Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Police Just Stopped Me

suddste

Better to arrive 5 minutes late than not to arrive at all. This from a reformed speeder. 2 speeding convictions in my youth, I should have learnt after the first booking. <_<

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stoney871

• NorthSussex

• TDCiST

• jeebowhite

Tbh because of the state of our roads down here at the moment, any thoughts of going quickly are the furthest thing from my mind.

More holes and pits than the Somme.

Officer: "Is that a blue reflective sticker sir?"

Jeebo "No, Its Teal Green!!"

I can see the argument now lol!!

You can have White lights or reflectors on the front

You can have red lights or reflectors on the back

You can have amber (orange) lights or reflectors on the side

Thats it for civilian cars, more or less

As this topic has mutated towards speeding -

How do the Police officers on the forum feel about the present speed limits - and the raising of the "temporary" (1967) national speed limit to say,100mph for ie, experienced drivers that have passed a special test etc

I for one actually agree with lowering to 20 in heavily built up and school areas... as for motorways, lets face it, its 70mph, most do 80mph if not 90... if you raise it, people will always want to go that bit more... if you raise to 100, then people will want to do 110/120... thats one hell of a difference between a lorry doing 50-55, and a car doing 100+... would be nasty if a lorry pulled out in front of you! like hitting a brick wall at 50!

I know modern cars have better brakes, better safety systems etc, but its not like drivers have improved... we humans are still the same as we were 50 years back... its us thats the issue with speed and accidents really...

You could get away with 80 on the motorways, but its probably better to leave it as it is...

I like the European system of a speed limit when dry and another when wet...

Ive put some blue reflectors on each side of the rear window as I was getting fed up with the number of children racers sniffing my mudflaps. Its amazing how few do it now and how many suddenly decide to drop back because they noticed something different in the back window.

Just bare in mind whatever's going on behind you is someone else's problem :P

If you think of the Autobahns in Germany, they have no limit but in reality there are very rare occasions when you can actually do top speed as some tit will always be going 60 and block you out.

Personally i believe that the UK speed limits are fine as they are, if you read up on braking distances and optimal spacing between cars you will end up with massive gaps between cars and a lot more cases of vehicles wrapping themselves around the Armco barriers.

If you think of the Autobahns in Germany, they have no limit but in reality there are very rare occasions when you can actually do top speed as some tit will always be going 60 and block you out.

Personally i believe that the UK speed limits are fine as they are, if you read up on braking distances and optimal spacing between cars you will end up with massive gaps between cars and a lot more cases of vehicles wrapping themselves around the Armco barriers.

So what you're saying is it's the idiots going way under the limits... Well that's that, let's get a minimum speed limit! :P

Wouldnt work...

What would you set it to??

Anything under 60 and half your transport of goods disappears... Its a nice idea, and I would love it! It would stop the people who say "I'm not comfortable doing any more than 50 on a motorway" from sitting in the middle lanes and causing more of a danger than most!!

I agree with a motorway test though, make pass plus compulsory, but thats a WHOLE other topic ;)

Yeah Motorway tests should be a compulsory, I did my test and hadn't had a single lesson on the motorway, yet I could speed off at 70 to my heart's content, and it's a LOT harder than people think first time. I had pass plus which had me on for 4 hours, but 4 hours isn't really ideal.

Trouble is though you think how annoying it is to be stuck behind a learner at 20mph in a 40, would you really want those on the motorways >.<

So what you're saying is it's the idiots going way under the limits... Well that's that, let's get a minimum speed limit! :P

The speed limit is the maximum the law will allow, it doesn't mean that it is safe to always drive at that speed. An intelligent driver will always drive at a speed they feel is safe for the road conditions and not always at the maximum speed limit on that road.

I would agree that the speed limits are about right at the moment, but an extra limit of 25, 35 and 45 could be introduced on some roads thus avoiding the big jump from 60 down to 30 in some areas.

Very True...

I was lucky to have the A1 (the non motorway bit) near home, so i was taken on that on one or two of my lessons, as good as a motorway... so got me a bit of experience.

The speed limit is the maximum the law will allow, it doesn't mean that it is safe to always drive at that speed. An intelligent driver will always drive at a speed they feel is safe for the road conditions and not always at the maximum speed limit on that road.

I would agree that the speed limits are about right at the moment, but an extra limit of 25, 35 and 45 could be introduced on some roads thus avoiding the big jump from 60 down to 30 in some areas.

I usually drive at 60 on the motorways, or follow wagons at just under for extra fuel economy. Hello 70mpg.

Very True...

I was lucky to have the A1 (the non motorway bit) near home, so i was taken on that on one or two of my lessons, as good as a motorway... so got me a bit of experience.

I had my dad take me out a few times when I passed, 1 week later I was having to run him to work and back for 4 months so got plenty of experience :P

The reason that motorway driving is not included in the standard driving test is because there are areas of the country that do not have access to motorways without driving a fair distance. (think of Lands End, 110 miles as the crow flies to get to the M5 at Exeter, one hell of a lesson and a very lengthy test indeed)

The reason that motorway driving is not included in the standard driving test is because there are areas of the country that do not have access to motorways without driving a fair distance. (think of Lands End, 110 miles as the crow flies to get to the M5 at Exeter, one hell of a lesson and a very lengthy test indeed)

People shouldn't live in such silly places then!

Alternatively, 2 tests? 1 for normal roads, 1 for motorway use.

Alternatively, 2 tests? 1 for normal roads, 1 for motorway use.

Nice idea, however how do you legislate whether someone is qualified to drive on a Motorway or just A/urban roads?

Same way as a learner I'd say, L plates or something similar.

I know you could say they could just not have them on and drive about as they please, but same applies for normal learners anyway.

I lose count of how many drivers i come across claiming their L plates must have 'blown off'.

Best one I saw, 3rd lane of a motorway, on their own with L plates doing 60, swing across to the left hand lane across the front of 1 car and in to the side of the other. They were looking around wondering what was going on, when they were then approached pretended to be unconscious...

Usual one is when you pull a car over and get to the door only to find one occupant sat in the passenger seat.

Usual line- "it was my mate driving"

Who? the invisible man? :D

Bill the imaginary friend has had a license for 14 years, 0 points and is a very curtious driver :P

Well naturally imaginary bill has an imaginary license issued by the imaginary driving standards agency :P

We put a warrant out for his arrest but nobody can find him :P

Throw some imaginary chocolate into an imaginary trap, and job done!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club