Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bye Bye Zetec :(......purchasing New Car Tomorrow.....suggestions?

jnb1

Unfortunately, my Zetec was sent back for a refund last week, as the big end bearing was making a knocking noise. So it was decided, that I would get my money back and look for another car. Obviously a ford would be my first choice, although there seems to be a shortage of 'nice condition' modern zetec/zetec S around here.

Currently, I'm looking at a:

(If I can find one) - Zetec S

Honda Civic VTEC

Renault Megane 1.5 TDI

Seat Leon S/ Ibiza

Corsa SXI

Basically, my question is this. Obviously ford will be my first choice if a nice condition one can be found, but I just want to know what cars out of that list you would avoid. I'm looking for a car thats got a fair bit of acceleration in it as I like a fun drive (when safe to do so of course). Any suggestions/opinions would be gratefully received, as I'm going car shopping tomorrow.

Thanks

Josh

I'd avoid the megane and the corsa, they're crap.

Tbh if you are looking for some poke I'd give a Seat a good look. The Cupra Is cracking.

Depends what year your looking for? Also how much you want to spend.

Depends what year the car is and your budget... For example, I think the 2009+ Megane is pretty decent but the ones before 2009 were awful.

Doesnt matter what year of Corsa you're looking at though... Avoid!

I have already excluded the Megane and the corsa, as I had a feeling they weren't great. I'm interested in Seat, although trying to find a used cupra round here is hard. Any other suggestions for cars? Budget and plate wise, I don't have an enormous amount of money to spend, (a few grand). I just want something that is reliable but has poke in it.

VW scirocco.

I quite like the shape, sort of low, wide and punchy.

I would offer you my fez but im still pretty reluctant to sell it. Too attached to him! :(

Out of your list though, i would go for...

Zetec S (if i didn't already have one)

Honda Civic Type S (or Type R depending on budget)

Seat Ibiza FR.

and add on a Polo GTi. ^_^

i had vw golf diesel before my fiesta and there quick and reliable, ford fiesta every time tho now, n iv had 3 vw golfs (one 1997,one 2001 and a 2005 plate), totally love my fiesta

I have found a 307 1.6 Rapier (120bhp) for sale nearby. 76k miles. Whats the opinion?

If the Civic Tyre R is on your list, why not a MK2 Focus ST ? Can pic em up fairly reasonable.

Got rid of my Handa Civic as the better half did like to drive it 1.8 i-vtec 8.9 sec 0 to 62 very fast car £170 tax insurance not

bad for 140 BHP car had an EX with all the bits on it sat nav etc;.This is my choice as i still miss the go from the lights.

Cheers for the input everyone :). I'm looking at the VW golf or a leon, but I can't decide. The ibiza is also an option too, but they seem rather slow.....

Iv'e had a Civic Type R and a Leon FR 170 as previous cars. Out of the two i would choose the Civic every time. Better handling and Honda reliability. In the 7yrs (loved it so much) of owning the Civic all it ever needed was a new battery.

I've always found VAG cars a bit boring. Safe, yes. Reliable, usually. Interesting, definitely not.

Have you concidered something like this:

http://www.topgearcarsaleswarrington.co.uk/used-cars/renault-clio-2-0-16v-renaultsport-182-3dr-warrington-201223474969182

Buy a warrenty to go along with it and have miles of smiles knowing there shouldnt be any unexpected bills.

Or the next model on if budget allows:

http://www.roseisle.co.uk/used-cars/renault-clio-2-0-16v-renaultsport-197-3dr-edinburgh-201211456805568

I wouldn't pick a SEAT, my mate has a Leon FR TDI. Great engine but the rest of it is like a biscuit tin. Very noisy with a harsh ride.

I'd avoid anything from Renault to be honest as the parts are rediculously expensive.

A colleague has a 07 Laguna and a replacement ignition card was £230 and took 3 weeks to arrive from France.

Cheers for the advice. I'm going to look at a wide variety of cars today, everything from a seat to a vauxhall (although unless its the VXR, I won't be buying a corsa).

tbh everyone I know who bought a Corsa regretted it.

Honda Civic is pretty safe, wife has the 2.2 TD and it's a lot of fun, left a lot of people in the dust with that thing, and the Type-S is even more fun, deal maybe possible on those as the fugly new shape is out, looks like some one hit it in the face.

Fabia VRS? reliable, and alot of fun.

tbh everyone I know who bought a Corsa regretted it.

Fabia VRS?

Vauxhalls (spit) terrible build quality and crap wiring.

Skoda - once you get past badge snobbery you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Bear in mind they're a veedub under the skin but cheaper for decent spec.

Kia are worth a look too.

Their warranty and after sales care are hard to beat and the warranty is transferable between owners too. Ask Jeebowhite about that.

yup missus wouldn't consider a Skoda at all for being a badge snob.

yup missus wouldn't consider a Skoda at all for being a badge snob.

Even knowing it's a VW for less money?

Loads of Police units use skoda's and they are reliable and well built.

Just buy some Dub badges off eBay, she'll never know ;)

After much searching, I bought my new car today: A Focus Sport 1.6 with 43k miles on the clock, 2006 plate. Its immaculate both inside and out, and had 2 previous female owners. Paid £3,950 (Knocked the dealer down from £4,250) for it, and it comes with a full service and valet.

Took it for a test drive, and I must say, I'm surprised how much pull it has in it for a 1.6. At 80, it was like sitting in an armchair with almost zero wind noise, and the car was eager to go alot futher. I'm picking it up next Wednesday. All in all, I think I made a good choice.

One thing I'm curious to know, do the 06 focus' have the VVT engines in them, as I read somewhere that a few do.

EDIT: I also see that the 1.6 Focus sport comes in 2 engines. The 100HP or the 115HP. As it didn't state on the car at the time, how will I know what engine I have?

I haven't picked up the logbook yet, as I dont pick the car up until next week

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club