Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic Headlight Sensor

Haz93

Okay so does anyone know where the sensor is located, or can get any pictures / part numbers for it

Would also help if anyone has a wiring diagram.

The plan is to fit the sensor, believe it just plugs into the loom then fit the auto light switch and hope it works :S

Auto Headlight and Windscreen wiper sensors are built into the rear view mirror.

• 1 month later...

the sensor for the auto headlights/wipers is mounted onto the windscreen behind the cowling for the rear view mirror not on the mirror its self this will require a new windscreen if you are doing this mod as there is a mounting bracket on the screen that the sensor sits into you would also need a new rear veiw mirror as this also has a different fitment to the screen

Got it fitted now :)

Didn't need a new windscreen, the sensor I brought from eBay came with the windscreen mount. Just used some locktight windscreen glue to attach it

• 1 month later...

Got it fitted now smile.png

Didn't need a new windscreen, the sensor I brought from eBay came with the windscreen mount. Just used some locktight windscreen glue to attach it

Which sensor did you buy on eBay? I'm thinking of doing auto headlights/wipers to my car but need to get a list of parts together.

You will need a light and rain sensor like this one :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-MK5-Rain-Sensor-2002-2008-3S7T-17D547-AB-/180846468028?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a1b4a1bbc

$(KGrHqV,!rYE88g6(LOVBP,GtPMvt!~~60_12.JPG

Also the auto dimming rear view mirror too if you want to be able to hide all the wiring

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-ST220-MK3-2003-2007-auto-dimming-rear-view-mirror-/110947152478?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19d4f7325e

$(KGrHqF,!ncE-)u!kK6oBPz107qnPQ~~60_12.JPG

Doesn't matter if its from a Focus 05-11 or Mondeo 04 - 11 maybe a Fiesta too.

As you can see the mirror mounting is different to the standard mirror. I got around this by unscrewing the metal plate in the auto dimming mirror mount and filing a grove in the two side prongs you can see in the picture. this will then allow the mirror to slide onto the standard mounting.

You will also need to be able to edit the GEM module, using the Guide by Preee and the ELM cable. Or pay a ford garage to do it (£75 an hour) average.

And lastly if you want the Auto lights to work you will need the auto light switch

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-2010-FORD-FOCUS-MK3-MK4-LIGHT-SWITCH-AUTO-/280733537630?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415d05d55e

$(KGrHqR,!iQE5fk!2tM2BOYKHCBY4!~~60_12.JPG

I will do a guide when I get the time.

Things like this make me glad I got a ghia ;)

I will do a guide when I get the time.

Mate, if you could do a guide, that would be awesome. It would really help. Will this activate auto wipers too? Where does the wiring come from?

Yeah I will get some pics and things together on the weekend and hopefully do a guide for next week.

The wiring should be there already. if you remove the interior light unit and unscrew the plastic bit around it, this comes off (can be hard to get back on as it clips into the metal bracket above) you should then be able to see the wiring loom for the interior light, and off this loom there should be a small loom taped to the headlining between this hole and the windscreen. on that small loom there will be two plugs ( both have 3 wires going to them) one for the auto dimming mirror (white plug) and the other for the sensor (black plug).

When I first saw it i thought there's no way just three wires is enough for light and rain sensor, but then it came to me that there is on positive one negative and one is a data cable that communicates with the GEM module (I'm not an electronic genius haha)

Yeah I will get some pics and things together on the weekend and hopefully do a guide for next week.

That would be awesome mate. What about the auto wipers? How do they work?

Basically you know when you turn the wipers on to the intermittent setting with the adjustable speed, that is the auto setting when you have the sensor installed. The speed wheel is then used for the sensitivity of the sensor.

The wipers then will come on intermittent in light rain, slow on in medium rain and then fast on with heavy rain.

So basically, I buy the bits and, if I have the wiring, it's just plug and play?

I already have the modified ELM cable.

edit: just checked and I have the 2 plugs in the headlining

1 more question, if I have auto lights, when I unlock/lock the car, do the headlights come on if it's dark?

1 more question, if I have auto lights, when I unlock/lock the car, do the headlights come on if it's dark?

Ignition needs to be on then in low light the headlights come on, just unlocking the car will not turn the lights on.

No they wont. But you do have guide me home lights. When you switch everything off (leaving the lights set to auto), pull back the full beam switch once. The headlights will stay on for 30 seconds before shutting themselves down. Handy if you parked up in an unlit area.

Ignition needs to be on then in low light the headlights come on, just unlocking the car will not turn the lights on.

No they wont. But you do have guide me home lights. When you switch everything off (leaving the lights set to auto), pull back the full beam switch once. The headlights will stay on for 30 seconds before shutting themselves down. Handy if you parked up in an unlit area.

Cheers guys, that would have been a nice feature to have.

Rear view dimming mirror has been mounted and works fine and auto light switch has been installed. Just waiting for the mount for the rain and light sensor to arrive and I will fit it later today (hopefully).

Hi mate, sorry have not had much time to work on the guide. How did you mount the mirror, with the different mountings? Also just found out that my sensor mount is coming off the windscreen!!! I used the Halfords locktite glue, which has not lasted very well.

I have read up abit and it seems windscreen repair places have a very strong glass glue which if you can get to one like autoglass etc.. They will charge about £10 to glue the sensor mount on

I filed down the inside edges of the 2 bits that stick out on the sides of the mirror mount and then just slid it on. Haven't received my sensor mount but have activated lights and wipers using the ELM cable and just tested it. All works as it should. Might go to Autoglass when my sensor mount arrives.

Just bought some window tint from here that I will be putting onto my front windscreen under the rear view mirror to give it an oem look like this:

post-36281-0-76682600-1349433349_thumb.j

I was thinking of doing this, but the oem 'tint' is actually inbetween the layers of glass, so you will still see the mount and glue holding it on.

I think using black vinyl wrap instead of tint might work better too as it requires no water to apply, just heat. Also get no bubbles either.

Can you put a photo of yours up from the outside looking in?

How about using some flyeye film to replicate the patterned area?

The window tint I ordered on Friday arrived so I cut it to size and stuck it to the screen. Think it looks okay, covers the insides up pretty well.

Before: post-36281-0-24023700-1349703001_thumb.j

After: post-36281-0-46609800-1349703020_thumb.j

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club