Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeal On Startup

gc88

Hey all,

As far as i remember, my car makes a horrible noise on startup - only from cold though (and raining if its been still for a while)

It sounds like its coming from one of the belts on the left as you look at the engine (video attached although its short crap quality and windy)

th_VIDEO0019.jpg

It's a 2.0i Duratec engine all serviced and looked after etc.

I'm not overly worried (should i be?) as its been doing it for 1.5 years +

Is there a way to fix it easily? What do i need to be checking to see whats at fault?

(Haynes manual is in the post)

Fanx guys + gals

gc

sounds like a fan belt, if not squirt a little penetrating fluid on the back of the pullies then see if the noise stops. if not then possible water pump issues.......

sounds like a fan belt, if not squirt a little penetrating fluid on the back of the pullies then see if the noise stops. if not then possible water pump issues.......

Hello, that means nothing to me!

Back of the pullys as in the outside of the pullys where the teeth are?

And penetrating fluid = wd40?

I should add the squealing lasts about a minute at the most, and is like a..

squeek________squeek_______squeek_______squeek____ type noise which is every second or so - no constant!

I'll try and film it in the morning :)

I should add the squealing lasts about a minute at the most, and is like a..

squeek________squeek_______squeek_______squeek____ type noise which is every second or so - no constant!

I'll try and film it in the morning :)

Like this noise:

anyone got any input on the soap method shown in that video?

if it was fan belt in sure the squeeck would be constant, mayb pullies/tensioners etc.....

My accessory belt doesn't squeak as such, but it's more like a tssh tssh tssh noise, if you know what I mean. It's a 1.6 TDCi just coming upto 30K, it's done it as long as I've owned it, some times more noticeable than others. Local Ford dealer said don't worry about it; hasn't caused me a problem so far.

Not saying yours is the same; just saying!

Thanks for he help so far!

I've had a better look today, it seems all in alignment, no visible slipping, only happens when its been raining / been sat still for about 5 hours when its cold.

I did notice, however, the side of the engine block which the pulleys etc are attahed too is filthy - with like sticky oil.

There's not loads, it has never left any patches even when sat for a week and its not in runs, its like a smooth covering.

Does this seem normal?

mine has the same, even on the sump pan.... just as long as its not fresh and no signs of fresh anywhere i'd say it was ok, mayb had a leak/cloged pipe somewhere in the past and has being fixed... mine is a 08 plate with just turned 64k.....

AWESOME. thanks.

Mines 27k and 3 years. Would be interesting to see if everyone's is the same!

agreed lol.. there is so much on a turbo engine i didnt even realise. never owned a diesel before so this is all new to me, learning somat new every day.... at least can say 100% deffo arnold clarke are w***ers lmao.... car going bk for the 5th time on fiday in 4 weeks

Well yesterday i put her talc powder on my auxbelt.

Coldstart today was wonderful with no issues. I assume it was because of the amount of oil / grease on the belt!

i had the same problem lasted only 5 min from cold.Normally in cold or wet weather.I sprayed a little bit of wd40 on the belts when car running and noise stoped.Took it to fords and they changed belts for £45 customer goodwill.I put up a fight because the car was only 18 months old and had 18000 miles and should have lasted 125000 miles.This was about 6 months ago and had no problems since.Personally i think it was the air con belt making the noise[they r a stretchy belt]...............dont leave the belts for long once u apply wd40 as the belts will slip and could cause p.a.s pump;water pump etc not to work properly ......mines a 1.8 petrol.let us know how u get on

talc powder will be causing belts to slip .exactly opposite to what u want to be happening

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club