Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Low Again...garage Predicts Major Problems Soon

bluearmy

Hi all,

Focus Cmax 2004 1.8 petrol

My car has started losing oil at an alarming rate. Was serviced 9 months ago. Last month I took it it as handbrake had come loose. They checked oil whilst it was in and said it was empty. So they topped it up for me for cost price of course.

I havent notice any oil on my driveway so I rule out a leak.

Anyway, as it happens I have just had rev problems and took it in again and was told its the manifold or something and its going to cost £60 just to get to the problem and see what it is. Thats not my main concern at the moment though. The oil was almost gone again. And its only been a month...

I noticed some smoking a couple of times this month but nothing persistent. Garage told me that it could be the start of major engine trouble and I should get rid as soon as possible. It only has 40k on clock.

Could it not be something simple? Maybe a seal somewhere? Or am I to bite the bullet and try to get shot of it? I am really short on cash at the moment so I am low on options....

Any advice would be welcomed.

thanks for looking

A stuck PCV valve maybe ? This would cause excessive crankcase pressure forcing oil past seals. Other than that, yes, its going to be some expense finding the problem.

Check and topup the oil frequently yourself, if it runs OK using a few gallons of cheap oil a year stick with it, at least you won't have to ever do another oil change !

There's probably some additive you can buy but i wouldn't suggest you try it until you know the crankcase is properly ventilated.

D.

Would it cost me to actually get the garage to find the problem? I assume like the manifold issue I have, that they will charge me labour just to locate it. If they locate it at all that is........

As for refilling the oil on a monthly/bi-monthly basis, was that a serious suggestion? Or more tongue-in-cheek? It would certainly be a cheaper option thats for sure....

Thanks for reply

if the engine is burning the oil, you need to work out how its getting into the cylinder.

if its the valve stem seals, take the car for a run, get the oil hot and leave it overnight. have someone start the car up for you next day while you stand at the rear of the car looking for blue smoke

as above, excessive pcv pressure can force oil past the rings, but you might also have a worn/damaged ring or rings

Be good, and If you do PX your car let us know the Reg No so one of us don't get stuck with it. :o

Ok, so garage phoned me this morning and said some manifold pipe has split. £25+vat for new one. Is there a chance this could have caused my oil to disappear?

Ok, so garage phoned me this morning and said some manifold pipe has split. £25+vat for new one. Is there a chance this could have caused my oil to disappear?

Did the garage not say if that was the cause of your oil disappearing? Or do they have some other explanation ? :blink:

I get the feeling they dont want to investigate it for some reason....

They said that the current repair wont sort it.

Didnt really give me any clue. Just said they cant understand it, the engine sounds really good and looks in good nick with only 40 odd thousand on it.

Probably take it somewhere else for a look over when I get it back

I get the feeling they dont want to investigate it for some reason....

They said that the current repair wont sort it.

Didnt really give me any clue. Just said they cant understand it, the engine sounds really good and looks in good nick with only 40 odd thousand on it.

Probably take it somewhere else for a look over when I get it back

Yes good idea, take it elsewhere.