Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Noise

Drich290195

Does my 06 1.8 tdci use a chain cause when I accelerate it sounds like I can here the metallic noise of a chain going round any ideas what this is cheers

theres 2 versions of this engine early ones were chain later 06 models belt if its a chain you hear then you may have an early model chain rattle on cars ive had in the past were due to the chain tensioners needing replaced but there is a distinct rattle that some fords seem to have

It's aug 06 mannufactur it's not a bad rattle just sounds like someone pedalling harder when you accelerate from low revs is their any way of checking if it has a chain

im 98percent sure you have the belt whats the history and mileage? has the belt been changed? it could be the tensioner or something else totaly without hearing it its hard to say

It's done 57 k I have had it two months from 53 k I assume was all good before me it's not a massive mouse just sounds like I can hear a change when accelerating from low revs in a high gear

Are you sure its not a heat sheild come loose possible on the exhaust manifold might just be vibrating at low revs just a thought

Just had heat shield re attached after hitting a badger last weekend lol

Im sure these engines have both a chain and a belt.. chain from crank to fuel pump, and belt to drive cam via the fuel pump. Will double check from tje haynes manual

Cheers Chris just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining it more than anything

Just had heat shield re attached after hitting a badger last weekend lol

Is there a possibility that the heat shield is deformed or loose?

Bit of a coincidence that the noise has started after it was refitted.

true the heat shield may be hitting the chassis generaly when these things are reattatched its as quick as the mechanic can get it on

Checked my prevous comments, and yes, the 1.8 is a revision on the Endura TDDI, and has a double chain driven fuel pump, and a belt driven camshaft..... Saying that, UNLESS the engine has not had regular oil and filter changes, at that mileage I would be very surprised if the chains had worn to be that slack, as the adjuster is hydraulic. More likely to be the heat shields, as stoney and artscot say. They do seem to have a habit of rusting though the bolt holes, mine did on the rear shield, as I thought this was causing my rattle, but it wasnt. Had to have the bolts pulled, and refitted.... no amount of penetrating fluid would touch them.

Always look for the simplest things first, as its usually them. On my old almera, had a rattle, that for the life of me could not trace, and it ended up being my sunglasses in the roof mounted sunglasses holder. Got no end of ribbing for that one :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HTH

Cheers mate I can hear the chain but then I will do if their is one so I'm not going mad that's all I wanted to hear its not loud just wondered if their is one cause I could hear one cheers

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club