Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine System Fault

Stoney871

I have just had an engine system fault message come up on my screen which can be reset to show the normal information and a permanent red light.

I tried leaving the car off for 10 minutes but the warning came back on as soon as the ignition was turned on again.

I tried a dash diagnostic and only came up with DTC#01 9601 (PATS Received Incorrect KeyCode from Ignition Key Transponder) but i'm pretty sure that relates to when my flip key was first installed on the car.

The car runs with no signs of limp mode or any other symptoms so i'm at a loss as to what this problem can be caused by.

I'm hoping it's just a sensor reading out of range.

Any tips will be welcome.

It would be worth buying yourself one of those £20 code readers from eBay Clive. The light came on on the missus SportKA the other week. My code reader said it was the Cat below threshold Bank 1. I cleared the code, took the car for a bit of a thrash and it hasn't come back on since. It was probably just a blip.

You're not having a good week Stoney, first the nasty policeman zaps you with his Radar Gun then you get a red warning light come up on the dashboard; if I were you, next time you come across some toe-rag misbehaving, let the dog have a chunk out of his leg, it'll make you feel much better. ;)

In threes huh?

I've booked toe car in for a physical tomorrow hopefully it's just a sensor or a filter.

Even though it's a red light I've noticed no physical symptoms.

Tried an ECU reset earlier but the fault warning persists.

As far as I'm aware though a red light means do not drive except to garage (which is only one street over from me anyway).

Hopefully it will stay at 2 and not progress to 3, it won't as I'm not superstitious. <_< But I have got my fingers crossed for you, :P

Update on situation, jumped in the car just now to drop it off for the fault diagnosis and the code popped up again as i expected it to.

I had just driven half way up the road when i noticed the warning and light had gone, &#33;Removed&#33; typical.

I took the car for an italian tune and it's still running fine with no return of the fault warning.

Anyway, i knew the car was due a full service so dropped it off and asked for that instead.

Garage is going to give me a shout later and will also will do a diagnostic on it at the same time just to be sure.

Results and conclusions to follow.

See what crossed fingers did for you, down from 2 to 1, it does work then! :P

See what crossed fingers did for you, down from 2 to 1, it does work then! :P

happy0025.gif

How did the service go? Two weeks ago I had a full service inc brake fluid change and MOT at a cost of £261 using my local independent garage, how does that compare to the cost of your service?

The service was 199.66 inclusive of all Ford approved air\fuel\pollen filters, oil and brake fluid.

They even topped up my washer bottle, topped off the tyres and checked my bulbs.

They read my fault code as low fuel pressure and cleared it and just typical the message has popped up again this morning.

I reckon personally it's dirty or failing injectors so i'm giving the system a shot of Wynns cleaner over the weekend and will go from there.

Thanks for the info, taking off the £54 for my MOT it looks like servicing costs here in the south are very similar, I wouldn't be surprised if servicing got cheaper the further north you went. Sods law that your red light has reappeared.

I'll wait and see what the Wynns does.

Hopefully it's just crudded up injectors, if not then a Delphi engineer may be getting a booking.

Turning out costly for the car this month, 2 new tyres going on the front on saturday as they're to the limit, decided on Avon ZZ3's as i've had them on my work wagon and tjhey felt pretty grippy. (£159.88 fitting inc.)

Anyway, that's what the overtime cash is for i suppose. :D

ford use a injection cleaner cant remember the name but the dealers sell it ive heard its fantastic stuff maybe worth a try ide imagine if it was the injectors you would feel the car holding back

Strange thing is the car runs sweet until high revs in fourth and then does a little cough and then carries on as normal.

If the cleaner does no good then I think the next step is either cam position sensor or fuel pressure sensor on the rail.

£200 for a service :|.

I've never paid for a service, but clearly I'm saving a LOT of money doing it myself!

&#33;Removed&#33; to "Ford approved" replacements!

The parts used were exactly the same as Ford would use, the only difference is they aren't sent to Ford so they can stamp on their own logos and put them in a Fomoco box thus adding their mark up.

I'm pretty sure Ford charge a fair bit more than £200 for a major service.

Labour charge for the service was £108 + VAT, I would rather do a few hours overtime or swap my shift to earn £108 than spend time laying under the car in the rain. Each to his or her own, I know what I prefer. :)

Totally agree.

I don't dig out my Black & Decker every time I get a toothache.

;)

Labour charge for the service was £108 + VAT, I would rather do a few hours overtime or swap my shift to earn £108 than spend time laying under the car in the rain. Each to his or her own, I know what I prefer. :)

Fair enough. I don't really have overtime as an option, and I do enjoy lying under cards getting covered in manky oil :). So if I can do that whilst saving a ton, I will!

Plus at least I know it's getting done right if I do it myself. The amount of stories you hear about dealerships and garages not topping the oil up enough or over-filling, or bleeding the brakes and ending up with air in the system.

I always assume incompetence!

I can see your point, I used to do all the servicing when I had a Granada, but when I changed to the Mondeo it was a pig to get under and ramps threw the oil to the back of the sump, so that and now the Focus gets done at my local independent that I can trust to do it right.

I'll wait and see what the Wynns does.

Hopefully it's just crudded up injectors, if not then a Delphi engineer may be getting a booking.

Turning out costly for the car this month, 2 new tyres going on the front on saturday as they're to the limit, decided on Avon ZZ3's as i've had them on my work wagon and tjhey felt pretty grippy. (£159.88 fitting inc.)

Anyway, that's what the overtime cash is for i suppose. :D

160 each or for both?

Even i'm not mad enough to pay that for each tyre. :P

Update on the fault message, it's gone off again.

I'm seeing a pattern forming - it comes when wet and goes when dry so i'm thinking water has got to the fuel pressure sensor or cables.

At least i seem to be getting to the root of it slowly.

The injectors will still get a bottle of Wynns though, it can't hurt them. :D

in these cases if the cleaner doesnt solve it then it is worth paying for the live diagnostics that way you dont pay for expensive parts that dont solve the problem

• 5 months later...

Hi Lads,

I have just got the same fault coming on my car. The mechanic plugged it into his handheld diagnostics and no codes came up but when I did the dashboard test I got DTC #1 9601.

Clive I have the same problems as you as in no limp mod but if im crusing along it would give a tiny boost. What did you find was the problem with it?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club