Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Repeated Turbo Failure On 1.6 Tdci

Chrisjj

Hi

I have a 2006 1.6 tdci and in January my turbo failed. I had it replaced and it lasted for 800 miles then the new turbo failed. This has happen four times now. Each time I have taken it back to my local ford dealer. They have replaced it each time until now. They have told me that after talking to ford technical they will not replace it any more and they don't know what is wrong. The only option they gave me was to replace the engine at a cost of 6k

The sump and all the oil line have been changed and flushed

I have spoken to ford customer care and they said the only thing they can suggests is to replace the engine or have the current one stripped down but there is no guarantee if they will find out what's wrong, and due to the age of the car they will not contribute to any costs

As any one else come across this

Hi

I have a 2006 1.6 tdci and in January my turbo failed. I had it replaced and it lasted for 800 miles then the new turbo failed. This has happen four times now. Each time I have taken it back to my local ford dealer. They have replaced it each time until now. They have told me that after talking to ford technical they will not replace it any more and they don't know what is wrong. The only option they gave me was to replace the engine at a cost of 6k

The sump and all the oil line have been changed and flushed

I have spoken to ford customer care and they said the only thing they can suggests is to replace the engine or have the current one stripped down but there is no guarantee if they will find out what's wrong, and due to the age of the car they will not contribute to any costs

As any one else come across this

This seems to be a common problem on the 1.6tdci, all you need to do is google it and you will find many horror stories about exactly the same thing. From memory it is something to do with an internal injector seal giving way (cylinder 3 most common). This in turn then increases the temp of that part of the engine, when the oil flows past it, the extra heat starts to carbonise it, causing deposits to form, and in time these deposits clog the oil feed pipes to the turbo and starve it of oil, hence you get turbo failure. From what i've read in the past, Ford ARE aware of this problem, and were selling some sort of repair for the problem, including various parts, but it seemed expensive. Like I said this is from what I read a while back, and some details may be out a little, but this exact problem is the reason I opted for the 1.8tdci instead. Do some research on turbo failure for your particular car, and you will have a clearer picture of where you need to go from here.

Thanks for the reply

Your right there a few posts about it and it looks like there is not a lot a can

well for a start 6k for a new engine is insulting tbh they must think you're stupid :P

have they checked that the turbo is getting the correct oil pressure and flow of oil?

pretty strange that you have had 4 turbos fail tbh.

Yeah they said at first it was the oil flow but after number three it had a new sump and oil lines plus it was flushed out

• 3 weeks later...

I too have a 2006 1.6 TDCI with a failed turbo and I'm terrified that once I've forked out my hard earned money to get it fixed that It'll fail again in the near future and I'll have to dig deep into my pockets again :(

Any updates on this very common turbo failure from Ford anyone ?

Any info or links appreciated as I'll pass all the info on to my mechanic before he tackles the job.

Thanks in advance

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club