Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loose Brake Disc

Focus_IRE

Hello everyone, can anyone give me advise on why my brake disc would become loose? I heard rattling coming from drivers wheel thought it might have been a few things so I took off the wheel and shook the disc and it is loose, what can I do? Car still under warranty anyway! Help please :-/

The disks on these cars are actually held on by the wheelnuts when the wheel is on, are you sure the rattle is not coming from the shield behind the disk? rattles can be transmitted from anywhere, but if it sound like its coming from underneath, its more likely to be a loose heatshield.

• Like 1

Dont know actually Chris mate didnt check that just even with wheel on that it rattles mad when hittin small bumps on road and things may be the shield i need to check so

I've just had the exact same problem, rattled like mad over even the smallest of bumps, mine turned out to be 'cheap' brake pads. Once I had the wheel off I could wiggle them around inside the caliper, new set fitted nice and snug, problem solved... It would be the first place I would look.

were they cheap ford ones lol

Jamie

More then likely lol. Whatever they were they were loose, its all good now though ;-)

• 7 years later...

So, what were the bad pads?  What were the good pads that fixed the issue?  I believe I'm having same issue.  Pad is able to wiggle or move just a bit in the caliper.  Mine moves and I head a "click" when I move in reverse and touch brakes... and then again the first time I move forward and tap the brakes.  upon inspecting the calipers and pads, there appears to be about 1/8" - 1/16" amount of space in the tolerance of where the pad "ears" set in the caliper... wondering if there is supposed to be some sort of shim here or if like mentioned, I might have just gotten similar "cheapo" pads and need to switch them out with better ones.

14 hours ago, erikveston said:

, there appears to be about 1/8" - 1/16" amount of space in the tolerance of where the pad "ears" set in the caliper...

There is a gap there, it helps the brake to move with the rotors and not put quite so much stress on the lugs, it also helps it not to bind/seize up quite so much and helps debris escape if anything works it's way in.

Having had a look, did you give them a clean up as well? Given the fact that it's a click when you first move off, it could be the caliper pot itself twisting and having a bit of crud binding it up, or  what I suspect more likely, a pad that sits closer to the rotor and sticks where a caliper isn't quite retracting quite as far as it could/should. If it were the twist of the pad and the lugs tapping in to the caliper holder I wouldn't expect it to be quite as audible or noticable over the engine unless you were really looking for it or booting it everywhere to make it slam back and forth.

Might be worth having another look and clean up, just have the pads out and see if you can see anything a little off- Compare to the other side for reference and if you can back it up an inch or so before you get the wheels off (or spin them by hand) you should be able to see or feel if something is sticking/sat on the rotor or not.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club