Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High Fuel Conumption: Something Wrong Here??

jnb1

@ james Yeah we're talking about different baffles,

@ josh There's one in the air box and one in the intake, both removable and simple, the intake should just slide out unless there's fasteners at the back of it

EDIT: I think the removing of the baffles will only hinder performance if your travelling at top end speed where the speed and density of the air is too much for the engine to handle and is more like burning liquid air rather than a gas, Not in physical properties but in density

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jnb1

• Lloyday

• james_60

• mk6 fiesta owner

you wont get any mass ait flow errors it will just detect the extra air and lower the amount of fuel )at idle that is

PNB i need to email it you as i cannot get it to upload

Jamie

I might do the same now :D well up for it

iam confusing myself.. sorry jnb for calling you PNB lol

I need your emaill address to send the picture to.

I have added u both as friends too

Jamie

I think we should start a "de-baffled" club :P. Seriously though, I hope I'm not slowly killing my engine from removing the shroud....However, as air is pulled through the grill anyway, I can;t see any issues (I hope!)

hi guys sorry to but in but could i also get some info on the baffle part in the box :) might aswell do the same eh

matty.

look what i have started here lol

Give me your email Matty and i will send you the picture too lol

Jamie :-)

Joshy did u get the pic

Jamie

Hehe! No problem Matty, looks like a trend is starting. I personally have removed the snorkel (the bit at the front by the grill), and (will be) removing the baffle (the bit in the airbox) tomorrow morning. This gives you a nice engine roar without damaging performance. It actually makes your throttle response crisper. I'm also dropping in a BMC filter tomorrow, and adding some pumaspeed cams, which should sweeten the deal :)

I did thanks Jamie! Sent you a reply :)

we could start our own blog on our own website u know. :-) silly question but is pembrokeshire north or south wales

Jamie

Good idea! Actually, Pembrokeshire is west :) Alot of zetec's round here! Before we have a meet, I'm going to put some proper alloy's on, as I can't turn up with the stock Ford alloy's, I'll get laughed out! :P. Not so keen on adding an exhaust tbh, as I can't be asked paying the slightly increased insurance premium! :P

hi Jamie where do i send me email :) its great this forum only joined today already got some tips thanks guys :)

josh let me know how you get on with ya bmc filter :P might go buy one hee hee

ill be sorting sometime this week so will also keep ya all updated hope this weather picks up lol cant get stuff done.

matty.

I will Matty :). Had a great moment today with a young lad in a 1.2 16V Corsa driving up my backside. Decided I wasn't having it. Foot down and torque kicked in.....bye bye 'n00b' in corsa :D (Never been so proud of the Zetec!). Something I have noticed about these cars is that whilst they may not set the word alight BHP wise, they make up for it in torque and pure driving fun.

i so agree m8.this is the first fiesta ive owned me last mota was a pug 206 1.9d.i must say the drive is great in the fiesta very smooth and the power is there if ya need it.best car owned so far

i bet that guy in the corsa was trying to catch ya up but had not chance pmsl hee hee

He was....I almost stopped to let him catch up. Funny thing was, this lad had a cat-back system on and all. Either he was driving like my grandma, or a Zetec just takes a massive !Removed! over a corsa :P. I have the 5dr zectec (which I prefer over the 3dr, as people can get in the back easy). Looking into getting a spoiler for the back wing, but I feel it will just add extra weight.....

lol. yeah i have a 5 dr too only due to having a 5year old so safety first .ive also been looking on eBay at parts for me mota just to sport it up a little :) some very nice alloys on there but the prices just make me jaw drop lol would like to have a set of 5 spoke or something would set it off me thinks :P

Zetecs do pack a massive punch over corsas, my mates got a 1.4 pushing 94hp and can't even tail me off the line. Torque is amazing on these engines, Also there's a south wales meet being organised in another thread if you have a look at my content on my page. Doing my de-baffling This weekend while my dads away, I'm getting my hands on some TSW 15" and 11 spokes, only costing me £60. If you know where to look then you'll get a bargain, also another story about Zetec Torque, I onced had a Suzuki swift up my !Removed! (standard with 1.2) and I floored it off the light and I was doing minimum 50 and he couldn't keep even though I wasn't flat out (he was doing 50 too)

Gotta love em zetec's :). Something I found quite interesting, is the stated BHP of the 1.4 zetec. Parkers states 78, although I can tell you as clear as day, the engine has DEFFINATELY got more than 80bhp. If I floor it in 3rd, I am pushed back into my seat, and the torque just keeps on coming. It keeps on pulling at higher speeds also. Touched 100mph as I just changed into 5th, and it still had alot more to give...

Usually the bhp given to the engine is the average HP across a batch so some may have more and some may have less, apparently mine is supposed to get 75HP which is not far off 78 for 150CC less. Pretty sure mine pushes 80 tho, Rarely notice I'm doing 90 sometimes

Removed my air shroud last night and it looks like I have to cut away some of the intake after all because it's not very effective, small holes etc. I'm probably going to just enlarge the holes then I'll start to take my intake system apart to de - baff it :) pictures to follow

hi lloyd i done mine today the front part its made sound little better but my engine did sound meaty anyway being the 1.6 16v ill also do the baff soon and see how that makes it :) but do post pics after as i would like to see thanks m8

matt

Just finishing de-snorkaling and de-baffling my airbox today. Took her out for a run, and noticed the the idles revs were a tad higher once the engine had warmed up. However, after returning back home, and letting her rest whilst ticking over, it seems that the ECU has now adjusted to the increased flow of air.

In regards to removing the baffle, has anyone noticed any performance losses/gains? I heard somewhere that removing the baffle causes a loss of air pressure therefore reducing overal torque. Can anyone elaborate on this? I don't see how removing the snorkal and/or baffle would have a massive negative affect on performance.

So can anyone shine some light on de-baffling and performance?

What on earth are you all cutting up your car for lol....... you do know to get affect you are after you have to work two parts so if you have more air flow you need a good cat back exhaust with maybe a sports cat also. your moaning about fuel adding more power will burn more fuel. you have a 1.4 its going to be slow as, live with it or buy a faster car, i have a mk7 1.4 titanium and its also slow as and poor with the engine not being very revvy just live with it and stop chopping up your car!

Edited by iNath
Removed swearing

Principle of mass air flow does not rely on the velocity of the air simply the Volume per second. By removing the baffles your adding more air into the airbox, basically turning your stock intake system into an induction kit, spoke to the ex mechanic in my lift share to work today, said it will give a beefier edge to your power and better your fuel economy because the air is in mass and is a purer form. Also another thing he said to do was to block off the EGR valve on the exhaust manifold. Yeah It will need a drive round to adjust, probably about 10 - 20 miles should do it. enough for the ECU to adjust properly, pictures up sunday.

@louis. No point getting a catback exhaust system as the engine won't be pushing the gasses out fast enough to make the difference, best thing to do rather than spend £60-£100 is just remove the mid box and replace it with a pipe.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club