Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Feels Jerky/less Stable At Low Speed After Tyre Change

jg321

Hi all,

Very happy with my Focus after just over a year of owning it... but, a few months ago the front passenger side tyre needed changing as it was down to the markers. So had this changed, to the same type as the drivers side. It looked like it was a nightmare to get off, due to the 'bonding' issue that I've read about, and the guy had to whack the old tyre a lot with a rubber mallet to loosen the wheel.

Ever since this tyre change, the car feels strange at low speed. It's difficult to describe, other than it's less 'tight' than before, and feels a little more jerky/unstable. It seems fine at higher speeds, although that's probably as I'm not turning as much as I would be in a car park etc.

I had the tyres rotated a few weeks after this, and the wheels balanced. The car still feels the same however. I realise a lot of this is very subjective, but it certainly doesn't feel the same as before. The feeling is more pronounced in 'Sport' steering mode than it is in 'Standard', not tried 'Comfort' yet.

The tracking seems fine, in so far as it goes in a straight line when going down the motorway etc.

Any ideas anyone? It's nothing serious but I can't seem to get it out of my mind, notice it every time I drive the car!

Cheers,

JG

i have the same problem i think, that the steering feels kinda wonkey sometimes, and is not tight on around town driving...... all steering componants tight, bushes good, front tyres do need replacing in next 1000m or so, i just put it down to the electrical power steering, could be wrong tho

So it's not just me, then!! ;)

OK, so I put it in 'Comfort' mode today, and the issue I've described is much less noticeable. Basically, when it's in 'Sport' steering mode, rather than feeling stiff and tight like it did before, it feels jerky. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys,

JG

check the tyre pressures mate match them up, alot of tyre places will just wack them to about 28 psi wich is way off for most cars.

personally ive always changed the tyres in pairs.

and make sure you havnt got a slight leak on one so go fill the tyres up then go check them again after 30 minute drive :)

Good plan with the pressures, I generally keep them pretty well maintained in that regard but worth double checking as you say.

I also prefer to replace in pairs, but it came with a recently replaced drivers side tyre and the original passenger side, so seemed silly to replace the drivers side. I have swapped this pair to the back though now, so the original, even backs are now on the front.

Will report back after checking the pressures. In the meantime if anyone has any other ideas please shout up!

JG

If the feeling changes with the steering setup I'd get the power steering motor/hydraulics checked.

• 1 month later...

Finally got to the bottom of this so thought I'd post back. It *was* the tyre pressures but not as you'd think. Basically with the recommended 33PSI in the fronts it felt not very good to me. The only way to describe it is jerky at slow speeds and less tight, as I said before.

Dropped the fronts to 30PSI after reading a thread over at the Honest John forums and it's back to how it used to be. Feels sooo much better in my opinion, like it's much more stuck to the road. Didn't do my old tyres and damage either so can't see it causing a problem this time.

I'm so so pleased. Love this car so much but this little issue was bugging me. Can't believe the difference a few PSI makes.

Could it be that when your tyre guy was smacking the living hell out of the tyre he's damaged something???

Could it be that when your tyre guy was smacking the living hell out of the tyre he's damaged something???

Thought that myself, but think I just got used to it at 30PSI! Did a quick google and apparently it's pretty common for them to get stuck on (not just on Foci) and also pretty common to whack the !Removed! out of it with a rubber mallet. Either that or a timber from the other side!!

my door panel has tyre pressures on it 30psi front 33psi rear ford stated to me fronts with just 1 or 2 passengers they find 28 to 30 psi front 31 to 32 psi rear thats for a petrol it states 33 front and rear for a diesel again they prefer 31psi front 31to 33 rear depending on the load

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club