Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeal From Wheels After Braking?

Narth

I'm getting a loud high pitched squeal from (What i assume) is the wheels after i've braked heavily (to a stop) - any ideas what it could be?

It doesn't happen whilst im applying the brakes and goes away after about a minute or so on the motorway or after speeding up enough, but it's quite embarrassing in stop-start traffic!

Even if i move off very slowly it starts straight away... I can try record the noise if thats of help - is the pad getting stuck somewhere?

Thanks

Sticking caliper, needs sorting will only get worse

It's definitely getting worse, today the worst it's been before (not sure if due to the rain) -

Would it be a case of cleaning the old caliper or a replacement one fitting?

Can't tell what side it's coming from either which is the worst thing.

A clean and new seals should do it as long as its not left to long, Can you brake and then get to somewhere you can jack up the car and spin each wheel, also is one wheel getting hot after a drive

Yes i pulled up earlier after a 30 minute drive and noticed the N/S disc felt to be giving off a lot more heat than the O/S.

I can jack the car up on the drive and have a clean or do you mean brake hard enough to cause the squeal and then jack the car up immediately after stopping to see if its stuck?

Chance are its the N/S then but yep brake and then jack up, a strip and clean should do it

Cheers i'll do that then and come back with how i get on after the weekend!

mind you will need a 7mm allen key or socket if you are removing the caliper from the carrier

Mine was doing the exact same...annoying to say the least! My local Ford dealer said the brake (pad?) tolerances aren't quite right and that it was a common fault with the Fiesta. Left it with them earlier today and 2 hours later they had it fixed, all under warranty. Driven it quite a bit and no noise whatsoever now. Hope this helps.

What did they do to it when you left it with them?

Mine is no longer under warranty as of earlier this year typically - had no other problems with the car though.

Also - thanks Stef, have plenty have allen keys but that will save me trying every other one before 7mm!

Sorry I did ask but didn't really listen... all I remember is that he said its a common fault where the tolerances aren't right and the pad doesnt fully release off the disk.

I doubt wheteher you will have a 7mm allen key in your standard tool kit. Ford seem to have picked that specific size just so you have to go and buy a special tool just for that purpose.

Couldn't have made it 6 or 8mm, too easy.Good luck.

Funny you should say that i was just looking for one in a set i have, and nope, skips right from 6mm to 8mm. Thanks for the heads up

I doubt wheteher you will have a 7mm allen key in your standard tool kit. Ford seem to have picked that specific size just so you have to go and buy a special tool just for that purpose.

Couldn't have made it 6 or 8mm, too easy.Good luck.

its not just a ford thing, quite a few manufacturers are the same

To me it sounds like a stuck/over-extended caliper. Happened to me on my Telstar on the rear wheel. Caused a squeel/grating noise at low speeds and caused vehicle to slow when not giving petrol. Also rim became too hot too touch. In my case it was my pads were too low and braking and handbraking was over-extending the caliper and it wouldnt release.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club