Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus TDCI Belt squeak

Simon S

Hi I have just bought a 2002 Focus from a person at work. I has an annoying squeak from the accessory belt when cold and damp and the previous owner was told by his garage it was a design fault!

Is this a common problem and would this be an issue with the AC compressor out of line or shall I change the belt to see if this fixes it?

My car looks like it's one without a tensioner, has anyone done one before?

Simon

Hi I have just bought a 2002 Focus from a person at work. I has an annoying squeak from the accessory belt when cold and damp and the previous owner was told by his garage it was a design fault!

Is this a common problem and would this be an issue with the AC compressor out of line or shall I change the belt to see if this fixes it?

My car looks like it's one without a tensioner, has anyone done one before?

Simon

mine squeaks when very damp, its always done it as far as im away. the belt was replaced before xmas and it still does it so i wouldnt worry to much.

if it doesnt have a tensioner, it will be a stretch type belt. there is a special tool that comes with a new belt when bought from ford, be prepared to pay over £40 though. it can be done without the tool just a bit harder really.

Thanks Stef123, looking at the ford manual I think it is in fact a tensioner type as mine has air con and the pretensioner type does not show the compressor. As the squeak is loud I will try a new belt and check the pulleys and idlers at the same time.

Thanks Stef123, looking at the ford manual I think it is in fact a tensioner type as mine has air con and the pretensioner type does not show the compressor. As the squeak is loud I will try a new belt and check the pulleys and idlers at the same time.

just read your post again, mine only squeaks when i start it up when its damp. it dissappears after a second.

check the condition of the pulleys and tensioner for damage and make sure there isnt massive amounts of play in the tensioner bearing.

it may be that your belt just needs tightened up? if the belt isnt as tight as it should it will squeal.

good luck :):)

Been to ask the advice of my mechanic mate about just this tonight cos mines doing it and its doing my head in. He said if I change the belt it will still do it, the pulleys need roughing a little or replacing. Replacing the belt wont cure it.

Been to ask the advice of my mechanic mate about just this tonight cos mines doing it and its doing my head in. He said if I change the belt it will still do it, the pulleys need roughing a little or replacing. Replacing the belt wont cure it.

im guessing as the belt turns on the pulleys it is in effect polishing the pulleys? hence the squealing...

That's what I was afraid of. There was mention of the AC compressor moving out of alignment and causing a squeak, might check it out. If not it looks like the idlers need replacement.

My mate said its with the belt being V shaped the pulleys get glazed right in the bottom of the V and this is what causes the belt to squeal. If you're is like mine, come summer it'll be fine.

you could go old school and try some belt dressing spray.

Thanks everyone, I have a tin of belt dressing on the way and I might change the belt when the snow stops and the temperature warms up a bit! I will roughen up the pulleys a bit too!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club