Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drivers Door Electrical Issues.

james132

My misses has had her 2001 ka for a year now and its not really missed a beat.

Over a period of proberbly a few months the electric windows (mainly drivers side) got slower and slower, then eventually stopped working all together, the passenger side has now done the same.

Also on the drivers side (I dont know if these issues may be related??) the speaker has stopped working, so too has the boot release button.

Im no expert at electrical stuff, so ideas would be appreciated. Could it be a dodgey connection in the drivers door?

Thanks

Check the loom where it goes into the doors. On older cars the wireing can split and short with all the opening and closing.

as above.

it seems that car manufacturers still haven't got this right yet, the Vauxhall Astra H are bad for this on the rear doors...

Had a quick play whilst on a short drive with her today. The passenger side window works, but sometimes you have to press the button several times for it to go up/down. This kinda makes me think the same as above, as if it was shorting, whilst driving along it could be jolting about allowing it to short then not, am I right in thinking that would cause it to work/not work on and off?

I havnt had a chance today to check the loom as its not stopped raining!

Yep, intermittent fault usually points to the hinge wiring.

The switch may be corroded too, may be worth popping it out and checking first.

could be an earth issue with the door.

Had a play, managed to get the passenger side working fine again (re insulated one of the wires that had cracked)

On the drivers side one of the wires had prety much completley snapped, and the ends were very corroded. (Black wire... Earth? From what I could figure it came from the elec window switch)

Anyway, I spliced a new bit of wire in and still no luck, Could it just be the motor? If so is there any way of confirming this?

Cheers

+1

Check voltage is getting to and from the motor.

If power is ok then would seem to be a blown solenoid in the motor.

Replacement likely.

Can get hold of one thats not a problem.

Another thaught though, you cant operate the passenger side window with the switch thats on the drivers door... however it works when using the one on the passenger door.

Sounds like another damaged wire in the same place.