Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dab Radio

Jwsturner

Stoney your guide works for the older models. My last fiesta had that model of stereo and it was a straight swap from a none DAB version to a DAB version. I didn't even bother changing the aerial, just ran a seperate DAB aerial in.

That doesn't work on the newer models. The stereo display also shows engine management warnings etc, so it's more integrated. I think either the wiring is totally different between DAB and none DAB versions or something needs to be reprogrammed to tell the car there is now a DAB stereo there.

I'm with you on your views of DAB, the boat sailed a long time ago. The technology is out of date and it was not pushed out when it should have been.

OFCOM are looking into rolling out DAB+, too little too late some might think

http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107052195

Personally I reckon DAB is all a waste of money.

Poor coverage, bad signal, outdated infrastructure and expensive radios.

I agree, if you don't have DAB in your car it's not worth the hassle getting it installed (unless they are actually going to turn off the FM signals like they said, is that still happening?)

My DAB keeps dropping out in built up areas, mainly in Leeds, and it's not like FM where you just get a fuzzy sound for a few seconds, it just cuts out completely and randomly comes back even when stationary in traffic. It makes me think about switching back to FM, I mean the only advantage is sound quality but with road noise that isn't noticeable.

For me DAB is about choice, the FM stations in the North East all sound the same to me, play the same pop songs all day long. I prefer rock/indie music. That isn't available on FM here. I could listen using mobile apps, but I drive through patches of no/poor 3G/4G signal. So I prefer DAB.

I agree, if you don't have DAB in your car it's not worth the hassle getting it installed (unless they are actually going to turn off the FM signals like they said, is that still happening?)

My DAB keeps dropping out in built up areas, mainly in Leeds, and it's not like FM where you just get a fuzzy sound for a few seconds, it just cuts out completely and randomly comes back even when stationary in traffic. It makes me think about switching back to FM, I mean the only advantage is sound quality but with road noise that isn't noticeable.

I have a DAB radio in my kitchen.

It's in a strong signal position and still only picks up 5 channels.

To be honest I rarely listen to radio in my car, I mostly play my choice of tunes off a memory stick, no ads and no inane DJ yap pluz no loss of channels :d.

Pretty much 60% of anything released in the last 10 years is crap anyway.

Thanks for the replies guys...looks like it probably isn't possible then...

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• 4 weeks later...

Stoney thought I would let you know my DAB situation...

I bought an OEM Fiesta 2013 satnav (head unit, display etc) unit after checking the plugs on the back of my existing unit (I have the new 24 pin connector fortunately, but no second connector presumably as I don't have DAB or SYNC?)...anyway...the satnav kicked in fine apart from no GPS as that's not wired in yet. Also, to my surprise, DAB just worked...straight away. I mean it works ...through my existing aerial :)

Hi, glad you got it sorted. Perhaps the Satnav units have everything you need inside them, below is the Radio AHU DAB version that I fitted into my 2012 fiesta, and as you can see, I don't even get a DAB option. It's as if something is missing.

I tried 2 of these units with the same result

post-41387-0-34136200-1412283961_thumb.j

post-41387-0-49440700-1412283983_thumb.j

I wasn't surprised to get the DAB option, but I was surprised it actually just worked! Is that model of yours definitely DAB?

EDIT: Sorry scrap that...just seen it says DAB on the back. Does it have two aerial connectors? Upload some more pics of it if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I wasn't surprised to get the DAB option, but I was surprised it actually just worked! Is that model of yours definitely DAB?

EDIT: Sorry scrap that...just seen it says DAB on the back. Does it have two aerial connectors? Upload some more pics of it if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

It has 2 aerial connectors on the back and 1 block connector. Those pics were from when I first fitted it and have no others. Everything else works on it so I use a seperate DAB tuner (pure highway) and tune it in on the ford stereo via FM. Like I said, I gave up with getting it to work.

Strange. My unit has two block connectors at the back plus the two aerials. Only the 24 pin one is connected at the moment (plus DAB ) so some functions don't work yet...GPS, SYNC etc. I believe my unit is a 2013 model so perhaps Ford changed how it works.

• 3 months later...

Did anyone get any further with this issue. Today i purchased a new DAB system with the colour screen over the dot matrix style one. Once we fitted it it instantly turned on and worked on DAB however after pressing the radio button to go backto analogue it now wont go to dab or even find it as an option. I only have the original ariel connected but the dab still worked so i cant see this being the issue. I just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did anyone get any further with this issue. Today i purchased a new DAB system with the colour screen over the dot matrix style one. Once we fitted it it instantly turned on and worked on DAB however after pressing the radio button to go backto analogue it now wont go to dab or even find it as an option. I only have the original ariel connected but the dab still worked so i cant see this being the issue. I just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this.

I haven't managed it. Have you? I definitely think there is more to it for certain models of stereo.

My DAB is spot on,signal is great and its nice and clear.

''Richard,didn't you have the DAB in yours then as you said above or sync.

My DAB is spot on,signal is great and its nice and clear.

''Richard,didn't you have the DAB in yours then as you said above or sync.

I'm sure mine would be nice and clear if I could get a DAB option.

I'm sure mine would be nice and clear if I could get a DAB option.

Its weird that you aint got it.

Its weird that you aint,been reading the post about it.

Excuse me?

I've read every post in here and commented many times. Still no answers.

Excuse me?

I've read every post in here and commented many times. Still no answers.

I have never looked at the back of mine,wish i could help mate.

What i mean is read about it on here what you have put and its strange that it's not there.

Didn't mean that have you read the post on here about it lol :)

Latest update

It would appear that My unit labelled AA6T-18C815-XB RADIO AHU DAB may not be a DAB stereo :-/

I bought another unit off eBay Which came out of a 2013 fiesta AM5T-18C815-XN RADIO AHU DAB. Colour screen type.

I fitted this and imediately got DAB working perfectly off the standard aerial. The problem now is with this unit..

It doesn't link with the ignition switch to turn on and off

I can't set the time

It doesn't recognise any AUX inputs, pressing the button does nothing

The backlight remains on when the unit is switched off

The voice control button does nothing.

bluetooth doesn't work.

I think I can assume that this unit isn't compatible in my 2012 fiesta. There appears to be loads of different version around that are all slightly different. It's so annoying.

If anybody wants to buy this colour screen DAB unit for £200 + postage (What I paid) then message me asap. I'll be putting it back on eBay soon.

• 8 months later...

I've just had EXACTLY the same issue today! Fitted a Sony DAB head unit, colour display and fascia to a 2013 Fiesta Ecoboost. Previously had the standard ford AM/FM head unit in with dot matrix (blue) display. Connected the FM aerial to the DAB port and turned it on and the DAB worked great for about an hour - switched between USB/Line In/BT Audio and CD all perfectly, powered on and off multiple times. I put everything together and tried to switch to FM and i couldn't using the radio button; but let me select FM in the menus - but since then no matter what i do I can't get DAB back!

I've probably gone a bit further than you in that I have IDS so i changed the config from "low end AM/FM stereo" to "High End AM/FM Branded" - no difference. I then found the option in IDS for Digital Radio system - changed from disabled to the digital radio function and re uploaded the configuration. No difference; although i tried to change this twice and each time it had gone back to disabled....incredibly frustrating!

Anyone got any suggestions?

• 4 months later...

i fitted my girlfiends new sony headunit in and it gave her DAB straight away just swapping the facia, radio unit and screen. There was no need for any Ariels or such alike it was just plug and play.  

• 6 months later...

I worked out how to re enable the DAB function after it disappeared, thanks to the guys on the NL focus forums!  I bought the UCDS adapter to edit the car config to enable the DAB option. Wrote to both BCM and IPC and disconnected the battery. Reconnected and I have DAB again. Now I have aerial DTCs due to no DAB aerial module connected, which is due to be resolved soon!

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to bump an old thread but i need some help!

I'm putting the OEM DAB aerial and amplifier in the fiesta but i can't work out where the aerial booster module and the stainless ground strip go - can' anyone post up any photos of their locations - or tell me where they are located?  currently the other half's fiesta interior is sitting in the back on my mondeo...and she ain't too happy....!

Good to hear that you finally got it working!

Hopefully this will help you in the right direction:

IMG-20140126-WA0000_zpsoj8pvg0l.jpg

The antenna itself is located inside the rear bumper, behind the reflector. It's hard to explain without a picture.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club