Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help. New Alternator. Worse Than Old One

suddste

Hi,

Just had my alternator chanegd along with the aux belt. I'm very annoyed because it's charging less than my old alternator, and the power steering feels heavier than before it was done. I've noticed in the dark that the lights flicker when the a/c clutch clicks on and the voltage goes down.

Had a whining sound before the alt was done (thats part of the reason I changed the alt) that went away for a bit once the belt and alt was done, but the whining sound came slowly back after about a 100mi.

What is this? Been searching around on the internet and I have come up with it possibly being some tensioner or pulley for the aux belt.

And since it seems the garage made it worse, what can I do to avoid paying the aux belt to be redone.

Hi,

Just had my alternator chanegd along with the aux belt. I'm very annoyed because it's charging less than my old alternator, and the power steering feels heavier than before it was done. I've noticed in the dark that the lights flicker when the a/c clutch clicks on and the voltage goes down.

Had a whining sound before the alt was done (thats part of the reason I changed the alt) that went away for a bit once the belt and alt was done, but the whining sound came slowly back after about a 100mi.

What is this? Been searching around on the internet and I have come up with it possibly being some tensioner or pulley for the aux belt.

And since it seems the garage made it worse, what can I do to avoid paying the aux belt to be redone.

Take it back to the garage and complain, get it fixed under warranty.

its not unusual for an alt to whine when a loads put on it many will say its faulty thats just rubbish the more current it puts out the harder it works. as for the alt is it the correct one?have the garage check it again and if no faults can be found youll have to take it to ford and have it examined

Is it possible for the belt to bed in a bit? And I checked the belt and pulkeys and it all seems fine.

When the air conditioning clicks on(I think) the car shudders a bit then the voltage comes back up to 14.2V

Any ideas? Dont want to take it back yet because I dont think the belt is bad.

Voltage has been as low as 12.7V with engine running as well

been out and put mine into dash test mode went to battery voltage and did this at idle

headlights front and rear fog lights on 14.2 v

front heated screen only 13.5v

front screen and headlights 13.2v

everything on thast fan on level 4 headlights- fog lights front and rear- stereo main beam etc 12.8v

air con only no shudder just the click of the compressor and 14.2v

Thanks, the voltage seems fine now with the air conditioning off. Could it be posdible the wrong belt was fitted?

It's definatly the belt. The power steering feels heavier. What could it be because the belt looks and seems fine

It could be, but at the end of the day, the belt just goes round and round, you could fit a rubber band and the only burdon would be if it is gripping or not. Check the belt is fitted in line with the pulleys, if its inline, it could well be a faulty alternator. I always noticed that on my Focus the headlights dipped a little when I put on heated windscreens or AC...

It could be, but at the end of the day, the belt just goes round and round, you could fit a rubber band and the only burdon would be if it is gripping or not. Check the belt is fitted in line with the pulleys, if its inline, it could well be a faulty alternator. I always noticed that on my Focus the headlights dipped a little when I put on heated windscreens or AC...

I dont see how a faulty alternator would also affect the power steering heaviness

John, it's confusing you having 2 posts on the same topic. There is some great technical advice from members on this forum, my technical knowledge on cars is limited so I can't help you with that, but one piece of advice I can give you is, get some lessons in assertiveness, maybe at your college, (I believe you are a student),that will help you overcome a lot of your problems, sorry to sound like a Dutch Uncle but it will get you through life without all the worry.

John, it's confusing you having 2 posts on the same topic. There is some great technical advice from members on this forum, my technical knowledge on cars is limited so I can't help you with that, but one piece of advice I can give you is, get some lessons in assertiveness, maybe at your college, (I believe you are a student),that will help you overcome a lot of your problems, sorry to sound like a Dutch Uncle but it will get you through life without all the worry.

lol yeah you are right, I just dont like paying and then it to be worse than before

lol yeah you are right, I just dont like paying and then it to be worse than before

Go for it mate, don't let them get the better of you, good luck. :)

Go for it mate, don't let them get the better of you, good luck. :)

Dont know how to go about it, got any tips?

Dont know how i'd be able to prove it

Dont know how to go about it, got any tips?

Dont know how i'd be able to prove it

Just take it back and say it's still not right, they won't bite your head off.

Agreed, with reference to your question of "I dont know how this would affect the power steering" I believe that it is hydraulically controlled, and so a loss of power to the hydraulic motor, would reduce the effectiveness of the circulation of fluid and as such increasing the weight felt on the steering.

As Stormin said, you really need to take the car back. They have completed the work on the car, but the fact remains that the voltage is erroneous at best, and it needs further diagnostics, it could be something very simple they have missed, they could have provided an alternator that is not compatible with your particular GEM board on the smart charge.

Never the less, it is an issue that they need to review. as it is a new part, it should have some warranty, if not new, but reconditioned, then you may still have a small amount of protection on the part from the manufacturer. it could be something simple such as the pretentsioner has not been tightened to the correct torque, but if you take it back, it could still be fresh in the mechanics mind, and could save you a lot of hassle. If its something that they have done wrong, you shouldnt be charged, and if they have provided a faulty part, it should be down to them to provide a replacement that is "fit for purpose". If this one is not "fit for purpose" your consumer rights entitle you to a replacement that is, or a full refund so that you can take your vehicle elsewhere.

How I loves them consumer rights!

Agreed, with reference to your question of "I dont know how this would affect the power steering" I believe that it is hydraulically controlled, and so a loss of power to the hydraulic motor, would reduce the effectiveness of the circulation of fluid and as such increasing the weight felt on the steering.

As Stormin said, you really need to take the car back. They have completed the work on the car, but the fact remains that the voltage is erroneous at best, and it needs further diagnostics, it could be something very simple they have missed, they could have provided an alternator that is not compatible with your particular GEM board on the smart charge.

Never the less, it is an issue that they need to review. as it is a new part, it should have some warranty, if not new, but reconditioned, then you may still have a small amount of protection on the part from the manufacturer. it could be something simple such as the pretentsioner has not been tightened to the correct torque, but if you take it back, it could still be fresh in the mechanics mind, and could save you a lot of hassle. If its something that they have done wrong, you shouldnt be charged, and if they have provided a faulty part, it should be down to them to provide a replacement that is "fit for purpose". If this one is not "fit for purpose" your consumer rights entitle you to a replacement that is, or a full refund so that you can take your vehicle elsewhere.

How I loves them consumer rights!

it's definatly belt related, though, all the things the belt drives are affected, not just the alternator so it's more likely to be the work on the belt they did than the alternator.

What is a pre tensioner? it could very well be that

I poked the belt and that seems to have made it a bit better, not sure for how long, though

There is a tensioner where the rigidity of the belt can be tightened or slackened, I dont know much about the process but the Haynes guide should show it...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club