Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Suspected Clutch/Gearbox problem - HELP!!

macca73

Hi

this is my first post.

I have a 95, 1.25 fiesta. Have just driven down the road and the car sudenly won't go into another gear. Have had to turn car off in order to get it into another gear. Also, when the car is put into 1st gear, and I start the car, the car wants to creep along and also a slight whirring noise is coming from I suspect the gearbox.

Anyone come across this before, as I haven't.

the car has a full service history and has done 115K miles, but is in great condition mechanically.

Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks

the symptons you describe sound like it could be a problem with the clutch cable or the ratchet, is your clutch still operating correctley ?

Cheers for replying so quickly.

At first I thought the cable may have snapped, but it still goes up and down fine. so it don't appear to be that. But as I mentioned, when you do put the car in gear and start the car, it creeps forward and you have to brake to keep it stationery. And also there is a whirring noise (bit like a noising thrust bearing), when the clutch is dipped after you start the car.

Do you know if this car will have an automatic self adjusting clutch cable?

cheers again

Do you know if this car will have an automatic self adjusting clutch cable?

cheers again

It should do. Heard any clunking or clicking from the clutch pedal? If so, it's self adjusting and going mental. Is the bite point seemingly low on the pedal? What may have happened is the clutch has decided to be very annoying and has adjusted itself to just below the bite point, creating the squeal and the creep forward.

Hi Dan

No noises from the clutch pedal or clutch, but yes, the biting point is much lower than normal.

When i pump the pedal up and down, it still appears to be normal in it's movement.

The clutch hasn't been slipping, and have been no signs of anything wrong. It's just packed up!!

Cheers

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club