Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Puzzled Mystery Noise

ahunter90

Hi all.

I currently own a MK6 2004 Ford Fiesta Flame 1.4L 16V. Now I have already posted a couple of topics relating to this matter. The car seems to be producing a lot of wheel noise, not as bad on smoother roads but still quite significant. All wheels have been checked for buckling or damage, and there is no sign of that. Tyres are fine and wheels correctly balanced. Took it to two mechanics to check for any suspension, steering related problems, and they cant seem to find anything wrong with that. Wheel alignment is OK apart from the steering wheel being slightly off centre, car tracks straight ahead no pulling to the left or right. Also put the gearbox in neutral to rule that out when at a certain speed, but still noise is there. Had a front wheel bearing replaced and both rear bearings replaced not long ago which is rules that out, and the only wheel bearing not replaced is the offside front but that is fine no play or noise coming from it.

The noise seems to be coming from the front of the car and sounds like a thudding, rumbling noise as though the shocks or springs don't seem to be absorbing the bumps in the road very well. Although the suspension is OK and steering is OK I would of thought this is more of a ball joint problem. When I first bought the car back in March 2011 the only noise apparent was normal tyre roar.

Anyone any ideas? Done the best I can to describe the problem so hope that helps a bit.

If it is making a thudding/knocking noise on the slightest of bumps, or an uneven surface it is usually the suspension top mounts. Ive had this on several cars and its annoying as you cant see or feel a problem, just a knocking noise. Its only under the weight of the car its noticeable. You cant see the problem when its jacked up or stationery.

Yeah that was probably a better description of the noise, a thudding noise on the slightest of bumps and uneven surface. Thanks for that never thought it would of been the suspension top mounts, its annoying as hell having to keep the radio or cd player on all the time, thinking either my wheels are being destroyed or they out of balance.

I forgot to add. I do also get a clunk/rattle type noise that I can hear that comes from the offside near front, this only occurs when I go over a pothole or sometimes on a speed bump. Had this looked at but everything was secure and fine, even when it was taken for a test drive. All that was said was its a bit of play in the suspension.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club