Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water Leaking Into Passenger Footwell

josh19

well mines gone into ford dealers today, the guy was a total d**k.....made out i should be gratefull hes going to pay for it as its not covered by the 3 year warenty i took out, i explain or tried to that this is a common thing etc etc, and tried to voice my concerns and he says it fixable omg wished i never bothered with ford now after all thats only cars i would have, so its back wednesday

For what its worth, currently driving round like this: :wacko:

interior

so, I've sealed with silicone here:
Left Bulkhead:

L bulkhead

Right bulkhead:

R bulkhead

and replaced the heater box gasket:

heater Box

have replaced the bung & fixed another here:

driver floor

but I can still find a leak inside here:

grommet

So remaining is to seal up the cable grommet. Note the amp power lead for my stereo which added to the leak :(

• 1 month later...

Ok I *think* its sorted!

Sealed as before, and also think that 1 leak was coming in through the courtesy-light switch - the roof rubber seal stops just above, and there was definitely water getting in to the A pillar.

What I DID do though was install a Damp-Proof course!:

Damp Proof course

I made a small hole in the sealing bungs in the floor pans, so if water does get in, it has somewhere to go. the carpet though should be kept dry.

Lets see how we get on in the winter!

• 1 month later...

Hi, i have joined this forum to help others about this issue, i have had the same issue with my 60 plate Zetec Fiesta, i did not know there was an issue until there was a smell in the car like " Cat Pee" i eventually found where the smell was coming from, the drivers side footwell carpet. The weird thing is the carpet was bone dry on the top, when i looked at the chassis number i could see the floor was wet and the smell was a lot stronger. When the carpet was lifted up, the soundproofing was saturated a lot of water near the pillar on the right hand side. i went back to the main dealer who was not very helpful saying it was probably coming from the pollen filter as it had been serviced, but not with them, but a reputable garage at a fraction of the cost, they said the filter housing had been disturbed, Over a few days i managed to dry it out using newspaper, then it rained hard and it was soaked again. i went back to the main dealer who advised me to go to their bodyshop but advised me if a seam had a leak, they were only covered for the first 12 months, what a joke! So i armed myself with some info that i had printed from 4 seperate websites including these from FOC, clearly proving there is an issue with water leaks on the fiesta, if you push hard on the carpet behind the drivers seat i had a small puddle of water coming through. The guy who checked my car told me exactly what the issue was, open up the bonnet, and check where the hinge area is on the drivers side, look to the left and there is a small seam that is not filled up correctly, the water runs into that, fills the pillar with water flooding your car with water. When i pointed out that i had evidence to prove their is a fault, they agreed to sort it out, free of charge. This proves to me they know its a fault with the fiesta, as i have read other owners had issues with various leaks. I have a photo of the problem area which i can attach when i set up a Photobucket account. I know this is longwinded but i am hoping this will help others, i think it is disgusting that when you buy a brand new car leaks are only covered for the first 12 months, i wonder how many people pay main dealers to put this fault right? Print this thread off and take it as evidence, the main dealer should accept it is fault with production, if not give Ford Customer relations a call on 0845 841 1111, i have heard they are very good contacting main dealers who are not helpful, always worth a mention to the dealer when talking about this issue,

Hope this helps, thanks for the other members who had already added info on this issue, it really helped me out. B-)

Hi, i have joined this forum to help others about this issue, i have had the same issue with my 60 plate Zetec Fiesta, i did not know there was an issue until there was a smell in the car like " Cat Pee" i eventually found where the smell was coming from, the drivers side footwell carpet. The weird thing is the carpet was bone dry on the top, when i looked at the chassis number i could see the floor was wet and the smell was a lot stronger. When the carpet was lifted up, the soundproofing was saturated a lot of water near the pillar on the right hand side. i went back to the main dealer who was not very helpful saying it was probably coming from the pollen filter as it had been serviced, but not with them, but a reputable garage at a fraction of the cost, they said the filter housing had been disturbed, Over a few days i managed to dry it out using newspaper, then it rained hard and it was soaked again. i went back to the main dealer who advised me to go to their bodyshop but advised me if a seam had a leak, they were only covered for the first 12 months, what a joke! So i armed myself with some info that i had printed from 4 seperate websites including these from FOC, clearly proving there is an issue with water leaks on the fiesta, if you push hard on the carpet behind the drivers seat i had a small puddle of water coming through. The guy who checked my car told me exactly what the issue was, open up the bonnet, and check where the hinge area is on the drivers side, look to the left and there is a small seam that is not filled up correctly, the water runs into that, fills the pillar with water flooding your car with water. When i pointed out that i had evidence to prove their is a fault, they agreed to sort it out, free of charge. This proves to me they know its a fault with the fiesta, as i have read other owners had issues with various leaks. I have a photo of the problem area which i can attach when i set up a Photobucket account. I know this is longwinded but i am hoping this will help others, i think it is disgusting that when you buy a brand new car leaks are only covered for the first 12 months, i wonder how many people pay main dealers to put this fault right? Print this thread off and take it as evidence, the main dealer should accept it is fault with production, if not give Ford Customer relations a call on 0845 841 1111, i have heard they are very good contacting main dealers who are not helpful, always worth a mention to the dealer when talking about this issue,

Hope this helps, thanks for the other members who had already added info on this issue, it really helped me out. B-)

Ford are not interested that there ford fiesta zetec clearly have a design problem. Would not recommend any one buys a ford fiesta. After sales service is the worst l have come across. They just like to take your money and hide behind warranty. Car should be built to last

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from another owner of a ford fiesta with built-in paddling pool in the passenger footwell :cry: . Lots of ideas and helpful suggestions in here - thanks :)

Pretty confident (well, the carpet is back in, anyway) that my bunch of mods have sorted. Hope it helps

Oh, dear, oh dear! I have an 06 Fiesta Ghia which smells of cat wee and yes, have found both front foot wells are full of water. Thank you everyone for the tips. I shall try them but then I suspect have to go to Ford who said it would cost £60 to test for a leak which could possibly be fixed at the same time for the same price. (Next I need to sort the clicking wing mirrors!)

• 1 month later...

I too have a leak problem with my 2011 Fiesta 1.25 Zetec. It has been leaking immediately above the accelerator pedal and, to a lesser extent, in the passenger well. I'm convinced it is rainwater - it happens after a rain shower and when I drive up the first hill from my house.

The car is at the local Ford dealer now and has been for a week. They have investigated and say that it's a windscreen leak, estimated cost £446.

I'm not happy.

I think I'll ring Customer Relations as advised by HappyDaze.

Any other advice, please?

I paid Ford £60 for a water leak check. They had it for a day, gave it back saying they had put the hose over it but couldn't find a leak. A very expensive car wash! It feels dry at the moment, though I haven't actually got down and felt the carpets. However, it hasn't rain so much recently. Good luck with Customer Services.

PS Wing mirrors still click, though I've retrained myself to lock the drivers door manually now.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi can anyone help me I've got a fiesta zetec 2006 with water in the passenger footwell and it smells really bad, every time I dry it out it comes back again, any advise would be grateful as I cant stand the smell anymore, and I've only had this car 2 months.

Heater matrix is probably leaking or blocked.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have a fiesta zetec s with water coming in on the passenger side footwell. I've taken all the carpets out and dried it all out. I've sealed the gap by the bonnet too. All dry so far, soon as it wet again I'll post pics and take any ideas from people how we can all solve this problem. Carl

had an 08 firsta that leaked in to passenger footwell. turns out it was coming from a clip that held a bunch of wires in place. to fix i pulled the clip out filled the hole with silicone sealant put some sealant on the clip just for good measure then reinserted the clip. never leaked after that.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks for all the help, my leaking fiesta was due to the air con outlet pipe being completely blocked.. took the pipe off from the unit under the dash and pushed a cable through it! 

• 3 years later...

So it’s the year 2020, I have a 2010 Zetec S which I’ve had since 2017. Since I’ve had it it’s really put the “well” in to the term front “foot-wells”. I’ve sent it in to a number of different mechanics, a couple of whom have stripped the car down to the bulkheads and sprayed the undercarriage with a pressure washer to try and work out where the water comes from, with the water not actually leaking in. It’s been suggested that it’s a number of things from the rear brake lights to the windscreen, however the water doesn’t leak into the rear foot wells(unless the front gets so wet that it seeps to the back) or boot and the windscreen has since been replaced to no avail. Any ideas my fellow long suffering owners?

A bit surprised that nobody has mentioned the cause when I had a leak.   It was the windscreen seal leaking.   A replacement seal cured it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2012 at 8:10 PM, josh19 said:

hi everyone ,

just joined the forum,i hope someone can help me with my problem.it`s this,

i have discovered water in the passenger footwell, had the carpet and sound proofing out and dried. then 2 days later wet ,very wet again.

i`ve checked floor pan and door seals all seem ok have herd it may be the bulkhead but from where?

can anyone help as i think my carpets will start to rot if this continues.

regards

josh

Hi everyone,

I've had the same problem for a few years now after rain. I think I've solved it on my old 05 Fiesta Climate: Lift bonnet and, looking at the car front on, there is what looks like a plastic box on the passenger side of the car, behind the battery. Looking down into it through the slats near the base of the windscreen it was full of water and old leaves. I put my hand down behind it and felt around and found a small flap. Anyyyyyway... pull flap towards you, insert finger into hole and wiggle it around! Old leaves, gunk and about a litre of water flooded out. Hopefully that should do the trick.

• 6 months later...

I have a 09 Ford Fiesta and had previously noticed that after heavy rain, the back passenger side seat was soaking wet and there was water under my spare tyre in the boot. My dad replaced the rear door passenger side seal and now the seat and boot aren't getting wet at all but the rear passenger side footwell is absolutely soaking! It's even leaking up towards the passenger footwell. I'm not sure what to do! The garage said it could be very difficult to identify where the problem is! Any advice?

• 3 weeks later...

I have an 09 fiesta with a very wet passanger rear footwell. If I contact ford will they sort this out FOC? Or with it being an 09 will they charge? 

Any help appreciated

I have an 09 fiesta with an extremely wet passanger side rear footwell. If I contact ford will they resolve the issue FOC? Or as it's not brand new will they charge? 

Is there anything that can be done without garage intervention at home to fix the issue? 

Any help appreciated 

• 3 months later...

So I have a 2019 Fiesta S Sedan and I've been having this issue too. It only happens in the summer. I noticed moisture in my back right floorboard this morning whilst vacuuming. I had this happen last year (2020) late June/ early July and the dealership chalked it up to "flood damage" as they couldn't find any leak or reason this would happen. Last year my back floorboard had a solid inch of standing water. This morning I caught it early enough to where it's only moist.