Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Number Of Error Codes!!

Mad85

Ok, I had my 2007 Focus 1.6TDCI scanned on a Wurth WOW! scanner since its lacking power and using a lot of fuel (37mpg!!!). I had also smelt a burning smell from under the bonnet sometime ago, but that is not happening any more. There are also no lights coming on the dashboard. I had also used half a bottle of Forte Diesel Injector cleaner. The only difference that it made was that it made the engine run with a bit of tapping noise from the injectors when idling for a week or so!

The following error codes came out:

U1900 (Power Assisted Steering communication bus fault).

P0234 (Turbo Overboost Condition)

P0341 (Camshaft Position Sensor A)

P1603 (EEPROM Data Corrupted)

P2458 (DPF Regeneration Duration)

How should I tackle these errors? Should I have them cleared and then check after a while if they reappear? If possible I would like to avoid taking it to the local Ford dealer since their reputation is very poor!

cheers

Mark

they look like they are all linked to the additive you put in (probably too much or too often), personally i dont recomend any of the stuff but for interests sake wich one did you use ?.

if you wanna clean out your engine fill up with bp ultimate or Shell v power a couple of times , will do far more than any shop bought stuff.

just one of the codes so you can see what i mean :

Possible causes of OBD code P0234

- Brake torque (brake on and throttle at wide open). - Transmission oil temperature (TOT) exceeds calibrated threshold. - Engine over temperature. - Ignition misfire exceeds the calibrated threshold. - Knock sensor (KS) failure

if its running ok now you should be fine , as you say reset it drive for a while then re-check it, if its still showing any codes post em up.

hi, thanks for the reply. I have used Forte Diesel Injector cleaner since I have read a lot of good things about it. I followed the instructions and put 100ml with a tank of diesel (approx 50liters, right?). Now it sounds to be running ok, although quite low on power. Also I get the impression that sometimes the turbo does not kick in - does this make sense? Engine has done 88k miles btw. Last oil change happened about 2000miles ago. I used Total 5w30 full synthetic, low sap, for diesels with dpf.

well if its still running with lack of performance, you need to go get it looked at as the other error codes suggest camshaft sensor / missfire etc needs to be profesionaly diagnosed could be anything from fuel pressure (injectors), turbo, camshaft etc.

I'm not entirely sure, however, if the EEPROM data is corrupted, I would imagine this is concerned with the ECU. Also, the bus error would point to the ECU. Just a thought! EEPROM is the electrically erasable programmable memory, which may refer to the ECU memory and may have to be re-programmed with the original values.

I deleted the error codes so that I can check if they will reappear. Something which I had not mentioned was that I had replaced the battery and had also replaced the MAF sensor, which MIGHT have triggered some of those errors! well i hope at least! Anyway, I will go back to my mechanic to have rescanned in a couple of weeks to see if any error codes reappear. About the eeprom i thought that the corrupted data must be that of the error codes themselves not the main data which the ecu uses to run the car... pretty sure not even a bulb would come on if that got corrupted hehe!

I deleted the error codes so that I can check if they will reappear. Something which I had not mentioned was that I had replaced the battery and had also replaced the MAF sensor, which MIGHT have triggered some of those errors! well i hope at least! Anyway, I will go back to my mechanic to have rescanned in a couple of weeks to see if any error codes reappear. About the eeprom i thought that the corrupted data must be that of the error codes themselves not the main data which the ecu uses to run the car... pretty sure not even a bulb would come on if that got corrupted hehe!

it could also be the type of diagnostic equipment used some cause similair errors, especially the cheap generic ones

well the diagnostic tool surely wasnt cheap - its a Wurth one so I think it should be ok, although I dont know if other cheaper ones were tried on ti since i bought it second hand.

Also yesterday, I decided to inspect the turbo so I pulled out the inlet hosing (from the air filter) and check inside. There was a bit of oil inside the hose pipe but didnt look too serious (although i have no experience with turbo diesels, at all!) The impellor itself did look clean but I couldnt get my fingers to the impellor to check for play. I then used a piece of plastic to try to rotate the impellor and it did feel very smooth.

Temperatures where I live a going up to 35-40degrees celcius so i am using a/c all the time and I mainly drive around town, although i dont encounter too much traffic. Do you think with these conditions 37-40mpg is about right for this car?

I am still concerned about the lack of power/turbo boost though - its not dead slow but its not as sweet as it used to feel!

I will probably end up taking it to the local Ford dealer and pray they come up with an accurate diagnosis, and that they dont mess up my car!

oil in the turbo inlet is normal for these cars i'm afraid, it gets pushed up the breather tube, and into the air intake. Just wipe/ignore. You would think they'd have some sort of filter in the pipe to stop it, I guess if there was one it would just clog up and cause worse problems. In some cases the turbo can cause a blow-back which causes the oil to foul up the airflow sensor, but you'd be getting black smoke and poor running. Ford can do a fix if that occurs.

As for all the fault codes... one other possibility is a wiring loom fault in the engine bay, if a couple of sensor wires have chafed (perhaps around the gearbox area) then you'll get all manner of fault codes along with poor diving. Just a thought.

Another thought... what mileage are you on? Have you had the DPF additive replaced at 37500 miles? Or the DPF changed at 75000? Could lots of short town journeys where you don't get the engine hot could have lead to the DPF clogging / needing regeneration?

hey, grahamp - thanks for the reply. The DPF is at the top of my "to remove list" lol to be honest! I bought the car with 82000miles, now its got 89k. I am not sure exactly what was changed before but I have the impression the previous owner serviced this focus well. For example I asked my mechanic to top up the dpf fluid but found that it was already full. I also noted the seal of injector #3 is cleaner than the others.

Most of my journeyt take maximum of 30min and reach a maximum of 40-50mph but only for a few moments since there is only a couple of roads where i can do that, the rest are littered with extremely slow drivers, speed cameras, single lanes and roundabouts.. :'(

Well I've no idea really, sorry. Any paperwork from the last couple of years, they should show a DPF change? I'm not fully up on it as I avoided a car with DPF, but Ford strongly advise a change at 75k. But well, it could be anything I guess!

hi, I noticed yesterday evening that when I turn off the key, the engine keeps idling normally, until I take my foot off the brake. Only thing I did recently was the deletion of the error codes? Any idea what this indicates to? I tried to disconnect the battery and left it over night but it still did it this morning...CONFUUUUUUSED!!! :(

just a little update i finally figured out what the problem was - it was due to an led light I put on as tail light. everytime the light was on and had my foot on the brake, the engine wont die out when i turn the key off!! probably a short in the led light!!

:mellow: Just as well I'm not a motor mechanic then !

great! :) anyway, still have the big problem which is lack of power (boost?) and high fuel economy though! :( Also, I got the impression that steering is a bit heavier lately.. could it be the aux belt coming close to needing replacement ?

Gave up and took it to the local ford dealer... anyway they said they have not found anything wrong with it... not sure if I should believe them though cause apparently they based their result on an emissions test (MOT)rather than connecting to a computer. they also did not take it out for a test drive!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club