Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Difference Between Sony Dab And Standard Strero

scotthunter

Hi,

I've just brought a nearly new Fiesta Metal but it doesn't have the Sony DAB radio, just the standard Ford mobile-inspired one with bluetooth. To be honest I dont like the look of the Sony interface, the buttons are way too small. What's the sound difference between them and can I still play music wirelessly from an iPhone with the Ford original?

Scott

The DAB one plays DAB radio stations and both Sony's (standard/DAB) are better sound quality than the standard Ford one.

The Ford one can also play music from an iPhone yes.

I currently have a new Focus (loan car) with the DAB version of the standard headunit.

I can confirm it sounds as bad as the non DAB version!

The Sony badged unit is supposed to sound better, but if its anything like the Sony fitted to the Mondeo, the difference is marginal.

What about the Speakers, are they any different in the cars fitted with Sony DAB from the cars fitted with the standard Ford stereo? Also, is it easy to upgrade to the Sony DAB?

The 'premium' Ford Speakers do not have paper cones and they have additional low pass filters built into the Speakers.

Tbh, going from my friends Fiesta Style with standard audio equipment to my Sony DAB headunit, it does sound a lot better. Bass is punchier and sounds overall crisper.

I think its a case of what you havn't had you won't miss, to me my music and radio sounds great on the standard blue tooth stereo and remember the blue tooth version has 6 Speakers not two. It also works with skype and youtube :)

car_photo_491749_25.jpgIMAG0385.jpg

My car I've put a deposit down on has the stereo in the top picture. I haven't actually viewed the car, but it was only £12,290 for a black '11 plate Fiesta Metal with 4,800 miles with keyless start and "DAB Bluetooth" but without the Sony badge. Had to snap it up because it's a steal, although I didn't realise the Stereo was non-Sony. The dealer thinks it's a DAB although can this true being a Ford stereo? This is a little confusing - anyone know any more about the various stereo options? And would the Speakers be the same "Premium" ones as the Sony option? I'm guessing it would be relatively easy to upgrade the front end panel but I don't want to be ripping out Speakers!

The Sony radios do require careful setting up to get the best out of them or they will sound worse than the standard Ford radio. FM is generally better than DAB at the moment for signal coverage and sound quality but FM will have fewer stations, DAB will improve as more bandwidth is released and transmitters are upgraded.

Stormin, do you know if the Ford unit with bluetooth has USB for iPod playback? I'm not to concerned with radio sound quality but I want the best sound from the other sources i.e. CD and iPhone.

Not sure on USB on the latest radios, you will get the best quality sound from burning MP3s on to CDs rather than feeding in the iPhone.

I would disagree, MP3 is compressed audio, I think playing music from an iPod/iPhone ripped at a high bit rate such as Apple Lossless through the Auxillary or USB input should theoretically sound the best.

You may be right, but low compression MP3 is excellent without the added electronic iPhone circuits between the amps, audio quality is very subjective, give both methods a try and see which you prefer, I have tried both and find it difficult to tell the difference but prefer the convenience of not having to connect the iPhone each time I get into the car and remembering to take the phone with me when I leave the car.

The best sound upgrade you can make is to get better Speakers.

Stormin, do you know if the Ford unit with Bluetooth has USB for iPod playback? I'm not to concerned with radio sound quality but I want the best sound from the other sources i.e. CD and iPhone.

USB is an optional extra so some will have it, others won't.

I have a full Sony DAB radio that I'm thinking of selling. It has the control fascia, cd unit and screen. It has different connectors than my 2009 bluetooth radio and can't be arsed trying to sort it.

PM me if anyone's interested.

My Sony unit doesn't have USB even though is in the Titanium trim, not a problem though as the MP3 + Aux port covers all the options I need for music. I copy music from Spotify onto Minidisc and feed them through the Aux port, new bands every day, MAGIC! :D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club