Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remap What's The Catch

Drich290195

Spoke to a guy who is a friend of a friend who is gonna do a remap for me for 175 he has a unit etc but why so cheap is their such a thing as a bad remap he said we could discuss when I arrived what performance we wnt to get out It

There is most definately such thing as a bad remap. My cousin works in a local tuning centre, and the amount of customers he has had in, asking him to get their ECU back to normal function due to a poor/bad remap is astounding. The remap has got to be made skillfully, otherwise it can put all sorts of values (such as Air flow, fuel air mixture) out whack.

Mmmm so may not be as good as it first appears then is the only way to go back to stock to have it remapped again at full cost

Your better off getting a bluefin mate, thats what I'll be doing in a month or two. That way you can switch between stock and mapped at any time. Nice Focus btw, loving the wheels :)

best thing for you to do is go to a place which is reasonable and have good customer advice, its also best to go to a unit/tuning shop where they have a rolling road so u can see the outcome of the remap.

give these guys a go http://www.htecelite.com/

very well priced.good remaps and a great service.

Just curious guys, is it even possible get my 1.6 Petrol Re-mapped? would it even be worth it and id have declare it almost instantly wouldn't i on insurance?

A non turbo petrol is hardly worth a remap.. You may see 10bhp if your extremely lucky....

Diesels get the best gains, due to running very lean out of the factory... You am see in some cases 35bhp and shedloads of torque increase... Turbo petrols see not far off diesels..

Advantage of remapping a diesel is better fuel economy too!! May sound too good to be true but it isnt lol!!

Just curious guys, is it even possible get my 1.6 Petrol Re-mapped? would it even be worth it and id have declare it almost instantly wouldn't i on insurance?

yes it is....only a 7BHP increase, though

yes it is....only a 7BHP increase, though

only 7bhp increase :( and how much did you pay for the unit??

i take it you still notice the difference...

When combining the 7hp with :-

Free Flow Air Filter

Sporty Exhaust

Better spark plugs

Better Ignition leads

oil and Filter change

you may increase the 7hp to lets say 15-20

It will cost more money though to see those gains

This is where mountune comes into play

Jamie

only 7bhp increase :( and how much did you pay for the unit??

i take it you still notice the difference...

Ive no idea lol, I nearly did it but decided not to do it because there might not be much difference and its £250

That is a high cost though, £250 for 7 bhp!!!

How does Bluefin work? is it a piggy back or is it an actual ECU you can replace?

It's a recode of the original engine management software.

You install it via the OBD port.

No chips to swap, no boxes to fit, just a straight software job.

That is a high cost though, £250 for 7 bhp!!!

How does Bluefin work? is it a piggy back or is it an actual ECU you can replace?

Would you even notice 7BHP?

Would you even notice 7BHP?

You might see improvement in fuel economy and a bit more torque but unfortunately petrol engines seem to not really benefit from retunes.

My diesel 1.8 Focus went from 115bhp to 148bhp average with a Bluefin, very noticable.

You might see improvement in fuel economy and a bit more torque but unfortunately petrol engines seem to not really benefit from retunes.

My diesel 1.8 Focus went from 115bhp to 148bhp average with a Bluefin, very noticable.

next time I will probably buy a diesel so that I can get a lot more performance from chips, does it wear other components any more? Like clutch?

When combining the 7hp with :-

Free Flow Air Filter

Sporty Exhaust

Better spark plugs

Better Ignition leads

Oil and Filter change

you may increase the 7hp to lets say 15-20

It will cost more money though to see those gains

This is where mountune comes into play

Jamie

yea i tried contacting mountune, and they were as much use as a chocolate teapot lol

they wouldn't touch my car unless it was an ST or RS, they wouldn't even fit a K+N air filter...

seen as K+N make a specific air filter for my car and mountune use only K+N, i wouldn't have thought this would be a problem...

And i need mountune to do it so i can keep my 3yr warranty intact..

next time I will probably buy a diesel so that I can get a lot more performance from chips, does it wear other components any more? Like clutch?

Only if you dump it and do a lot of race launches.

Strangely enough i had my clutch checked a few weeks ago by one of my work mechanics for a slab of beers, (they work on a lot of Focus and Fiestas as that's mostly what the fleet is) and the clutch is hardly worn at all.

Seeing as it's an ex MoD pool car it probably had a new clutch some time in it's life but it's holding up very well indeed.

Only if you dump it and do a lot of race launches.

Strangely enough i had my clutch checked a few weeks ago by one of my work mechanics for a slab of beers, (they work on a lot of Focus and Fiestas as that's mostly what the fleet is) and the clutch is hardly worn at all.

Seeing as it's an ex MoD pool car it probably had a new clutch some time in it's life but it's holding up very well indeed.

Pretty good. I herd remaps hurt clutches in particular cos of added torque. I guess not

As long as you're sensible you're usually fine.

Yeah its only if you drive your car like its a race, and you dumop the clutch into 4000 revs, thats when it hurts!

Other than that, more people continue to claim (and its only fair to advise you) that the following are more "at risk" when you do any sort of remap... to be honest, its hardly ever proven, but for the purposes of being fair:

• Clutch
  • Turbo
  • Suspension - I will never understand that one!
  • Common Rail - Diesels only of course
  • Tyres (fair game)
  • Head Gasket

Some of it is twoddle, but this is a list of only queries I recall over seeing on various forums over the last few years...

• 1 month later...

It's a recode of the original engine management software.

You install it via the OBD port.

No chips to swap, no boxes to fit, just a straight software job.

I know how it mostly works but do you need to do any extra download software (plugging into the computer and going onto bluefin website) to get the Superchip to recognise for example my uprgrades: induction kit, 4-2-1 branches manifold, sports car and sporty exhaust.

P.s I'm a noob and have no idea how to see if you've replied (mobile site user)

Everything you need to get started comes with the kit.

Install the bluefin as an external device on your computer and it all works smoothly.

As you send a copy of your map to superchips for modification the map on your car will show differences from standard due to the system learning.

It wouldn't hurt to email them details of your configuration though.

Install the bluefin as an external device on your computer and it all works smoothly.

As you send a copy of your map to superchips for modification the map on your car will show differences from standard due to the system learning.

So how is it you get the copy of your cars map to send ? 😖

So how is it you get the copy of your cars map to send ? 😖