Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel In Oil Warning Lamp

CLGR

So after tte 12500 service for my Ford Fiesta Titanium Econetic 1.6TDCI, drove it for about 50 mile, now have the Fuel in oil warning light on.

Also have a message Engine oil change due next service.

So isnt oil change part of the service?

What else could cause this.?

Will be onto the phone to dealer 1st thing Monday.

Thanks in advance for any help

The light and message is to remind you to have a service done - apparently they can't reset before it's come on so can only be done after you've had the warning.

Had to take mine back to the dealer a week after it's service for them to reset the light - by the looks of things involves pressing both brake and accelerator for 10 seconds whilst turning ignition to stage 2 (though I couldn't swear to it)

Thanks for the reply, have just tried what you suggested, but did not appear to work.

Looks like trip to the dealer later this week :(

Been told by the dealer that you alson need to have seat belt on.

Thanks to all for your help

• 4 months later...

Hi, I've had a similar issue. My Ford Fiesta Titanium went in for it's 1 year manufacturer's service yesterday. Had no warning lights/issues prior to this. It got the all clear, I drove it home without a problem and then this morning when I started the car, the Fuel In oil Warning Lamp came on and stayed on.

I called the garage and they said it must be a Servicing warning light that they hadn't reset and I just need to bring it in so they can plug it into the computer and clear the code. If this light comes on as a signal to get your car serviced and is a common issue that is easily resolved, why do they not refer to this in the manual rather than letting us panic that the garage cocked up the oil change?

Is it safer to ask them to change the oil anyway or is this "resetting" thing most likely to be the problem. Don't want to do my car any damage unnecessarily, I've only had it a few months and love driving it.

• 4 months later...

This happened to my wife's car. Took it for service 800 miles early and then the oil light came on with the squiggle under it and when starting it, it said to have a service. So i came on here read the comments and it was fixed! Thanks everyone!!! So you know how to - get in, put seat belt on, hold down the brake and accelerator, put key in, turn key to position 2 (one before ignition fires up), hold for 60 seconds or more, done.

Hi Tobyhorne, mine suffered the same -oil can with wavy line below.

I put a topic on here about this recently.

This was about 8,000mls since last oil change.

My garage said might only need sensor re-set but as a precaution they wanted to check oil condition.

Just as well as the oil was very black and not as it should be at this milage.

Oil changed and sensor re-set been ok for about 1,800mls.

Might be a good idea to check oil condition especially tdci versions.

Cheers

Martin

i dont think it was that but thank you for your concern. we took it for service and oil change at 11800, then somewhere between 12000-12500 the light came on. So it could only have done 500 miles since the oil change max. she's now on 14500ish and the light has not been back on. In this case it was just part of the service warning light.

• 1 year later...

This happened to us yesterday, warning light came on, read manual, it said stop the car when safe to do so and don't drive it. Called RAC who coudln't find a fault and said it probably a sensor fault, have now booked into dealer to have it looked at. Only 4 weeks since service, so it makes sense that its probably not been reset, but really, why not just display a 'spanner' saying 'Requires Service' instead of scaring the living daylights out of its owners, good mind to sue Ford for the Stressed caused!

But thank you guys for confirming what I thought it might be, at least we know its safe to drive, since dealer can't look at it for a week!

• 4 weeks later...

Very grateful for this topic. I had much the same experience as others. 1,000 mls after major service, the indicator light came on and the centre console referred to the next service being due. As someone has commented, this is quite worrying. But the suggested cure worked.

I do wonder why this warning light is even present and why it is orange not red. If there really were fuel in the engine oil I would want to know why! And the manual just says - get an oil changes ASAP! But surely this would indicate a real problem??

Maybe it doesn't mean fuel in oil every time but is just doubling up as a service due and problem warning light in one?

• 4 months later...

I've just had the same diesel in oil light come on. Did an oil and filter change and the light stayed on so when it went for MOT today I told them the light was on.

They told me that this is a service reminder light and that there is NOT a sensor in the sump for diesel in the oil. The light can be extinguished as stated above but I would advise that you have the Annual service carried out or do it yourself.

• 4 years later...

Happened on my ‘11 Z-S tdci. Turn ignition on so all the lights flash up, press the brake and accelerator for 20 seconds until light goes away. It’s just an automatic warning to get a service, nothing to worry about. 

Good advise but nearly 5 years too late.lol

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi I’ve just bought a fiesta Zetec driven it 4 times and this light has come on is it something to worry about or is just in need of a service never owned a fiesta before

what engine?    and when was the oil last changed?

Might just be that when last serviced they did not reset it.   Sometimes if a car is serviced early the car will put the light on when the service becomes due and  has no way of knowing the service was in fact done early.  If the service is done before light comes on I do not  know if there is a way to reset it or if that can only be done after light comes on.

I had a problem with diesel fuel in the oil several times on a (none Ford) diesel when driving low mileage, the DPF regen process involved injecting diesel on the exhaust stroke and repeated failed attempts by the car to regenerate on short journeys somehow gets fuel into the oil.

You'd imagine the piston rings and valve seals would keep it out, bt the actual oil level rises to over the full mark on the dipstick and its definately time for an oil and filter change. Diesels and low mileage are not a great combination with all the tech they have.

The reset for the service indicator is useful to know, so thanks guys!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club