Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine System Fault ???

Mike77

Hi guys, need a bit of advice, my car '56 focus 1.8tdci' has just cut out on me 3 times within a mile, and my computer screen is displaying 'engine system fault' and just to the right of the display there is a red light, which is now on permenantly... So I plugged it into the OBD2 code reader, and it is showing 'no codes stored' ??? Tried erasing it anyway, but nothing happened, ran the OBD a few times, but it just won't pick up on anything. Anyone have any ideas where to go from here ???

Just done the dash test too, and in the DTC section, its showing 'NO' codes ? Head is pickled :unsure:

• Like 1

simply put it needs to be plugged into fords diagnostic software its obviously engine related so not a sensor obd2 readers dont show all the info

simply put it needs to be plugged into fords diagnostic software its obviously engine related so not a sensor obd2 readers dont show all the info

Its on the RAC's rack scan now, and that has ford software on it, but even having trouble connecting to this :angry:

very strange if its not connecting then its possible theres an ecu issue if its wiring or the ecu is anyones guess no issues prior? loss of power or anything unusual

the most common fault regarding this issue and symptoms is a problem with the fuel system most commonly the pump going as well as debris in the tank to faulty injectors no codes stored and many have had to go to ford who have done many things including hand priming the system

the most common fault regarding this issue and symptoms is a problem with the fuel system most commonly the pump going as well as debris in the tank to faulty injectors no codes stored and many have had to go to ford who have done many things including hand priming the system

A diagnostic reader would show faults with the injectors or related fuel system though. Got another RAC patrol coming down tomorrow night, with software we know works, so will just have to wait and see :blink:

I had this on my old 55" titanium focus, i read somewhere how to get around it, apparently sometimes there is nothing wrong with the car at all it just decides to do it!

i will do my best to find the link again! all it is is something like leave the car for so many hours and do this and that! (of course thats no help but i will go looking for the link now) dont spend any more money on those pathetic computers!! good old mechanics experience and this automech program i got on my laptop works a treat!

for now check your battery isnt nackered and if it happens again, pull in asap and just turn the car off, wait 2 minutes and turn it back on! error message will be gone and away you go again! but i will get to the bottom of this for you!!! aint having fellow focus folk in trouble! haha

• Like 1

haha, cheers fella, I hope it is nothing, there was no previous problems with it at all, just popped up out of the blue. I've not spent any money yet, as my dad is an RAC patrol so plugging in isn't a problem, or so I thought haha. I've left the car off for a while, but it still pops up when I turn the ignition on. But might be a help if you can find what your looking for, its worth a try at least,,, cheers for your help mate ;)

the fuel system and pump issue others had showed no fault codes either

the fuel system and pump issue others had showed no fault codes either

I can't be sure on the pump, but I have personally had codes for injectors on a code reader. On another note, I've done quite a bit of digging tonight and all signs are pointing to a 'camshaft position sensor' so gonna get it on the comp again tomoz nite and take it from there.... Will keep my findings posted.

UPDATE,,, So, had the car back on another RAC code reader this morning, only difference,, this one worked. Was showing 'fuel rail pressure' fault, tried to clear it but it wouldn't go, so obviously the problem was still there. So we then disconnected the fuel pressure sensor, and cleaned the contacts, and re-fitted, then the code erased :-) the guy doing it was an ex Ford technician, and was pretty sure of the problem b4 he even plugged it in, and the car is back to its normal happy self, and it never cost me a penny, happy days :-)

• Like 1

UPDATE,,, So, had the car back on another RAC code reader this morning, only difference,, this one worked. Was showing 'fuel rail pressure' fault, tried to clear it but it wouldn't go, so obviously the problem was still there. So we then disconnected the fuel pressure sensor, and cleaned the contacts, and re-fitted, then the code erased :-) the guy doing it was an ex Ford technician, and was pretty sure of the problem b4 he even plugged it in, and the car is back to its normal happy self, and it never cost me a penny, happy days :-)

Excellent news, glad to hear it! Lets hope it stays away!

Jon

Cheers Jon, fingers crossed hey, its been fine since, so as a treat I've just ordered some new wiped blades and the new focus washer jets, that mist rather than spray lol. Onwards and upwards :-)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ive just got the same problem on my 57plate focus cc 2.0tdci.

what reader was used?

any help will be much appreciated :)

most generic code readers will work, obviously each recovery agent has their own branded but they are the same at the end of the day...

If you have an android or iPhone, you can use Torque Pro with the likes of a bluetooth OBD II connector, otherwise you can use things like the OBD Scan, or Scan Gauge tools/

• 1 year later...

hi hope someone can help I had the same problem today on my 07 1.8 tdci the engine system warning came on after starting for about 10 - 15 seconds then went off no problem since

ive done the self test mode on the display the only thing I can find wrong is when the engine isn't running the battery voltage is at 12.2v when running its at 14.4 v

im guessing it could the battery that on its way out but any other views on this would be a great help

the car is now running fine since and the self test isn't bringing up any fault codes :blink: :blink: :blink:

hi hope someone can help I had the same problem today on my 07 1.8 tdci the engine system warning came on after starting for about 10 - 15 seconds then went off no problem since

ive done the self test mode on the display the only thing I can find wrong is when the engine isn't running the battery voltage is at 12.2v when running its at 14.4 v

im guessing it could the battery that on its way out but any other views on this would be a great help

the car is now running fine since and the self test isn't bringing up any fault codes :blink: :blink: :blink:

That battery sounds fine to me.

Voltage is spot on for running/not running engine.

• 3 years later...

Question have 2007 focus 1.8tdci cars done about 125000 now everytime from cold or warm under hard acelleration in 3rd gear i get engine systems fault come up again been plugged in by ford etc no faults found but when the light is on the car has a massive boost in power (not sure why) but does not affect running or anything egr has been cleaned out the lot no smoke just unsure what it could be?

• 1 year later...

We've got an ongoing issue with our 56 plate 1.6 focus Zetec. Intermittently losing power with either the engine system fault appearing on the display...or the red light coming on next to the display. Happens mostly when we've slowed to a stop at junction...in traffic... No error codes appear when scanned with laptop or self test. Changed battery and will be changing spark plugs and coil pack shortly. And only happens when its damp or cool. Any advice welcome.

48 minutes ago, Son of Nod said:

We've got an ongoing issue with our 56 plate 1.6 focus Zetec. Intermittently losing power with either the engine system fault appearing on the display...or the red light coming on next to the display. Happens mostly when we've slowed to a stop at junction...in traffic... No error codes appear when scanned with laptop or self test. Changed battery and will be changing spark plugs and coil pack shortly. And only happens when its damp or cool. Any advice welcome.

Changing parts willy nilly gets very expensive, very quickly. For example if you tested the battery with a multimeter you'd have probably concluded it was fine...

I'd at least first take the plugs out and see if there's water been collecting in the spark plug well and check the condition of the plugs. New coils, plugs and leads can solve problems though and there's no easy way to see if they've got an intermittent fault.

• 7 months later...
On 11/23/2018 at 5:53 PM, Son of Nod said:

Hi. Ive got a 55 plate 1.8 tdci and have had the same problem for ages! Ive got a code reader, but after the ignition has been turned off, the 'Engine Systems Fault' message clears. Soooo..... had my code reader next to my while driving. Dropped into 3rd gear, and the fault showed up as usual. Pulled over whilst the engine was still running, plugged the code reader in, and it showed fault code P0490, which points to an EGR Electrical problem in circuit A. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have a 2007 focus cc2 diesel and steering fault cane up on the dash engine management light came on.  It cut out and I had to fit a self primer. Fitted new fuel filter and got it started when the engine is switched off the fuel backfeeds towards the tank and when it is running has air is in the system. Yes I have put the priming tool on the right way. Any ideas.

Had the AA out and no fault codes came up

• 1 year later...

My 2007 focus has just broke down. It spluttered a bit then speed limit warning flashed and changed to system fault with red light on right side showing. The engine would turn over but not fire up. After pushing to safety I tried to start again and the car did not attempt to turn over. All power is there to ignition and windows etc. Tried to jump with another car but engine still made no attempt to turn over. 
many ideas anyone?

Thanks Nick 

• 1 year later...

Issue here is due to solder breaking down on where the plug connects to the back of the instrument cluster (IC). Remove and unplug IC and take cluster apart. Then resolder the points on board which connects the plug to board (look up YouTube video here). Then refit and most importantly bit, the codes will now have to be cleared on the car after re-fitting or else car will not start and same symptoms/imobilizer light flashing will occur. Once codes are cleared car will start and work as normal, if not check fuses also.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club