Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water in spark plug ports

w2575

Anyone else having problems with water in spark plug ports on focus mk2 2005> ?

Think its def someting to watch out for as i pulled all 4 HT leads other day to find rust stained water in all ports.

poss coming from washer pipes ?????

Anyone else having problems with water in spark plug ports on focus mk2 2005> ?

Think its def someting to watch out for as i pulled all 4 HT leads other day to find rust stained water in all ports.

poss coming from washer pipes ?????

Ah this old problem!! This is a known issue with the MK2, I had exactly the same with my old 2005 model I had and what the problem is , is the washer jets themselves, water leaks past them on the bonnet and straight down onto the plug area(particularly the driver side jet); if you take a look at your jets you will notice they are fitted directly onto the bonnet with no rubber seal between bonnet and jet, ford sell revised jets which have the rubber seal, I was horrified when I first saw this issue on mine, whenever it rained or I washed the car, there it was, water going into plug well !! anyway Mine was under warranty at the time, so got it in and they fitted the revised (with rubber seal) jets and hey presto, no more leaks!!

Hope that helps mate

Cheers Pete

Ah this old problem!! This is a known issue with the MK2, I had exactly the same with my old 2005 model I had and what the problem is , is the washer jets themselves, water leaks past them on the bonnet and straight down onto the plug area(particularly the driver side jet); if you take a look at your jets you will notice they are fitted directly onto the bonnet with no rubber seal between bonnet and jet, ford sell revised jets which have the rubber seal, I was horrified when I first saw this issue on mine, whenever it rained or I washed the car, there it was, water going into plug well !! anyway Mine was under warranty at the time, so got it in and they fitted the revised (with rubber seal) jets and hey presto, no more leaks!!

Hope that helps mate

Cheers Pete

hi ,it may also be the core plug leaking or temp sensor leaking have only seen it once and it made a right mess.

Paul

Hope that helps mate

Cheers Pete

I had to get the breakdown service out yesterday. He said it was the above problem. Have ford issued a recall for this fault. The area where the plugs are is a right mess. Would this benifit from a clean and new plugs??

cheers

I had to get the breakdown service out yesterday. He said it was the above problem. Have ford issued a recall for this fault. The area where the plugs are is a right mess. Would this benifit from a clean and new plugs??

cheers

Would certainly be a good idea to clean up and fit new plugs, as 'prevention is better than cure' as they say!! make sure you get all the water out of that area first before taking the plugs , so as to stop any water etc getting down into the head. As for recall, I believe it was only a TSB (Technical service Bulletin) which basically in the trade means 'in case of customer complaint' ..... However I really believe this should have been a recall, as it has been known for one of the plugs blow out of cylinder head due to excessive corrosion due to this problem and you can imagine, if you were say, on the outside lane of a busy motorway and that happened and then trying to get over to hard shoulder etc, need I say more!! Absolute disgrace on Fords part!!

Cheers Pete

Thanks all , it is the washer jets, mopped up all the water by sticking absorbent pads down ports with screwdriver and pulling out with pliers , worked a treat , also replaced plugs as precaution ! Jobs a good one !

I was in the ford garage on tuesday getting my fiesta serviced when a guy came in with your problem on his focus.Ford guy said it was the washer jets and it is a problem on some of the focuses.The fix is new plugs for deffo and maybe new washer pipes jets.I was in right place at right time so ime just passing on what i heard to you focus guys.

• 9 months later...
I was in the ford garage on tuesday getting my fiesta serviced when a guy came in with your problem on his focus.Ford guy said it was the washer jets and it is a problem on some of the focuses.The fix is new plugs for deffo and maybe new washer pipes jets.I was in right place at right time so ime just passing on what i heard to you focus guys.

Had same problem with water in plugs area, changed to new jets and still had them leaking. You dont really need to fit new jets to cure this problem all you need to do is put a small amount of clear silicone between bonnet and jets and also between jet and seat if fitted. Does the job and jets can still be removed if needed with not to much trouble.

interesting...would have gone straight for temp sensor...they been awful in pass for leaking into wells...nice find on the jets!! :)

well ive got this problem to sort on a 55 plate focus at some point. im just gonna try a small amount of silicon on the bottom of the jets and see how it goes. i was suprised that i actually managed to undo the plugs though, very rusty. no wonder the car is misfiring.

• 8 months later...

All,

I've got the same problem as well....... Had to get the AA out to it yesterday morning who (so called) fixed the problem...... The AA guy said that it was water from the engine, getting in through little holes in each spark plug port. :huh: Later yesterday afternoon the problem came back with a vengeance and I had to take it into my local Ford Dealer. Today I have been told that it is indeed the washer jets that leak down onto the core plugs and in turn, the spark plugs. I am now looking at new Core Plugs, Spark Plugs and new washer jets at the tidy sum of £300 plus!!!! Now I am car less for the forseeable future with no courtesy car and little hope of being able to hire one.

THAT IS OF COURSE......... Hoping that the Spark Plugs haven't seized into the cylinder Head in which case will involve more work (naturally) and a couple of grand to pay up for the privilage.

I cant believe FORD are aware of the problem and did nothing to sort the "dodgy" ones out - Its left to me (Mr Average - whos only had the car for 6 months) to Shell out for the repair?????

My Parents have a new shape focus - Cylinder Head guarded from water very nicely there, hey guys?!?!?!?!?

Fortunately I am on holiday this week but WN7 to M17 for 5am on Monday morning is not something I am looking forward to at all!!

THANKS FORD!!!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!!

Scorpio

Hey all, thats a nightmare.

Dose anyone know if this affects the MK1 Focus?

I have a Mk1 (facelift 04) I fitted new plugs and noticed evidance of water ie wates marks random rusty stains on top of the cam cover under the plug leads, I put it down to the fact I had carefully powerwashed the engine a couple of months befoer.

:unsure:

Hey all, thats a nightmare.

Dose anyone know if this affects the MK1 Focus?

I have a Mk1 (facelift 04) I fitted new plugs and noticed evidance of water ie wates marks random rusty stains on top of the cam cover under the plug leads, I put it down to the fact I had carefully powerwashed the engine a couple of months befoer.

:unsure:

only mk1s it doesnt effect is the 1.8 and 2.0 simply because the engine sits the opposite way around so the jets when they do drip go right down the back side of the engine it effects 1.6 and 1.4 mk1s.

never powerwash an engine no matter how careful you try to be not a good idea

hi all

you know what this is funny ive just had this problem !!.

car was misfiring so thought i do plug change..and what do i find spark plugs under water wow thanks ford.

now took an while to get all that water out but i did when to get plugs out 2 where jammed other two came out fine anyways got all four out in end without damage but boy was there some rubbish on them all above the plug seating was stained brown and caked in crap. it took me twice of refitting and removing plugs just to get them in unfouled. got them in newly recharged battery fired the 10th try.but i think i now need new leads as !Removed! thing still misfiring and rough/shundering idling.car only 5 weeks old so the thing going back to dealer tomarrow mostly likly as an return. 3 fords =3 lemons i do know how to pick the bad ones lol

gavin

• 4 months later...

I wish I had seen all this before I had spent so much time trying to suss out where there damnable rain water was getting in. After much grief from my local ford garage who thought I had leaking core plugs and then told me I would need a new cylinder head, £2000 if you do not mind, I was dumfounded with them and got a second opinion who rubbished them and proved them wrong. However rain water is still getting into the spark plug wells, for the life of me I thought the rain was blowing in under the bonnet, how clever was it to put the spark plugs so open to this!

Anyway having done a quick search on the web here i am and now off to my local friendly garage to ask for a fix to this.........

thank you very much in advance!!

quote name='braindead' timestamp='1285789958' post='99197']

hi all

you know what this is funny ive just had this problem !!.

car was misfiring so thought i do plug change..and what do i find spark plugs under water wow thanks ford.

now took an while to get all that water out but i did when to get plugs out 2 where jammed other two came out fine anyways got all four out in end without damage but boy was there some rubbish on them all above the plug seating was stained brown and caked in crap. it took me twice of refitting and removing plugs just to get them in unfouled. got them in newly recharged battery fired the 10th try.but i think i now need new leads as !Removed! thing still misfiring and rough/shundering idling.car only 5 weeks old so the thing going back to dealer tomarrow mostly likly as an return. 3 fords =3 lemons i do know how to pick the bad ones lol

gavin

• 1 year later...

had same prob on saturday 2nd of june 2012 i was driving back from leicester to kent i had same problem it was hammering down with rain and engine light was flashing so pulled over and had a look pulls spark plug boot up and there was about an inch of water in well to my horror i rang RAC and as didnt have cover was quoted £280 to tow me home so i decided againt that and drove the last 76 miles home in limp mode not doing more the 60 mph so today i took it to ford and thay said it was misfireing because the water so was quoted £286 to change plugs leads and coil pack so i refused to pay that as warrany run out only 4 weeks ago. in the end i coughed up £7.46 for new washer jets as thay were the cause of promlem over time. and payed £18 to have water pumped out so went to local motor factors and got coil pack leads and spark plugs for £77.50 alot less then ford wanted i fitted them started car and misfire was gone and engine light went out. fingers crossed this is the end of problem as car only has 40.000 miles on clock and before this never went wrong in the last 14 moths of owning it and 16.000 miles next job self service as ford want £210 what a joke...

What do you expect from Ford? they always charge more for jobs than anywhere else.

not true ford have been cheaper than many others for me. i wouldnt have paid ford know the issue and have done for years. it should be stated to dealers to check them and change

• 11 months later...

I had just the same problem and found the easiest way to get the water out was to use one of my wifes hand cream pump bottles I just took out the pump gave it a good clean popped the tube into the spark plug whole and pumped the water out

hope this helps anyone who has the same problem and im guessing there may be many :)

• Like 1

Im fearing this problem, viewed a focus the other today and picking it up this Saturday, there was water sat on the engine. How much are we looking at for ford to fit new washer jets? If that is the problem?

You can do them yourself, its a fairly easy fix. It's just Ford recently upped the price when they realised that this was the fix. Old price was about a fiver for both jets, now its nearer £20.

You'll need two of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ford-Focus-Mk3-2011-On-Heated-Front-Washer-Jet-/120791361144?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c1fb9e678

Or if you don't have heated washer jets you can save a bit of money and get the non-heated versions.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys iv just had the same problem but wasnt the jets their are two core plugs in between the spark plugs i removed the rocker cover and soaked all the water up with the old lady products the find it was orange as it is coolant had a little scratch at the core plugs put it back together ran the car for two mins checked through the holes to the spark plugs the find the core plugs seeping coolant picked two new ones up from ford for £3 tuck the rocker cover back off drained the coolant knocked the old core plugs out then using a socket inserted into the new core plugsand a bit of sealant started tapping the new ones in ensuring the stayed level and just sat a mil or two below flush and after replacing coolant ran the car up to temp and since then not a drop of water in the plugs

rotten core plugs are usually caused by leaky washer jets letting the water in in the first place otherwise the core plugs shouldnt need touched might be worth checking after the rain just to be sure

O so the leaky jets are rotting the plugs from the out side enough said will keep an eye on it cheers