Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Max Weight On The Boot Lid?

Aaron Swan

Hello all, first time user. Just picked up my first Ford Focus (MKII estate) so I'll probably be poking around from time to time.

Would anyone be able to tell me how much weight the estate boot lid will take when mounting a bike rack? The racks I'm looking at are rated to 99lbs but I'm curious what the lid is able to hold.

Cheers in advance

The lid will take the weight no problem but the piston strut will will struggle to keep the lid up with the weight of the carrier.

Hello all, first time user. Just picked up my first Ford Focus (MKII estate) so I'll probably be poking around from time to time.

Would anyone be able to tell me how much weight the estate boot lid will take when mounting a bike rack? The racks I'm looking at are rated to 99lbs but I'm curious what the lid is able to hold.

Cheers in advance

My Mk2.5 estate carries 2 mountain bikes hung off the boot with no problem. Don't open the boot lid with the carrier attached. Note. I don't have a spoiler fitted, I wouldn't use this type of carrier with a plastic spoiler.

post-29521-0-99032800-1341305250_thumb.j

I have a Mk2 hatchback, with the standard rear spoiler.

My bike rack has two straps which hook onto the top edge of the rear hatch and then travel down over the rear window to the bike rack (plus other straps at the sides and underneath).

But on the Focus these top straps would come down over the top of the spoiler - which is flexible plastic and likely to be damaged.

Any suggestions?

the straps will split the spoilers fixings as they are metal moulded into quite thin plastic youll suddenly find youre boot gets soaked when it rains i do not believe the foci was designed with these in mind as for racks ive not seen any for the hatchback as of yet

I have a Mk2 hatchback, with the standard rear spoiler.

My bike rack has two straps which hook onto the top edge of the rear hatch and then travel down over the rear window to the bike rack (plus other straps at the sides and underneath).

But on the Focus these top straps would come down over the top of the spoiler - which is flexible plastic and likely to be damaged.

Any suggestions?

The only option on the hatchback is either a roof mounted bike rack (disadvantage, height restrictions on car parks ect and difficult to put bikes on unless you are tall) or tow bar rack (disadvantage, expensive)

Cheers for the replies so far. I'm looking to hang three bikes coming in at around 100lbs, 45kgs. I might be able to reduce some of this weight by removing the wheels to put into the boot, but there will already be a fourth bike in there... and four people's worth of kit. So I really doubt I'll have the room for the wheels :S I am a bit concerned that if the hinges go, the lid will be flipped into low Earth orbit, where it will be unobtainable. I've considered a toebar, but I can't afford one right now.

--edit--

100lbs plus the weight of the rack

I would say the boot lid is strong enough, the load is spread between the hinges and the lock, but I'm not too convinced about the rack, I had tried 3 bikes on that type of rack on a Granada saloon some years ago, it carried them OK but I was a bit nervous about it.