Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Internet Security Do You Use

fiestaxr2i

I have changed over to Kaspersky internet security 2012 think it's very good.

what do you use?

i use microsoft security essentials - its free and doesnt slow the pc down when running scans/updates.

i use microsoft security essentials - its free and doesnt slow the pc down when running scans/updates.

+1

Kaspersky for me and the household, using Internet Security 2012. The fact that you can buy a release of 2010 brand new, and you get a free upgrade is very enticing!

Its an excellent product, but I am thinking about trialling "Trend Micro" for next year...

I use AVG and Spybot. C Cleaner is also an excellent cleaning tool. All are free from FileHippo.com.

Each anti virus out there caters well in some area's for what they do. However some are much easier to use (interface/functions etc..) and some are pretty advanced and protect down to the core of the system.

I used, Microsoft Security Essentials and and Kaspersky, however now I'm part of the 'Macbook' club so its no anti virus.

Norton came free on my last laptop, it was pretty good but it doesn't half let you know its there (Pops up random search windows/ updates etc etc)

i used to have norton and when it ended i decided to get AVG but had to download something to remove Norton as it wouldnt let me download another anti virus program and this put me off.

A good mix is AVG free and Super anti-spyware.

Avast free anti virus. The 2nd best anti virus there is thats free.

AVG it dose everything i need it to do and its free

I tend to protect my computer with all of the below, not running all at the same time, but I tend to try and scan the PC with each in turn)

• Internet Security Package (was Mcafee, now prefer Kaspersky Internet Security)
  • A-Squared (Now Emsisoft Anti Malware I think)
  • Malware Bytes
  • SpyBot Search and Destroy
  • Lavasoft Ad-Aware
  • Avast Virus Scanner
  • Avira Virus Scanner

There are a few more that I use, so if I think of the names I will post them. I am one who prefers one app to do most (thats why I buy Kaspersky Internet Security) rather than having the likes of Zonealarm firewall, AVG AntiVirus, then Anitmalware apps running seperately in the process its all run in one process.

I tend to protect my computer with all of the below, not running all at the same time, but I tend to try and scan the PC with each in turn)

• Internet Security Package (was Mcafee, now prefer Kaspersky Internet Security)
  • A-Squared (Now Emsisoft Anti Malware I think)
  • Malware Bytes
  • SpyBot Search and Destroy
  • Lavasoft Ad-Aware
  • Avast Virus Scanner
  • Avira Virus Scanner

There are a few more that I use, so if I think of the names I will post them. I am one who prefers one app to do most (thats why I buy Kaspersky Internet Security) rather than having the likes of Zonealarm firewall, AVG AntiVirus, then Anitmalware apps running seperately in the process its all run in one process.

I don't want sound like a total idiot but I'm surprised that any of them work at their full potential. The saying 'More is less' is widely known in the anti virus software community. Normally when you have multiple Anti Virus software they tend to work against each other and eat your computer process.

I recommend using 1x Anti virus and 1x firewall any more then its overkill. They all search for virus's but if multiple are searching the same area they will miss things because each software will think the other will pick it up. Its pretty much a silly way they are composed.

There are articles somewhere on the web, maybe worth a check. I used to have like 4xAV and 1xFirewall, then minimised to 2xAV, 1xFW

Edited by Mark M.K
Please don't swear

My oppo builds computers as a side business and he swears by AVG and malwarebytes antimalware.

I used to use Norton and Zonealarm but both together were very processor intensive and Norton was horrible to ininstall as it gets everywhere.

I agree. One anti-virus, one firewall, one anti-malware and one cleaning tool. The most important thing is to make sure they are updated VERY regularly.

Hi Paddy, you certainly didnt sound an idiot, best to clarify....

Day to day, my PC runs "Kaspersky Internet Security" that has inbuilt firewall and AV, and it works a treat at every day processing, I also run Emsisoft, as it is anti-malware specific, and sits in the background monitoring things, and a lot has slipped by Kaspersky that has been caught by Emsisoft.

The other applications, I run them as an adhoc cleaner. I update the PC, and all the definitions, restart the PC into safe mode, then just scan the PC with one app at a time, I never run them all concurrently. You see, each one is better at catching some things than others. As the virus / malware / greyware / cackware most of these companies play catch up and some play it quicker than others, so some applications will have a definition for that item where it may take others a week or so to develop the same.

As I say, I run them as adhoc scans, just as a routine "has something slipped by" and it has worked perfectly for me for the best part of 10 years, I am an experienced and certified / qualified user of PC's and am certainly no novice. I have been a systems administrator for a solicitor firm for a few years, and even though not with them now, I am still in the PC market! your comments of the conflict of interest is certainly correct, however that is if you run multiples of the same software breed in the background, (multiple Firewalls / Antivurus) then you do in fact cause the conflict, and whilst the two are fighting whose rule should win, the bug just slips in. but if you run one of each dedicated to the task, and then still just routinely clean with other utilities, you can keep your PC in its absolute best condition!

• 10 months later...

I have always used norton, i like the network monitor and trusted files which slashes my scan time in half, im suprised no clever git popped in the "i have a mac" gag.

Norton 360, came free with the computer :P

Can't stand Norton, It used to slow my computer down like mad.

I use AVG in conjunction with Malwarebytes on my laptop and Microsoft Security Essentials in conjunction with Malwarebytes on my PC and have no problems at all, also get no false positives either.

I have an SSD, so I'll never notice Norton slowing anything down :P

Toyed with fitting an SSD as primary boot drive and only running the OS off it but as my PC is a bit old I don't think the system would really do the drive justice.

I see that the prices for SSD have come down massively recently.

used to use Norton untill it let a Trojan through (fun times) now used Panda for years with no problem.

Toyed with fitting an SSD as primary boot drive and only running the OS off it but as my PC is a bit old I don't think the system would really do the drive justice.

I see that the prices for SSD have come down massively recently.

You'd be on a lot quicker if you did. I was surprised on how much quicker it makes a new computer, I have mine good for my laptop and my PC, on both it makes massive differences.

I use Comodo, have done for a couple of years - kept me safe. It isn't too intrusive, and it's really easy to use. Only thing is, they've started bundling other Comodo freebies with it.

You'd be on a lot quicker if you did. I was surprised on how much quicker it makes a new computer, I have mine good for my laptop and my PC, on both it makes massive differences.

I do appreciate that the SSD would speed up a computer but on my steam driven thing it would be a bit like feeding caviar to swine.

I do appreciate that the SSD would speed up a computer but on my steam driven thing it would be a bit like feeding caviar to swine.

Even an old single core machine could benefit.

If it is running Vista or newer it can make a massive difference, the HDD is often the slowest thing on a computer for general use.