Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Advanced Driving

.Ryan

Just wondered if anyone here has done any advanced driving/IAM type courses or qualifications, and what your views are on them?

I was looking into the IAM and noticed they do a Momentum course aimed at under 26's.

Apart from Pass Plus, I've done nothing since passing my test 3 years ago, would be quite interested in doing something else!

:)

spending all this money on driving courses, at the end of the day does it lower our insurance ?

i found alot of companys offer pass plus drivers..but at times they cost more then a company without it.

I'm Advanced Driver and Pursuit Trained but that's for the job, helps my insurance though.

spending all this money on driving courses, at the end of the day does it lower our insurance ?

i found alot of companys offer pass plus drivers..but at times they cost more then a company without it.

Was thinking for for the skills and experience really mate.

Pass plus here, but nothing else!

I would love to do some advanced driving courses, but the cost is more than a years insurance for some courses... if it would pay for itself several times over in insurance savings, I would give it a go, otherwise...

To be honest i once did pass plus but lost certificate so that never helped. For being in the job i do i can do my advanced driver and the skid car etc etc if i really wanted to. But like anything deep down does it help alot with insurance?

Is there a way i can find online if I've done pass plus? well i know i have but it is there a database or something at all?

You could give DVLA a shout.

Pass Plus is only counted for the first two or three years, after that its better hung on your wall, because its going to affect your insurance premiums as much hung on a wall as in the insurers database!

Is pass plus worth a go, not just for the insurance but as a general thing to do?

I've been driving my dads cars for years but this is the first time I've ever owned a car myself. I'm just wondering if it's worth a go..

Is pass plus worth a go, not just for the insurance but as a general thing to do?

I've been driving my dads cars for years but this is the first time I've ever owned a car myself. I'm just wondering if it's worth a go..

I would Jen, gave me some motorway and fast road experience, and gives you some more confidence to learn as you go :)

I have plenty of road, motorway, country and I've even drove on the other side of the road in America :) I fear I won't actually learn anything new but least I can say I've done it haha

to be honest, pass plus is only beneficial to you, once you have passed your test. It is designed to give the inexperienced motorist, the opportunity to get a vote of confidence with someone more qualified.

If you pass your test today, go get it, it helps, if not on your insurance, but in your day to day confidence... my mother has been driving a long time and still has no confidence on driving on motorways, it would benefit her, but for those like you (Jenny) who already have experience, it wouldnt be worth the cost.

If your petrified of motorways, and have been driving a while, do it as well, it might not touch your insurance premium but those who fear the road, are those most dangerous on it!

As people have said before, it's not going to do much for you experience-wise unless you're a new driver or a driver with unconquered fears.

For anybody else, you'll probably just be told off for all the bad habits you've amassed (i.e. not staying in 10 to 2 mode on the steering wheel, not engaging your handbrake and just sitting on the footbrake at lights, not passing the wheel from hand to hand whilst turning, etc), and told that your general driving abilities are fine.

It MIGHT bring your insurance down, but chance are it'll bring it down by an amount that'll see you having to way 2 to 3 years before the cost of the course is paid off. But might be worth it - only way to check is to phone up your insurance and ask them how much your premium would drop by if you had IAM certificate/Pass Plus, etc. Also get some quotes on comparison websites and see how the premiums change when you tick the box for other motoring qualifications.

If it's worth it, go for it, if it's not, just leave it.

Iv just gone through all sorts of drama with insurance ....but thats another story however i did say to every company i rang 'I have done my pass plus' and 4/5 of them said, oh ok that won't make any difference on your quote anyway.

Im 22, 2nd car, 1 Years NCD. . . Waste of time now in my eyes.

I won't do it for the experience as iv drove to Hungary and back - emotional. So i too have experienced all the pro's and con's but i reckon now its not worth it.

For first time insurance quote maybe but i basically got over looked when mentioned.

Was looking more at the IAM stuff, as I did the Pass Plus when I passed my test.

The IAM course is similar to the Police driving courses.

It's about anticipation and observation.

An example could be you're driving along a city street and you see a car parked at the kerb- is it occupied? Therefore is it going to pull out? What type of vehicle is it? Do the doors slide or swing normally? If they swing is somebody going to open them on you? If they slide will someone step out of the vehicle unexpectedly?

You read the road, expect the unexpected, and plan accordingly.

It's like a very involved, daily hazard perception test.

You learn to drive smoothly and confidently in all conditions and in a considerate and safe manner.

It also means I pay £250 insurance with £50 excess. Not bad in my view.

That's the kind of thing I fancy, you done that aswell as your ticket at work?

I have a IAM qualification and I'm pursuit trained for my job.

It means I can do pursuit and rapid response duties as the tasking requires.

Loads of courses but well worth them.

You obtained the IAM aside from work or as part of the training mate?

I did IAM off my own back but had 50% reimbursed to me.

The training is very useful IMO.

by the sounds of it I already drive to IAM standards, some call it paranoid, but I definately call it reading the roads...

I argued with my exam centre when I passed my test, they marked me down because I identified "too many hazards" or "clicked too many times" they couldnt really tell which, so I went through each test with them and talked them through the entire clip and explained each click I made, and why I made it. needless to say, my marks went up to 95% pass on the hazard perception because even though I passed, I still wanted all my points! :P

Thats the only thing I hate about the driving test, leaving a computer in charge of dictating logic!

Everything on the road is a potential hazard so that test is pretty pointless tbh.

I did IAM off my own back but had 50% reimbursed to me.

The training is very useful IMO.

yeah ive done iam also, as you say its all about anticipation and stuff some driving techniques like lowering gears and things for slowing down rather than driving 3 inches from the back of a white van that you cant see through :D how many times have you seen that ?.

to orignal question : i think its worth it , and helps on the old premiums too

I go by the theory its cheaper to replace brake pads than to slip the clutch, and since you slip every time you change... I use the gears if I am ever going fast enough and need to bring the speed down because I dont want to slam the brakes on, but for day to day, letting the foot off the gas, and just dabbing the brakes - works a treat for me...

Now, I am probably going to be invited to never join the IAM to do that test.... :P

I go by the theory its cheaper to replace brake pads than to slip the clutch, and since you slip every time you change... I use the gears if I am ever going fast enough and need to bring the speed down because I dont want to slam the brakes on, but for day to day, letting the foot off the gas, and just dabbing the brakes - works a treat for me...

Now, I am probably going to be invited to never join the IAM to do that test.... :P

rev match and you wont be slipping the clutch.

I beleive they also teach that on the advanced driving test?