Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aux Belt

suddste

Just had the aux belt done with an alternator.

Checked the belt while it's been running and off and both times seems fine

But When a load such as a/c is put on, the alternator voltage drops and makes the lights flicker whenever the a/c clutch engages, similarly, when the power steering is put under a heavy load, the alternator voltage will drop also.

Power steering feels heavier than before, but its still usable.

I want to know what the problem is first before I take it back, does anyone know what it could be and if I leave it like this (because to be honest, while the alternator voltage drops sometimes when a load on the belt is placed, it all seems fine really, just heavier steering and flickering with a/c) will any damage occur to the parts being driven by the belt.

There is definatly no squeeling noises as if a belt was slipping, and no other chirping noises, it sounds really healthy tbh.

Any help?

Only logical answer is the belt is not tensioned properly.

Only logical answer is the belt is not tensioned properly.

Does it not have an auto tensioner? It has a 1.6L Zetec SE with air condtioning

Are you sure the tensioner is working correctly?

Are you sure the tensioner is working correctly?

Pretty sure yes, because theres no noise whatsoever comming from the engine, at least at idle speed and it doesnt slip

Was the alternator brand new? the voltage regulator on the top of it may be malfunctioning.

I'd start by checking the voltage across the battery, it should be 14v+ on idle.

If it's lower than that then the alternator, battery or regulator may be faulty.

Have a read of this article for possible test procedures to locate a voltage drop.

http://www.engine-light-help.com/voltage-drop.html

Was the alternator brand new? the voltage regulator on the top of it may be malfunctioning.

I'd start by checking the voltage across the battery, it should be 14v+ on idle.

If it's lower than that then the alternator, battery or regulator may be faulty.

Have a read of this article for possible test procedures to locate a voltage drop.

http://www.engine-li...ltage-drop.html

thanks for the replies

I still beleive it to be the belt because the power steering is heavier than before (especially with a/c)

john mate the only one who can diagnose this is ford they can use oscilators to check the alternator smart charge wave form theres so many possibilities here from the wrong alternator to a faulty alternator to the voltage regulator to a trapped or broken wire to get a definitive answer ide take it to ford and have it diagnosed

john mate the only one who can diagnose this is ford they can use oscilators to check the alternator smart charge wave form theres so many possibilities here from the wrong alternator to a faulty alternator to the voltage regulator to a trapped or broken wire to get a definitive answer ide take it to ford and have it diagnosed

Its not the alternator, though. Im pretty sure its the belt. Is there any tests I can do to the belt to check its tension?

Its not the alternator, though. Im pretty sure its the belt. Is there any tests I can do to the belt to check its tension?

John, take artscot's advice or you will continue to go round and round in circles, there is no magic wand that will sort your Focus out; you have been here before with other problems.

Might just leave it then. Really cant afford to go to Fords at the moment, Im a student

Might just leave it then. Really cant afford to go to Fords at the moment, Im a student

John, don't be a wimp, if the garage did the work and you feel it's still faulty, TAKE IT BACK AND GET IT FIXED UNDER WARRANTY.

John, don't be a wimp, if the garage did the work and you feel it's still faulty, TAKE IT BACK AND GET IT FIXED UNDER WARRANTY.

i think it's time I found another garage also

i think it's time I found another garage also

Yep! <_< But get them to fix your car first.

Yep! <_< But get them to fix your car first.

yeah, I guess thats the last time my car sees that garage

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club