Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please can someone help?

Clare

Hello

I'm new on here but I'm really hoping someone can help with my query.

I put my Ford Focus in for MOT last saturday and was told I needed front R/H brake caliper and both sets of disks and pads replaced. I had this done and then on Wednesday morning I had the traction control, ABS and hand brake lights illuminated on my dash.

I took it back to the garage who ran a diagnostic check and said the front ABS sensor had gone and that it was nothing to do with the work they had done as it was no where near where they worked!

I've booked it in for today at 4pm and I have since checked out the location of the sensor and understand it's on the front wheel and that to change my brakes they would have had to remove the wheels.

Am I being really stupid or could they have affected the ABS sensor??

The warning lights weren't on last night but this morning they are back.

Please can you help, as Idon't want to be a pathetic woman and get fobbed off and have to pay the extra £120 they want to replace it but I also don't want to go shouting the odds if I'm not fully aware of what I'm saying

Thank you

Clare

I would say its their word against yours I'm afraid. Theres a chance they could have damaged it when doing the work as its right in front of the brake disc. As far as I can see theres a sensor for each wheel.

I would say its their word against yours I'm afraid. Theres a chance they could have damaged it when doing the work as its right in front of the brake disc. As far as I can see theres a sensor for each wheel.

Hi

Thanks for responding.

i've just got back from the garage and as the warning lights were not on on the drive over, I told the guy i wasn't convinced it needed replacing. He just shrugged and said he could send the part back but it was my choice and there obviously was a fault. I tried to discuss the possibility that it could be the extreme weather conditions on the new brakes and he just shrugged again!! So I said I'd leave it and walked away.

I'm certainly not handing over £120 to someone like that!!

Sorry I realise I'm ranting as I type.

I spoke to my Dad a little while ago and he is thinking maybe it just that the pads and disks etc have not bedded in fully yet and it should be ok when they do.

Does that sound plausible??

Hi

Thanks for responding.

i've just got back from the garage and as the warning lights were not on on the drive over, I told the guy i wasn't convinced it needed replacing. He just shrugged and said he could send the part back but it was my choice and there obviously was a fault. I tried to discuss the possibility that it could be the extreme weather conditions on the new brakes and he just shrugged again!! So I said I'd leave it and walked away.

I'm certainly not handing over £120 to someone like that!!

Sorry I realise I'm ranting as I type.

I spoke to my Dad a little while ago and he is thinking maybe it just that the pads and disks etc have not bedded in fully yet and it should be ok when they do.

Does that sound plausible??

Your Dad sounds right and I think it is better to avoid this garage in future. If they didn't bug it up, they certainly wanted you to pay for something not broken. If they did - they let you go with something they know for sure is broken. I would not show up myself there anymore.

Take care

i would check the reluctor ring on the driveshaft, possible its been damged

theres a cable that runs down from the engine bay to the abs sensor at the back of the wheel if these become unclipped when changing tyres it makes the sensor lights flash intermintetly dont know if this is your problem but checking to make sure there clipped in saves a lot of time and money.

Thank you all for your advise and replies.

I'm going to see how things are over the next couple of days and if it still looks like a problem a friend has recommended a mechanic who works by himself and is apparently very trustworthy.

xx

This garage sounds like a cowboy setup. It throws the caliper/discs/pads thing into question too. You should probably name and shame them for trying to get you to have work done that didn't need doing.

A garage once tried fitting me up for £170 worth of repairs that I didn't need - Motosave in Mexborough, S Yorks. Was around 1999.

I had some new brake pads put in, which were rattling about in the calipers as I drove. They also said both calipers were leaking brake fluid, so I booked it in to have them changed at a cost of £170.

Meanwhile I went to another garage for a second opinion. He told me that the calipers didn't need changing - just the rubber seals and he could sort it for under £50. He also pointed out that the brake pads were the wrong size! So I went back to Motosave to quiz them about it, and they accused the other garage of tampering with the pads, and that's what caused them to move. Even though they were rattling as I drove away from Motosave the first time!

I don't like people trying to rip me off - the manager was determined they'd done a good job, and I ended up threatening to bash his face in if he didn't put it right. He said "do it if it'll make you feel better". Anyway I was just winding up to give his face a sound thrashing and was told by my brother (Sy99) to wait outside. The upshot is, they put their "handywork" right and I've never been to them for servicing from that day to this.

Maybe this forum should have a "name and shame" section for crap garages?