Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Police Just Stopped Me

suddste

Many years ago I once had the pleasure of pulling a Panda car over for speeding! I had been going through Hounslow West at a tad over the speed limit in my Marina TC when a local plods pulled me at the traffic lights. He told me to pull in across the lights which I duly did and he then came to the car an gave me a stern talking to about the errors of speeding. I was suitably apologetic and we left it at that. He went back to his car and shot off like a scalded cat ! I followed him and at 40MPH he was still pulling away, (the limit was and still is 30 in the town centre), Well at that time I had a CB Radio in my car and part of it's kit was synthesiser siren with about 30 different modulations on it, At the time the Police were still using the familiar two tone siren so I switched mine to the now widely used American police style and gave him aquick burst while flashing my headlights. The effect was extroardinary, he braked sharply and pulled to the side of the road. I pulled in behind him and this time I walked up to HIS car. He looked up at me somewhat bemused as I asked him what speed he was doing as I thought my speedo must be faulty! He asked why I thought that so I said that mine was showing 30MPH but I couldnt keep up with him ! I couldnt see any blue lights flashing so I KNEW he wasnt on an emergency and of course being a POLICE officer he would NEVER break the speed limit! Would he? His face was a picture, His reply was sort of ,Oh err, yes well, umm, Ok Fair enough, He then grinned and asked where I'd got the siren from and we got onto talking about CB Radios which had just been legalised ! I didnt mention that the synthesiser could also EXACTLY replicate the UK police sirens as well as the American ones! He finally said "Well we have both learned something today havent we? " After that whenever we saw each other on the road we'd pass with a cheery wave and a flash of headlights! Over time we became good freinds but we lost touch when he was posted to another district of London. I often wondered what happened to him.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stoney871

• NorthSussex

• TDCiST

• jeebowhite

Ahhh,yes...Lager! Unfortunately, there are a lot of Vauxhall (spit) owners in my area and their tipple of choice is 'Buckfast tonic wine and a 'single skinner'! (whatever that is!) :lol: I am sure that this cocktail of substances has jaded their view of what is a good or not so good motor.

Ah Buckfast., lovely stuff.

I was on a training course on my 18th birthday and we had some Scottish lads there.

I got severely refreshed on Buckfast and missed two days of the course recovering from a 'stomach bug'.

Good ole days. ;)

Lol. Buckfast is great for cleaning your engine too. You get an extra +10hp from all the caffeine in it! :P

Nice story alan, that doesnt surprise me, the days of those are long gone now. I have never pulled a policeman for speeding, however I did drive alongside him in the hard shoulder to shout over and tell him about a douche driver ahead, he was speeding up peoples backsides with a whisper of a hairs width between the bumpers, then pulls in, tops 130 then swings out across the lanes, he thanked me for letting him know and radio'd ahead to another unit, but apologised and told me that he was with the van ahead. So you can get away with driving on the hard shoulder, at 70 miles an hour, as long as your talking to a copper and being safe about it :P lol

Stoney, hopefully you were only a few over the posted limit, but not enough to trigger the 10% + 2, we all make mistakes, and I have nearly been caught a few times, but I think this difference has saved my license from being tarnished. Thankfully, 6 years driving and I have no points, and I truely hope that doesnt change :P

Nice story alan, that doesnt surprise me, the days of those are long gone now. I have never pulled a policeman for speeding, however I did drive alongside him in the hard shoulder to shout over and tell him about a douche driver ahead, he was speeding up peoples backsides with a whisper of a hairs width between the bumpers, then pulls in, tops 130 then swings out across the lanes, he thanked me for letting him know and radio'd ahead to another unit, but apologised and told me that he was with the van ahead. So you can get away with driving on the hard shoulder, at 70 miles an hour, as long as your talking to a copper and being safe about it :P lol

Stoney, hopefully you were only a few over the posted limit, but not enough to trigger the 10% + 2, we all make mistakes, and I have nearly been caught a few times, but I think this difference has saved my license from being tarnished. Thankfully, 6 years driving and I have no points, and I truely hope that doesnt change :P

Sorry, No + 2 in Sussex, it's just 10% over and a ticket.

Not sure about down here, I think its +2, but then again I am sure I went through at 10mph + 2 through one mobile camera site, and I didnt get anything off the back of it (thankfully)

Back in 1999 I got stopped by an unmarked traffic car on the M23 at 1.30 am, I was clocked at 114 mph; after an appearance at the local magistrates court I was given a 4 week ban and a £90 fine, I think I got off lightly, increased insurance premiums for the next 5 years hurt a lot; that and my present job has now reformed me from being a pratt into a law abiding citizen and sticking to all the speed limits, unfortunately this now annoys most of the other drivers who follow me, I sometimes wish I drove a traffic car to stop the hooligans overtaking me and vastly exceeding the limit, but that,s a job for my colleagues. <_<

For those interested in the accuracy of your spedo, my spedo reading was 123 mph when clocked accurately at 114 mph.

Radar can and often will (above 70) return a rough but not perfectly accurate response depending on the surroundings, for example, anything less than an arrow straight road will cause a slight dip in speed recording due to the angle that it hits the number plate, so 123 might be more than 114, but depending on the conditions, you might have been spared further! Its not guaranteed, so dont go trusting that as gospel but its a possibility!

I only ever hit that speed when there is something mega urgent, and it might be no defence in court, but to me its important, and I know if I get caught and done, it will be entirely my own fault.

It doesnt happen often thankfully!!!

Spedo's always read fast, usually by about 10% so providing you use your spedo to keep to the limit you won't get a ticket. My spedo reading 123 mph -10% = 111 mph which is not far off my 114 mph clocked speed, I must admit I did some daft things in my younger days and hopefully I have learnt from my mistakes, it's all part of growing up. :blink:

• 5 months later...

driving through my village one night about 1am coming back from my girlfriends house I pulled onto my drive and got out of the car, as I walked the short distance to my front door I noticed 2 police men walking up my drive towards me. They questioned me about where I had been, what I had been doing and asked to prove my address was indeed the house I was about to put the key in to the door to. They said they were "just checking up" scared the hell out of me I was only 18 at the time!

They weren't exactly the nicest of guys either. Crap attitude as usual. Silly police!

Crap attitude as usual. Stupid police!

That attitude certainly won;t help the situation either fella... There are good and bad in every job unfortunately...

Think again, if you weren't who you said you were they may have prevented your house being burgled, or did you just look dodgy? Show some gratitude. <_<

Please don't call Police stupid.

They're not stupid, just a bit thick at times. :P

You've just had three Officers reply to your message :D

You've just had three Officers reply to your message :D

Tee Hee Hee!!

Just to fight the corner of the copper's...

I have to say I was &#33;Removed&#33; lucky over the Christmas period, on Christmas eve I was in 'quite a rush' to get somewhere, and to be fair, I don't think saying 'a bit' over the limit would suffice to cover the speed I was doing... needless to say the 35% or whatever it is that they have tolerance was obliterated. (possibly closer to stormin's clocked speed :blink:) Mainly empty motorway and then a police car popped up behind me and flashed his blues, thinking that was it and I had lost my license I worriedly pulled into the middle lane, he pulled alongside of me and gave me one hell of a look that said it all. Didn't pull me, but I think that's because of the festive spirit! What probably could have cost me some consequence on my license was fortunately avoided, and a stern lesson was learned that day! I can barely recall exceeding 75 let alone a much higher speed!

So thanks to that officer who didn't do me, and who'se glare (suffice to say) probably did the same equal effective consequence as anything else!

So, you have officers like stoney who threaten to kick you in the plum pouch, but then do apologise afterwards ;) (only jokin, you know I love you really ;) :P) and then you get those who would rather teach you a lesson but without destroying your christmas!

Sometimes it's just your lucky day, join the reformed speeders club Jeebo; unfortunately you now have to watch out for the tail-gaters as you stick to the speed limits. :unsure:

Sometimes it's just your lucky day, join the reformed speeders club Jeebo; unfortunately you now have to watch out for the tail-gaters as you stick to the speed limits. :unsure:

Ive put some blue reflectors on each side of the rear window as I was getting fed up with the number of children racers sniffing my mudflaps. Its amazing how few do it now and how many suddenly decide to drop back because they noticed something different in the back window.

Ive put some blue reflectors on each side of the rear window

If i remember correctly, you may want to be careful... Blue Reflectors/Reflective Vinyl are classed as "Lighting" under the Vehicle Lighting Regs, and therefore you could be done for using Blue Lights on a Vehicle... The only thing you may get away with is because it is a steady light not flashing... but i'm not sure...

EDIT: Found the link...

Summary of Lighting Rules

In the regulations, lights, reflectors and reflective material are all classed as lights on cars (this means that the public cannot have blue reflective graphics for example).

Any colour light is OK to be on a vehicle if it is covered up or not connected up (excluding blue).

Only emergency vehicles can be fitted with a blue flashing light, or anything that looks like a blue flashing light, whether working or not.

Some of the rules do not apply if the vehicle has just been imported or is about to be exported, or if it is a visiting foreign vehicle.

You can’t have a red light showing at the front except:

• a red and white chequered light on a fire service control vehicle

• a side marker

• a reflector on the wheel of a cycle, motorbike or invalid carriage

• a traffic sign attached to the vehicle

You can only have a steady white light to the front and a steady red light showing to the rear of your vehicle. The exceptions to this are:

BLUE

• flashing from an emergency vehicle
  • flashing or constant from a police vehicle

Yeah, I'm joining up to the reformed, I have learned my lesson the hard way, goes to show kids, dont get too complacent with "oh, it will never happen to me...!"

as for the blue reflectors, its a shame that we cant have them, its a good idea in theory, but as its not quite law abiding... I suppose a teal green and a red reflector might be the exclusion to the rule... if its not blue, its not covered by that particular clause :P

Officer: "Is that a blue reflective sticker sir?"

Jeebo "No, Its Teal Green!!"

I can see the argument now lol!!

Lol.

Anyway none of us are totally innocent.

I had my excess speed brush a few months back and learned a lot.

Indeed stoney!

When I had the call about my brother in law being critical, there were moments of hurrying on the way to addenbrookes..

As long as we learn our lessons.

My excuse (no excuse really) is that I'm so used to driving pretty quickly for work it's easy to forget I'm off duty and get carried away.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club