Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High Fuel Conumption: Something Wrong Here??

jnb1

Per example of my statement, I work on 747 Jumbo's and the engine rely on mass air flow. Even though the aircraft is travelling at a speed of 0.86 mach the airspeed at the fan blades is only 0.4 mach (divergent ducts etc.), the point is that the engine uses that large surface area to burn as much fuel/air mixture as it can per any given moment of time, So velocity is disregarded as it relies on time. Even this 80% of the engines power comes from the Cold by pass air meeting the Hot exhaust gasses, to replicate this, you can add a styling tip as it will partially turn your exhaust into a bypass engine as the cold passing air goes through the gaps in the styling tip then meets the hot exhaust gasses. Surrounding air does the same but not as concentrated. Not sure about that though

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jnb1

• Lloyday

• james_60

• mk6 fiesta owner

In regards to removing the baffle, has anyone noticed any performance losses/gains? I heard somewhere that removing the baffle causes a loss of air pressure therefore reducing overal torque. Can anyone elaborate on this? I don't see how removing the snorkal and/or baffle would have a massive negative affect on performance.

I haven’t really read the whole of this thread so apologies if this doesn’t make sense but smooth airflow into the engine is important. The parts you're talking about could have helped with smoothing so removing them could make the air entering the engine more turbulent. This means you might not reliably get the same amount of air into the engine cylinders each time as the flow of air isn't at a constant rate. This would have a negative effect on engine power. Just a guess but maybe that’s what your sources are referring to.

Hehe! No problem Matty, looks like a trend is starting. I personally have removed the snorkel (the bit at the front by the grill), and (will be) removing the baffle (the bit in the airbox) tomorrow morning. This gives you a nice engine roar without damaging performance. It actually makes your throttle response crisper. I'm also dropping in a BMC filter tomorrow, and adding some pumaspeed cams, which should sweeten the deal

I did thanks Jamie! Sent you a reply

Good idea! Actually, Pembrokeshire is west Alot of zetec's round here! Before we have a meet, I'm going to put some proper alloy's on, as I can't turn up with the stock Ford alloy's, I'll get laughed out! . Not so keen on adding an exhaust tbh, as I can't be asked paying the slightly increased insurance premium!

On another note, I hope insurance companies have been and will be made aware of the induction modifications, aftermarket cams and non-standard wheels that have been discussed here...

@ Louis: I understand your point, and have since replaced the baffle in my airbox, as the car performed better as it was. You would be surprised though, the 1.4 isn't that slow, gave my mates Audi A3 a run for its money. But I am taking your advice, and part exchanging my zetec for a 1.8 VVTi Celica next year.

@Dave: Of course my insurance will be informed, although the new alloys and cams haven't been installed yet. Not sure if I should install them, or keep the wheels for my celica next year.

@Lloyd: I can imagine blocking off the EGR valve would lead to quite a few MAF/emissions issues. Not sure I want to venture down this route. I have now come to the conclusion: Why spend loads of money modifying your car, when you can save that money, and use it to buy a faster car next year. However, drop in a BMC filter if you must though, I love not having to drop down to 3rd from 5th to overtake, the torque is lovely :)

i know each to there own but i wish to god i didnt buy the car lol FAMILY is the only reason :( i watched some videos of my self in old cars and im going back to old e36s.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club