Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Fiesta Economy ***Poss Rant Alert***

Flash

I used to have a diesel 406 and used to regularly get 60+ MPG out of that with careful driving - nearly, but not quiet, managed 1,000 miles on one tank of fuel. It become an all consuming gake to drive it carefully to see how far I could stretch a tank of fuel (and I never put the aircon on unless the dashboard was melting)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flash

• dja55

• Russ

• hedgepig

Top Posters In This Topic

Mines got better, i'm happy :)

Well - thought would give an update.....

Over 6k miles now. Have a new journey to and from work which, while mostly Motorway, is only about 20 miles each way so I suspect the engine is only really getting up to temp really just as I am stopping.

Have stopped checking the MPG religiously - was getting too depressing. Check on last fill......is now up to about 53mpg.

Not great - but getting there.

On the plus side - still loving the car. Have seen it in White on the roads.....not normally my cup of tea - but definitely liking that one. B) B)

I've just been on a trip up to Leicester and back (93 miles each way) and averaged 49mpg on the way up and 41mpg on the way back with the car absolutely packed to bursting! I was picking ym sister up from uni and she had two jumbo suitcases and enough crap to fill up all but a small gap in the back for a person to sit in. Three of us in a 1.2.

My normal urban driving mpg has so far topped out around 34mpg with 500 miles on the clock

I can't help but reset the computer when doing the odd type of different journey, to see what the car thinks it is returning.

Around town I generally get around 50-54mpg. On a mixed run I have managed 70.1, which I was happy with, but this by driving like a Rover 200 driver. A more spirited drive see around 60mpg.

2000 miles on the clock, and it is slowly getting better and better. In my opinion, diesels take a lot of wearing in, before you recoup the rewards, generally 3 years in when you swap it for another one :P

I've just done my usual urban commute, about 20 minutes there and back and I'm getting 37mpg which is pretty close to the brochure spec. I'm a happy bunny so far.

• 1 month later...

I think the trip computer under-calculates...mines says 61.3 mpg at the moment.

Take my real life example:-

- This time last week, I topped up a full tank - filled till it clicked.

- I driven 494 miles

- Today I filled it up till it clicked, I've managed to put in 33.4 litres

- 33.4 litres = 7.35 gallons (using 1 gallon = 4.54 litres)

- 494 divided by 7.35 = 67.2 mpg

I think that's very impressive! :)

I think the trip computer under-calculates...mines says 61.3 mpg at the moment.

Take my real life example:-

- This time last week, I topped up a full tank - filled till it clicked.

- I driven 494 miles

- Today I filled it up till it clicked, I've managed to put in 33.4 litres

- 33.4 litres = 7.35 gallons (using 1 gallon = 4.54 litres)

- 494 divided by 7.35 = 67.2 mpg

I think that's very impressive! :)

Glad someone has the sense to work it out prperly! the trip computer on the fiesta is shocking! mine says 46.7 its actually 58.8mpg when u work it out....

other thing is a tdci engine takes 8000miles to wear in unlike the 2-3000 miles a petrol takes!

You are being a little unfair on the engine - as it has only done 1.5K, it's still tighter than a nuns' chuff. Check your figures again at 5k and 10k.

And yeah, you will probably NEVER achieve the stated milage, for the reasons already stated.

Ah well, at least take comfort in the fact that the MP3 playback is perfect on these cars!! :P

Chris...

You are being a little unfair on the engine - as it has only done 1.5K, it's still tighter than a nuns' chuff. Check your figures again at 5k and 10k.

And yeah, you will probably NEVER achieve the stated milage, for the reasons already stated.

Ah well, at least take comfort in the fact that the MP3 playback is perfect on these cars!! :P

Chris...

Mine's done nearly 5k now and I'm averaging 45 mpg so I don't think it'll be long before I get the magic 47 mpg.

Like I've said before it takes about 10k before the engine's fully loosened up so be patient guys......it will happen! ;)

• 1 year later...

I have a 1.6TDCI sea grey exterior pack every option under the sun (bought it second hand) and tbh economy is well brilliant...

If the trip is accurate, and I will be checking the proper way on my next fill up.

According to my trip on my daily commute 30 miles each way, I regularly hit 65mpg, possibly more if I was to slow it down a bit.

I'm pretty damn impressed, I've done 200+ miles to a quater of a tank...

Well Chuffed!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club