlights turn on. Here is the one I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

**********EDIT 11/11/2012*************

Right so I decided that these LEDs looked naff when they wernt turned on so I wanted to do something about it. Here is what I did:

I bought some 70mm CCFL Halo rings. These DO NOT work with a DRL inverter as they have their own power ballasts.

Unfortunately i dont have a link to the rings I bought.

I then took the actual CCFL ring out from the halo's plastic case, leaving me with the plastic Shell.

I then inserted these LED halo rings

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330778415158?var=540075110431&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The reason I didnt just fit these is because they just look terrible on their own and the halo case really hides it. So now when they are off there are just white rings on the fog lights, not those nasty cheap looking LEDs.

Also, its a perfect circle now which makes it look a million times better. Here's how it looks now.

PicsArt_1352543182623.jpg

First of all you need to fix the DRLs to your car. This will vary depending on where you are putting them and what type of DRL they are, so i cant really advise you too much on how to do this. Mine just stick on with strong 3M double sided tape.

Once you have fitted the DRLs it's time to wire them up.

The best way to do this is to remove the headlights to give you better access (in my case, the backs of the fog lights).

Once the lights are removed, bring the wires from the DRLs over the the near side of the engine bay (side with the battery). In my case I had to buy extra wire to get the offside DRL to reach the other side of the engine bay.

20120517_160117.jpg

Connect the wires from the DRLs to the black wires coming from the relay.

Now its time to connect the relay.

The blue wire connects to the battery earth. This is where I connected mine:

20120517_161157.jpg

And then connect the red wire to the positive terminal:

20120517_161554.jpg

You then have one orange wire left on the relay.

20120517_161611.jpg

This has to be connected to the positive wire of the headlight (allowing it to turn off when the headlights are on).

The wire comes off the plug that goes into the back of the headlight. The wires are numbered and it is NUMBER 1 that you need to conect the orange wire of the relay to:

20120517_162057.jpg

To save you cutting into your car electrics I bought a pack of these for 99p:

20120517_160803.jpg

Put the crimp over the wire and insert the orange wire to the other side from the relay. Squeeze it with some pliers and clip it shut.

20120517_163525.jpg

Now this is all connected up, try it out.

Turn the engine on, after a few seconds the DRLs should turn on. turn your side lights on....the DRLs should still be on. Turn your dipped beams on.... if done correctly, they should now be off.

If this is all working correctly it's time to clean up...

Get a packet of small cable ties and secure and loose wires and secure the relay down:

20120517_171814.jpg

Wack the headlights back in and voila!

20120517_174731.jpg

This relay also includes a 'follow me home' feature which means that they will stay on for 20 seconds after the engine is turned off.

Edited by Wilko-S1600
  • Like 1

Thanks for the guide mate its excellent! :) have you got anymore pictures of the DRL's fitted ? :)

Will post some up later. They look sexxxxxxy :P

• 2 weeks later...

The sidelights are W5W, correct? How many LED does you sidelight have?

The sidelights are W5W, correct? How many LED does you sidelight have?

Yes, they are SMD so they have about 8 or 12 lights on them, cant remember exactly

Another Pic of them fitted:

f.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi - Sorry to bring back up a thread... I'm thinking of doing this, but how come you've got the red wire connected to the positive on the battery? Doesn't this keep the DRL's on all the time? I thought it had to be connected to a switched ignition live..!

• 4 weeks later...

www.flyeyekit.co.uk :-)

Out of curiosity, are these fitted inside or outside the lamp.

Hey, I just read that drls only work when your main lights are switched off.

I was just wondering if it is possible to have both low beam and dlr on?

Thanks!

Hey, I just read that drls only work when your main lights are switched off.

I was just wondering if it is possible to have both low beam and dlr on?

Thanks!

DRLs work however you wire them in to work ;) All depends on the setup/relays used. What you're asking for is possible though really DRLs should at least dim when dipped beam is on, They are daytime running lights afterall and not meant to be used with dipped beams which are for nighttime... :P

Okay, but as I understand it is possible to use DRLs as daytime styling lights? Then those would be considered as side position lights and would be legal? Am I correct? I Hope this makes sense.

But you'll still be having super bright LEDs on during the night which is extremely dangerous as you'll be blinding other drivers. This is why they need to go off or dim with dipped beam.

I've just had a discussion with my colleagues and they said that it might be illegal to tint the front and rear lights.

Is that the case or is it only that you cannot alter the lamp itself?

I believe (not a legal expert though) as long as the light output & beam pattern is unaffected it's fine.

• 1 month later...

**** ORIGINAL POST HAS NOW BEEN EDITED**** PLEASE HAVE A LOOK

**** ORIGINAL POST HAS NOW BEEN EDITED**** PLEASE HAVE A LOOK

Wilko, would the Halo rings be something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2-x-70mm-YZF-R1-CCFL-HALO-SUPER-BRIGHT-6000K-Angel-Eye-Rings-STUNNING-LOOK-/170814608172?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27c558132c

Would it be possible to ask you to update the guide? I am planning to do this upgrade myself at some point.

It would be really helpful, thank you!

when you fit them on your fog lights, are you just sticking them ontop of them?? what about rain and exposure to water??

• 1 month later...

Bower - yes thats the type I bought. Just take out the internals and keep the plastic rings, the rest you can put back on eBay and get some of your money back.

123yahyaa - yep they are stuck to the plastic fog surrounds with glue. I used some clear window sealant to cover all exposed connections on the back of the ring to make it water tight :)

• 2 months later...

Love this setup Wilko!

I purchased a pair of the 70mm LED rings that you did, but not sure what you mean by fitting them inside the halo rings.... was there plenty of room for the LED ring inside the plastic tube?

Also, would you recommend any alternate ways to cover/protect the LED rings?

Wilko, would the Halo rings be something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2-x-70mm-YZF-R1-CCFL-HALO-SUPER-BRIGHT-6000K-Angel-Eye-Rings-STUNNING-LOOK-/170814608172?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27c558132c

Would it be possible to ask you to update the guide? I am planning to do this upgrade myself at some point.

It would be really helpful, thank you!

Hey Bower, Im interested to know whether or not you managed to do the modification like Wilko? As I am also very keen to install this exact set up!

I just bought these DRL + foglights and got them protected with Lamin-X (camera makes them darker than they really are). I'm going to post more pics when i mount them.

photogrid1365928137402.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club