Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retro Fit Cruise Control

Bladerunner

Hi, has anyone retro fitted the cruise control to the mk7 fiesta tdci 1.6, obviously the steering wheel central cover must be changed along with all the rest of the required stuff,.

But does there need to be some modification to the engine to supply the speed data ,also some alteration to the pedals , brake -accelorator sensor.

Cheers.

Well that'd be me ;) If you PM me your email address I've knocked up .pdf guide on what to check if yours is compatible that I can send over.

Hi iNath, saw that in yr list of things on your car but thought it was an option.

Thanks for the offer but not sure how to send a PM yet, will look at the info pages.

Cheers.

Hi iNath, think I sent you a pm.

• 2 weeks later...

I Nath, I have not had chance to check if the required wires/connection is present but am wondering if you have a list of items that will be required and did you source things from breakers yards or buy some new bits,it would be a real benefit to me as I commute 60 miles per day with almost all on MWay.

Of course I know I could have got the Titanium version but at more expence of course.

Am I right in thinking you have posted some vids on youtube about this.

I have read someware that adding this may affect the Ford warranty- any ideas on this.

Cheers

I Nath, I have not had chance to check if the required wires/connection is present but am wondering if you have a list of items that will be required and did you source things from breakers yards or buy some new bits,it would be a real benefit to me as I commute 60 miles per day with almost all on MWay.

Of course I know I could have got the Titanium version but at more expence of course.

Am I right in thinking you have posted some vids on youtube about this.

I have read someware that adding this may affect the Ford warranty- any ideas on this.

Cheers

Nathan did mine, and in answer to some of the questions. You only realy need the steering wheel insert and the wiring, the rest should (assuming the wiring be in place) be already on the car, However Ford will not sell the insert to you but will sell you a complete wheel and so you need to look at breakers or eBay. Just fitting it is not enough though, you need to tell the computer it's got it installed and for that you need Nathan (or someone else with access to the Ford Sotware and interface module) activate it for you.

Quick search shows two - (as of 17th July at 7-30am)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIESTA-MK8-STEERING-WHEEL-/150852803278?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item231f871ace - is £80

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FIESTA-TITANIUM-3-DOOR-HATCH-2008-2011-STEERING-WHEEL-WITH-MULTIFUNCTIONS-/261059614282?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc85d964a - £70

You can also try breakyard.net

Cruise control was only on the Titianiun version so there are not a lot of them around that have been written off.

I paid £60 for my wheel, and Nathan only fits the insert (not swapping the entire steering wheel,) and then sold off the rest of the wheel for £30 vi eBay, remember as it's Titanium model it's from it's a half leather wheel so theres a market for them without the insert.

Thanks for the links, i just picked one up as I've been meaning to do this for ages, especially as i am noticing a shiney worn down patch on my current steering wheel where i constantly hold it.

And i do 90+ miles a day so CC will come in handy.

Thanks for helping Gavin :)

As above, you can pick one up from a breakers yard or new from Ford for ~£134ish

You must make sure the cable is included (and in tact) if buying from breakers.

When you say cable, do you mean the one that is pictured in this photo, coming from the middle with the white connector on:

2012-07-17_12h33_401.jpg

Correct :) It also has circular spade that screws on to steering wheel to earth and 2 square spades that will connect to airbag - all need to be in tact.

Thanks for the links, i just picked one up as I've been meaning to do this for ages, especially as i am noticing a shiney worn down patch on my current steering wheel where i constantly hold it.

And i do 90+ miles a day so CC will come in handy.

You'll still need to talk to Nathan or someone with access to IDS... (And no I'm not on commision!!!)

You'll still need to talk to Nathan or someone with access to IDS... (And no I'm not on commision!!!)

Your cheque is in the post ;)

I'm joking of course!

Hi Gavin,thanks for the info, you say that all items are fitted except the steering wheel wires and of course the revised silver horizontal trim with switches.

What about the sensors for the pedals, is that all present as well but just redundant untill activated.

If that is the case is there anyone in Cumbria with the required Ford software module.

Thanks again.

Hi Gavin,thanks for the info, you say that all items are fitted except the steering wheel wires and of course the revised silver horizontal trim with switches.

What about the sensors for the pedals, is that all present as well but just redundant untill activated.

I've a Econetic 1.6 TDCI 2010 variant, in mine all the hardware was present just needed the steering switches and activating, theres no guarantee of course but if you PM Nathan he has a PDF of the steering column you can use to check for the wiring, there are some wires on a plug on the steering column that if they are present means it'#s pretty likely that the rest of the bits are installed. If they are not it means playing with the loom and not a simple job.

I'm not trying to be vague here but I remember it's on the lower left of the opened steering colum but can't remember which wires it was to check for, it was mainly petrol versions I think Nathan said that didn't have the bits installed but it would depend on when it was made, what wiiring loom they used, and so on.

If you are in the Midlands meet Nathan, it's a couple of minutes with the software and 20 minutes wait after you disconnect the battery to ensure you can swap the wheel without setting the airbag off and he was a nice bloke to chat to...

Ok, so I had a look and I have the 2 wires that mean I probably have all the things for cruise control. I'm probably being stupid, but can I just use the volume buttons to control it? Rather then buying the 2nd set of buttons.

Also i'm down on the south coast, by Portsmouth, any one with a IDS box near is to me??

I'm probably being stupid, but can I just use the volume buttons to control it? Rather then buying the 2nd set of buttons.

You will need the trim, buttons and cables from a Titanium steering wheel.

Ok, so I had a look and I have the 2 wires that mean I probably have all the things for cruise control. I'm probably being stupid, but can I just use the volume buttons to control it? Rather then buying the 2nd set of buttons.

Also i'm down on the south coast, by Portsmouth, any one with a IDS box near is to me??

Possibly by re-wiring the plug over yes, bit it mayu be a bit hit and miss to work out out and hard to explain when you sell the car on....

Possibly by re-wiring the plug over yes, bit it mayu be a bit hit and miss to work out out and hard to explain when you sell the car on....

Yeah thats what i mean, by re-wiring the volume buttons to work the Cruise Control. As i never use them to change the volume anyway.

I have no idea where the wire go's though. Is there a Cruise Control plug with no buttons attached to it hiding somewhere? Even if I did get new buttons i can't see where to plug them into...

Any one got any pic's of fitting the buttons?

Yeah thats what i mean, by re-wiring the volume buttons to work the Cruise Control. As i never use them to change the volume anyway.

I have no idea where the wire go's though. Is there a Cruise Control plug with no buttons attached to it hiding somewhere? Even if I did get new buttons i can't see where to plug them into...

Any one got any pic's of fitting the buttons?

Didn't take any photos but it depends how it works as to if simply swapping them will work. Some remotes work by closing circuits, others by sending a set resistance down the wire on a button press so it may or may not work.

Inside the steering column is a plug with xx wires on, this goes to a lead that is either a stright one to the audio side or a Y lead with some going to the Audio, and some to the Cruise side. I may have the audio one at home somewhere to photo later) there is a common ground and wires that split and go to the Audio and the Cruise side. You'd need to remove the pings from the "audio" side of the plug and plug them back into the "cruise" side of the plug.

To be honest I think the two controls look better as it makes the wheel not look lopsided.

This probably makes more sense when I put a photo up..

Didn't take any photos but it depends how it works as to if simply swapping them will work. Some remotes work by closing circuits, others by sending a set resistance down the wire on a button press so it may or may not work.

Inside the steering column is a plug with xx wires on, this goes to a lead that is either a stright one to the audio side or a Y lead with some going to the Audio, and some to the Cruise side. I may have the audio one at home somewhere to photo later) there is a common ground and wires that split and go to the Audio and the Cruise side. You'd need to remove the pings from the "audio" side of the plug and plug them back into the "cruise" side of the plug.

To be honest I think the two controls look better as it makes the wheel not look lopsided.

This probably makes more sense when I put a photo up..

Hmm ok I think I get what you mean, but a photo would help so i await that lol.

I'm no expert but i can't see why it wouldn't work so it's worth a try. And yes i think the 2 sets of buttons look better, but I'm just being tight and don't want to pay out for a new wheel! :P.

The other thing is that even when I get that bit done I still need someone to activate it.... iNath (if he would do it for me) is a 3 hour drive away!

Hmm ok I think I get what you mean, but a photo would help so i await that lol.

As you asked nicely The insert with just the Audio lead IMG_0067_m.JPG

king the

The plug that goes to the steering colum showing the spaces that would have the cruise wires, sorry I'm not takin the steering wheel apart to show you the cruise wiring IMG_0066_m.JPG

Finally the reverse of the volume controls, it looks like they are sperate switches rather than a resistance that changes depending on the button pressed. IMG_0065_m.JPG

A 2nd hand Titanium steering wheel will cost you £50-£80 and at least you know it should work - much less hassle!

How much would a garage charge to activate the cruise, and how many places have the required equipment?

How much would a garage charge to activate the cruise, and how many places have the required equipment?

Every Ford garage in the land will have the equipment - though I bet they will all refuse.

A select number of independent mechanics will also have it - but the rates will vary.

Sorry it doesn't really answer your question, but it's a "how long is a piece of string" type question...

I just don't want to buy a wheel, then end up not being able to find anyone with the IDS -.- lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club