Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Fluid Leak

djTimBo

Recently I have been needing to top up my brake/clutch fluid on my Focus 53 plate, at least every 4 months from Min to Max. I'm guessing I've got a slow leak somewhere, but I can't find out where. I took it to a garage, and the mechanic said he thought it was the clutch because the brakes looked ok, so he changed the clutch but I still had to top up 4 months later.

I'm pretty sure the brake fluid has air in it now aswell because the brakes feel really spongy and rubbish. I'm not really sure where I should be looking for a leak because it could either be the brakes or the clutch I suppose.

Can anyone give some guidance on where to start? Will I most likely have to take it to another garage?

Recently I have been needing to top up my brake/clutch fluid on my Focus 53 plate, at least every 4 months from Min to Max. I'm guessing I've got a slow leak somewhere, but I can't find out where. I took it to a garage, and the mechanic said he thought it was the clutch because the brakes looked ok, so he changed the clutch but I still had to top up 4 months later.

I'm pretty sure the brake fluid has air in it now aswell because the brakes feel really spongy and rubbish. I'm not really sure where I should be looking for a leak because it could either be the brakes or the clutch I suppose.

Can anyone give some guidance on where to start? Will I most likely have to take it to another garage?

i would check the clutch master cylinder, its the one attached to the clutch pedal, have a good look make sure nothing appears to be 'wet'

i would check the clutch master cylinder, its the one attached to the clutch pedal, have a good look make sure nothing appears to be 'wet'

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I checked my pedals, and there's no sign of any fluid there. I was told to check my brake master cylinder but I'm not exactly sure where it is in the engine bay if I'm honest. Also, Isn't the brake master cylinder sealed making it unlikely I will notice a leak?

I'm going to take my drums when I get a spare minute to see if there's any fluid inside there (is that even possible?)

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I checked my pedals, and there's no sign of any fluid there. I was told to check my brake master cylinder but I'm not exactly sure where it is in the engine bay if I'm honest. Also, Isn't the brake master cylinder sealed making it unlikely I will notice a leak?

I'm going to take my drums when I get a spare minute to see if there's any fluid inside there (is that even possible?)

its possible the master cylinder is leaking, its at the driver side of the engine bay right at the very back. if your unsure what it looks like, try follow the pipe from the resevoir to it. its not too hard to spot.

It is also very possible that one of the cylinders are leaking inside the drums too.

also check all the bleed nipples too, possible it could be leaking from them.

the spongy feeling sounds like it could definetly be air in the system either that or there is fluid on the brake shoe faces

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club