Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Doing Your Own Service...

.Ryan

Hiya guys,

Well my Focus is due in for it's first MOT next month (great, more expense alongside the road tax!) and the car needs a full (and I mean, full) service ASAP.

The vehicle spent it's first 2 years of it's life being run to the shops and back by an elderly chap, and since I've had the car I've put some millage on it! As far as I know the car has never been serviced (ouch!) and this is something I need to sort.

If money was not an issue I'd just stick it in a Ford garage, but being in the times we are in I'm keen to do it myself. This is not only to keep the cost down, but I'd be interested in learning how to service the car for the future.

What bits do I need to do a complete service on the Focus? I have a Halfords trade card so can get some bits a bit cheaper :) Any tools I need to get hold of beforehand?

Cheers :)

Also guys, just wondering if I should use Ford or Bosch spark plugs? any difference?

Your best bet is to look in service book and see what service is required then go to

main dealer and ask for service parts see if the belt needs changing

Will have a look, will be ordering parts tomorrow and will take it from there :)

Stick to the ford plugs if you change them, they are cheaper than you think from the dealer.

Stick to the ford plugs if you change them, they are cheaper than you think from the dealer.

I guess then I can get my parts all in one go, get a reciept from Ford and keep everything tidy in my vehicle folder for when it's time to sell.

A good idea if you DIY service as its the only proof you have.

A good idea if you DIY service as its the only proof you have.

Quite looking forward to doing my first service!

Quite looking forward to doing my first service!

It's certainly a good place to start if your interested in working on your own car.

When I first service any car after I've bought it I like to replace everything - that way I know where I stand and I know it's been done properly.

I'm interested in that kind of thing, even bought myself the Haynes manual! I'm slowly working through the parts I need to get:

Castrol Magnatec 5w30 (5 litres)

Ford Air, oil & Pollen Filters

Ford Sump Plug & Washer

As far as I know they are the basics, stuff like pads and other bits im not so sure on.

Ordering the Ford bits tomorrow from the local Ford dealership.

Sounds good, got to start somewhere. Be needing a bigger shed soon :lol:

the ford sump plugs have an o seal in them, I usually find you can reuse them a few times but handy if you have a spare just in case.

When buying the oil, there is 2 types of magnatec 5w30, one of them is A1 for ford - if you didn't already know this.

Sounds good, got to start somewhere. Be needing a bigger shed soon :lol:

the ford sump plugs have an o seal in them, I usually find you can reuse them a few times but handy if you have a spare just in case.

When buying the oil, there is 2 types of magnatec 5w30, one of them is A1 for ford - if you didn't already know this.

Ahh I see, like you say good to have a spare, especially if your as clumsy as me!

Yea got the A1 stuff, used my Halfords trade card to get the 4L and 1L for £30ish! :)

Fair price, the trade card is brilliant for wipers and bulbs, what they charge retail price is actually daylight robbery!

Did you get your Haynes on trade?

Keep an eye put for the magnatec, it is on offer now and then for about £20 for 4 litres.

No they didn't have it in so got it off eBay for £12 new! :)

What are they normally, £20? Sounds like you got a good deal, fair amount of guidance for £12

What are they normally, £20? Sounds like you got a good deal, fair amount of guidance for £12

Yea I expected to pay around the £20 mark but searched on the bay and came up with that little bargain, now just need to find a 18" sport pack focus alloy and I'm winning!

• 5 months later...

Hi Mate,

how did this go? all ok i hope!

do you remember how much it cost you, and is it easy?!

All went ok mate, oil filter was a bit stubborn, and I'm yet to change the pollen filter but apart from that, all good and quite enjoyable to do!